Half link question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Half link question

I've got an XTC carbon that I'm currently running ss. I can't use an EBB with my current crankset, so I'm using a Soulcraft Convert tensioner. It works great, But I'd like to run without it if possible.

I don't want to drop the money on an eccentric ENO hub'd wheel just yet, so my only other option is trying to get a halflink to work with my current gearing (32x20). I know chainstay length will determine whether or not I can make this work, but is there a formula I can use that will tell me first whether or not this is possible? I have no idea what the magic gearing is for this bike. I know Adam Craig ran a 34x18 with a half link on his XTC, but I'm not Adam Craig, so that gearing is out.

Thanks

Bro Mountainbiker
    Use the 4 teeth rule.
    Adding 4 teeth in all will create the need for a whole link of chain. (inner half + outer half)
    Adding (or subtracting) 2 teeth total will create the need for a half link to be installed.

If he can run 34x18 with a new chain, you can run 32x18 with a new chain + a half link.
    or
    32x20 no half link
    32x22 with a half link.

And so on.
    Hope that helps!

P.S. I have never gotten a magic gear calc online to work for me.

Or a magic gear for that matter
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good clarification. I'm currently running 34x18 on my EMD. I'm not sure I will be able to turn this gear in the hills so I've thought of sticking a 20t out back. Adding a half link will get it done.

Thanks.

How hard would a 36x16 be to turn?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This helps a lot actually. If I can run 32x20 with no half link I'm golden. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Use the 4 teeth rule.
    Adding 4 teeth in all will create the need for a whole link of chain. (inner half + outer half)
    Adding (or subtracting) 2 teeth total will create the need for a half link to be installed.

If he can run 34x18 with a new chain, you can run 32x18 with a new chain + a half link.
    or
    32x20 no half link
    32x22 with a half link.

And so on.
    Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks, Jim, for the info on the 4-tooth rule. I didn't know that one! I, too, have not had lots of luck with the online calculator.

My Slingshot had a magic gear at 38x16. I wanted to get closer to 2:1 ratio, so I moved to 38x20. Alas, it was not magic, and I had to add a tensioner.

So, I guess you can call the 4-tooth rule a rule of thumb.

local trails rider
    This might help with figuring out chainstay length vs. gearing:

http://eehouse.org/fixin/fixmeup.php

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Bro Mountainbiker
    Did you get a new chain when you added those 4 teeth? I was pretty sure that is exact.

I have used it in the past with a filed axle(for adj) and it has always worked. But the filed axle could take up a few mms of change
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi Jim -

No, it was an old chain. That could account for the difference.

Filed Axle?!? What is this insanity!??

I've never heard of that trick. I assume you can file a bit of your axle and not loose strength? I suppose you could file a bit of your dropout as well...

Yeah, perttime, that's the online calculator that I've seen before. But, as a noob, I can't say I've really put it to the test, either.

Interesting conversation. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

mtbr member
    If the chain is too tight by 1-2mm, you can file a flat spot on the axle and it will gain you a hair more space. Bonus with a filed axle is that, after ykour chain stretches a bit, you can then rotate it to the rounded spot and take up the slack.

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Use the 4 teeth rule.

or
    32x20 no half link
    32x22 with a half link.

And so on.
    Hope that helps!

This is most but not the whole story. When you move to a taller (harder) gear ratio, keeping with this "4-tooth rule," the angle between the two lengths of chain increases, necessitating a shorter chainstay. This is why, when you get your dingle dialed in on the 31/19 combo, your chain is too tight when you try to move it to the 34/16 combo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Oh, that makes sense, Zaskar! With the 38T front, I do have a larger diameter ratio between the front and back, mixing it up a bit.

I made the hills tonight with my 38x20. So, I'm interested in a 38x19 2:1 ratio now. Between half-links and flat-spots, I hope I can make the magic!

I hope I've not usurped I.A.N.'s original post! Still, good conversation!

Members who have read this thread: 0