half link installation question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

half link installation question

A quick question about installing a half link.

My chain is not especially old but is getting saggy. I'm using the Soulcraft convert in push-up mode (with a zip tie), but I've run out of room to get tension because the roller is going to interfere w/ the chainstay. 34x17.

So I'm thinking I will put a half link in there. By my calculations, I may even hit a magic gear; we shall see. My question is: With my existing SRAM 8-sp chain, am I correct that I could replace a link with a half link (yes, a narrow one), the old way, with a standard chain tool, simply by backing out two pins and installing the half link, again the old way with a chain tool? I'm asking because in the modern era I've only used Shimano 8sp chains, and I think I would not be able to do this w/o using Shimano's break-off pins and violating their "no adjacent break-off pins" rule/guidance. Thoughts much appreciated.

Any thoughts on whether my chain will be too long to continue to run push-up mode would also be useful. . .

Now with flavor!!
    First, I would go to a shop and get them to check your stretch with a chain checker. You may actually be stretched out too much to be getting good engagement on your ring/cog if it's changed that much.

I only have a dirtjump bike set up as a SS but I'm sure you lay down just as much power on an xc ride setup with a 2:1 gearing.........and for much longer periods. For that reason, I use a bmx chain. They stretch less and have good pin overlap that shifting chains lack.

But if you need to keep your weight down, I'd still get a sram chain because you can do what you're describing without having to worry about the break-off shimano pin BS.

Even with that I took a hammer and a punch and flared out the pins on my half link just in case. Maybe that's an option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I am currently using magic ratio

Quote Originally Posted by wunderhorn
    A quick question about installing a half link.

My chain is not especially old but is getting saggy. I'm using the Soulcraft convert in push-up mode (with a zip tie), but I've run out of room to get tension because the roller is going to interfere w/ the chainstay. 34x17.

So I'm thinking I will put a half link in there. By my calculations, I may even hit a magic gear; we shall see. My question is: With my existing SRAM 8-sp chain, am I correct that I could replace a link with a half link (yes, a narrow one), the old way, with a standard chain tool, simply by backing out two pins and installing the half link, again the old way with a chain tool? I'm asking because in the modern era I've only used Shimano 8sp chains, and I think I would not be able to do this w/o using Shimano's break-off pins and violating their "no adjacent break-off pins" rule/guidance. Thoughts much appreciated.

Any thoughts on whether my chain will be too long to continue to run push-up mode would also be useful. . .
    If you can take up the slack in the chain and get the next pins to match vertically a half-link may work. If you are not close you will not be able to get the wheel back into the drop outs without a lot of tension. I can have the chain loose enough to hit my chainstay and still not get a 1 tooth bigger cog = 1/4 link to fit in. It takes a lot of slack for a half link to work. With the chain that loose only had it pop off once in a month.

Also with a sram pc-68 chain i could not get an 8 sp Powerlink to close on a KMC 7/32" halflink. I had to buy a KMC 7.3mm Missing Link for the whole thing to work. Just using a standard pin on a sram chain with a kmc halflink maybe cutting it close.

thump thump
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    If you can take up the slack in the chain and get the next pins to match vertically a half-link may work. If you are not close you will not be able to get the wheel back into the drop outs without a lot of tension. I can have the chain loose enough to hit my chainstay and still not get a 1 tooth bigger cog = 1/4 link to fit in. It takes a lot of slack for a half link to work. With the chain that loose only had it pop off once in a month.

Also with a sram pc-68 chain i could not get an 8 sp Powerlink to close on a KMC 7/32" halflink. I had to buy a KMC 7.3mm Missing Link for the whole thing to work. Just using a standard pin on a sram chain with a kmc halflink maybe cutting it close.
    Why don't you take the guesswork out by using a gear calculator? Who knows - your chain might end up too short. Why ride a sagging chain anyways?

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/index.php
    "What is truth?" - Pilate to Jesus

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Try a Spicer half link, used them successfully when was riding a converted frame.

Search the forums for a thread about magic ratios, tons of options there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by artbeat
    Why don't you take the guesswork out by using a gear calculator? Who knows - your chain might end up too short. Why ride a sagging chain anyways?

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/index.php
    Well the whole thing started out tight as a drum with a new chain. On the park chain checker it stretched to about .45 and started hitting the chainstay. I put a 1 tooth bigger chainring to take up the slack but the rear wheel was a no-go or super tight in the drop outs. I think another .2 and it will fit.

Members who have read this thread: 0