half link chains- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

half link chains

I am thinking to get a half link chain as I was a bit unlucky with finding the magic gear. i ve tried a half link but no luck. Do you think a full half link chain is worth it? Thanks

meh... whatever
    no. two half links equal one length. half link chains look really cool though.

try tinkering with your cog/sprocket combo and you can get the gear inch you want. ive have yet to find a frame that i couldnt magic gear and get pretty much the exact ratio i wanted by playing around with the cog/sprocket combo.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    no. two half links equal one length. half link chains look really cool though.
    I was just wondering....... I can use a halflink chain on a geared bike. Can't I??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No you cant. The half link is nit meant to be shifted. It has not enough lateral play.

Welcome to the Gem...
    who makes these half link chains? how much do they cost? where can i get them? do they come in black!?
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Interesting theory:
    <O
    Half link chains will have more give when pedaling due to the bend in each link's plate.<O</O
    <O
    Conventional chains have flat (straight) plates, which provide a straight linear transfer under pedaling forces.<O</O
    <O
    Half link chains have links with bent plates which eliminates the direct linear pull of a conventional chain, and would seem to cause each plate to have a slight bit of flex (microscopic, but when you have several links, it would increase).<O</O
    <O
    The point of my theory is that I think half link chains would reduce pedaling efficiency (due to links flexing under hard pedaling), and have the tendency to stretch quicker causing faster chain and chain ring wear, not to mention be more subtle to breaking.<O</O
    <O
    Now it may not be that noticeable if at all, but I believe it would exist.<O</O
    <O
    Any brilliant minds out there that would disagree?

New River Scorcher
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    who makes these half link chains? how much do they cost? where can i get them? do they come in black!?
    http://www.theshadowconspiracy.com

They should still make their chain in black and it is readily available through most LBS catalogs or through an online distributer. The chain is good times had by all, and Shadow parts have yet to give me any trouble on my BMX.

Craig

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    I have the black shadow conspiracy on my dirt jumper. Super cool looking and strong but a little on the heavy side if that matters to you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    Interesting theory:
    <O
    Half link chains will have more give when pedaling due to the bend in each link's plate.<O</O
    <O
    Conventional chains have flat (straight) plates, which provide a straight linear transfer under pedaling forces.<O</O
    <O
    Half link chains have links with bent plates which eliminates the direct linear pull of a conventional chain, and would seem to cause each plate to have a slight bit of flex (microscopic, but when you have several links, it would increase).<O</O
    <O
    The point of my theory is that I think half link chains would reduce pedaling efficiency (due to links flexing under hard pedaling), and have the tendency to stretch quicker causing faster chain and chain ring wear, not to mention be more subtle to breaking.<O</O
    <O
    Now it may not be that noticeable if at all, but I believe it would exist.<O</O
    <O
    Any brilliant minds out there that would disagree?

i'm not trying to disagree,(nor do i have a brilliant mind) but do you think that we are really capable of making that kind of torque with our legs? i just think that the ammunt of deflection that you are talking about might only be made from something mechanical loading the chain.

i have a 1/2 link chain on my road/commuter. i haven't had a bit of issue with it, seems silly strong, i mean they use these on race BMX and wicked awesome dirt jumper's bikes. i don't see these failing under the kind of loads that we are capable.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPCHBRKHE
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    I had the shadow chain on my SS before I went to a frame with horiz deopouts. Worked great - maybe a little heavier, but strong and never had an issue with it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timaverage
    i'm not trying to disagree,(nor do i have a brilliant mind) but do you think that we are really capable of making that kind of torque with our legs? i just think that the ammunt of deflection that you are talking about might only be made from something mechanical loading the chain.

i have a 1/2 link chain on my road/commuter. i haven't had a bit of issue with it, seems silly strong, i mean they use these on race BMX and wicked awesome dirt jumper's bikes. i don't see these failing under the kind of loads that we are capable.
    I was just doing some unnecessary thinking since I'm off for the next week and a half. I also think the half link chains are beefed (BMX) chains so there probably isn't any issues aside from weight.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    I ran a Shadow for about 6 mos, broke it. (That's about typical for me, maybe a little longer than average actually)
    Now I'm running a KHE.
    I like them, as they don't bounce off or get dropped, ever. I have yet to dropa a chain, or worry about re-tensioning in midride. I've done endurance races on these things, and never have to worry about dropping chains as they stretch. All chains will stretch during a 100 mile ride, but these are heavy enough to keep them on your cog during that time.
    It may seem a bit curmudgeony to go with a heavier part, but I've got a ti frame, Mavis crossmax front wheel, carbon everything, so I don't mind adding the extra grams if it means not fu$%ing with the thing. That's why I ride SS, no fu%$ing with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How do you connect the two ends of the chain? Is there a bolt or do you have to press a pin back in?

HIYAH
    You press a pin in...although the shadow conspiracy uses a large pin that may not work with all chain tools... SC makes a chain tool just for their chain.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

default title
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo
    I was just wondering....... I can use a halflink chain on a geared bike. Can't I??
    There would be absolutely no reason to put a half link on a geared bike. The dérailleur keeps the chain tension.
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Good job! Would I?

Hi, I have bought a Gusset Slink Narrow Half Link Chain, I have single speed, my dropouts are verticle, i have a dmr simple tensioner on, i was wondering if i would need to keep my tensioner on my bike eve if i had a half link chain?? Thanks For Your Help

one chain loop
    you are the first one to know when you put the chain on.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm

Thanks For Replying But What Do You Mean? (Y)

one chain loop
    if you put your half link chain, cut it short and think that it is tight enough without using your tensioner, then you are good to go. if you have cogs to play around, find your magic gear. but, if you are comfortable with your gearing and the chain looks sloppy then you know you still need the tensioner. half link is not always the answer.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Mate !!

What's that smell?
    I run two, just to be safe.

Have u seen these brakes?

Two chains?

What kind of hub is that in the back? Does it use two freewheels or is it a fixie? Neat set-up.

What's that smell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli-Ti
    What kind of hub is that in the back? Does it use two freewheels or is it a fixie? Neat set-up.
    Freewheels on a custom Phil Wood hub.

Have u seen these brakes?

Two freewheels.

That is a seriously sweet set-up. I may end up doing that myself. Here's why. I work at a place miles from where I live and if I am late I get in serious trouble. If a chain ever broke I could still make it to work in time and replace the broken chain later. Very utilitarian. I like it. Also, I bet I can find someplace that sells overstocked right-arm cranks for a cheaper price because who buys two right arms anyhow. How much did that hub run you and does anyone else make dual freewheel hubs out there or most of them fixed one side freewheel the other?

What's that smell?
    Erik, the owner of www.slipperypigbikes.com is the mastermind behind this dual drive.

He can provide you with specific details, but only call if you can spend a little money through his shop since he's busy and runs his shop to advance cycling and to make money.

Tell him Stinkyboy sent ya.

Cheers!

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli-Ti
    That is a seriously sweet set-up. I may end up doing that myself. Here's why. I work at a place miles from where I live and if I am late I get in serious trouble. If a chain ever broke I could still make it to work in time and replace the broken chain later.
    Why not carry an extra chain with removable links? Or just a short length of chain and a chain tool?
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

indigosky
    I needed to get two KHE chains as one wasn't long enough for my average chainstay length MTB frame.

Keep that in mind.

Members who have read this thread: 0