mtbr member
    Jul 2004

hadley vs king (loudest)?

Are the hadley ss hubs as loud as a king hub? I know king's have a reputation for being one of the loudest hubs on the market, but can't find any comments about the hadley in this department, I am looking for a good quality hub like the king but not nesacarily the assoicated noise, everyone rates the hadley highly for quality but no mention of noise like the king, is this because they run reasonably silent? Would like to hear comments from someone who has used or heard both hubs as to their thoughts as to which was the quieter hub.

Thanks MAMOI

Nope got nothing
    I have about a 100 hours on a Hadley 108 Pt. and it is very quiet. I hear they loosen up (grow louder) a bit when they are fully broken in, but nothing like the "angry Bee".

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I just picked up my new king wheels from the shop, and the owner commented that the sound was louder than his 108pt hadley.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    My ears are still ringing from the 300 or so miles I have put my Hadley's. I love them performance wise, but the noise is killing me. I got a single speed to have a quiet ride, no chain slap, derailluer drag or shocks compressing, but the Hadley is way louder than my set of Crossmax or KingsI have heard. I would still choose Hadley hubs over the King for money and durability reasons, but if I had it to do all over again I would reseach the noise factor and find a less noisy hub. CK
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have both hubs, the King is much louder. I have had the Hadley for months and the sound never gets too loud. It stays almost silent until you ride for 3 hours or so. Then it starts buzzing. I have a King BMX hub, it is deafening
    pay me

Steamroller

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    I have both hubs, the King is much louder. I have had the Hadley for months and the sound never gets too loud. It stays almost silent until you ride for 3 hours or so. Then it starts buzzing. I have a King BMX hub, it is deafening
    Both have a buzz, the product of having many engagement points. I think the King is a bit louder. The Hadleys buzz too and I hear it more because it's on the SS bike and I coast more on downhills because I'm spun out.
    Last edited by Mattman; 05-23-2005 at 12:19 AM.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    I have both and the Hadley is definately louder. Although it could be a matter of break in time since the Kings are new.

FWIW I am selling the Hadleys laced with Mavic 819USt and Tires. Non-SS specific.

pm me if interested.

I also have a silent set of Phil Wood Single Speed wheels for sale in the classifieds.

mtbr member
    is there anyway to reduce the noise of a hub???
    Truffle Shuffle

The king is on fire
    my abbah is pretty loud

Steamroller

Never coast! Just pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    If you never coast the hubs are virtually silent. The more you coast the more they buzz. Sorry I could not resist.

Actually I've heard using a heavier lube quiets them some, but it is not a good idea as it may cause the pawls not to engage as well.

I don't know why you would want to quiet a great hub anyway. How else can people tell you' ve got a cool bike when it's dark out.
    Last edited by Mattman; 05-23-2005 at 09:43 PM.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    I'm not sure if I care which is louder. I just can't imagine a sound more beautiful than the King hub. Wait a minute. One sound is better and that be the cowbell on my bike. Sweet harmony.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamoi
    Are the hadley ss hubs as loud as a king hub? I know king's have a reputation for being one of the loudest hubs on the market, but can't find any comments about the hadley in this department, I am looking for a good quality hub like the king but not nesacarily the assoicated noise, everyone rates the hadley highly for quality but no mention of noise like the king, is this because they run reasonably silent? Would like to hear comments from someone who has used or heard both hubs as to their thoughts as to which was the quieter hub.

Thanks MAMOI

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Those who have loud Hadley hubs - do you have the 108 pt. engagement models? They seem to me to be quieter than Kings, but the standard Hadleys may indeed be noiser.

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla

The noise has to due with the amount of grease in the hub. If you want to tone it down, pack more grease in the hub. The older the hub is, usually the louder it gets. The grease breaks down with age. I have also seen new King hubs that have had greatly differing amounts of grease packed in them, thus resulting in different buzzzz levels.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"