Hadley Hub adjustment- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hadley Hub adjustment

So my hadley rear hub has developed some play recently. I notice it when I move the wheel side to side. I removed the wheel and it shifts a millimeter or two side to side. Much more play than any other hub I have used. I searched the site and became even more confused. Obviously no manual was shipped with the hub. Any thoughts on how to adjust? I did find the following info but others say the play is normal.

<B>
    1. Remove the cassette and the disc. You don't absolutely have to, but it makes things easier and will keep lube off your disc.

2. Use the two tools to break the threads free on the two end caps. (Lefty Loosy)

3. Once the threads have been loosened you can finish removing the end cap (usually the cassette side).

4. Turn the hub so it is standing on the disc side and pull that end cap and the axle out of the bottom of the hub (disc side).

5. Gently pull upwards on the cassette body and it will pull free of the hub body. You can now see the pawls that engage your hub. From this point you can also remove the needle bearings in the cassette body. Play close attention to the direction of the seals and bearings.

6. Wipe down all the parts as clean as you can and check for any wear or cracks. In most cases the hub just needs some fresh lube.

7. I use a little light grease on the axle and bearings faces.

8. Slide the axle back through the disc side so it is coming through the cassette side hub bearings.

9. Reassemble the needle bearings and cassette body. While doing this coat the needle bearings with machine oil (not grease). Machine oil is a light oil also referred to as sewing machine oil. With the hub facing up (cassette side) fill the ratchet area with machine oil.

10. Slide the cassette body back onto the axle and into the ratchet ring. Extra oil will ooze out.

11. Install the end cap and tighten snuggly, but not so much as to cause much drag.
    </B>

Feeding your addiction
    There's a bearing preload ring on the disc side that you tighten with a pin spanner. You want to tighten it just enough to remove the play, if you overdue it you'll be putting excess pressure on the bearings. I have all the Hadley tools if you want to come up sometime and we can do it here. I'll be in this afternoon from about 2-5, and afternoons all week.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    [email protected]
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    There's a bearing preload ring on the disc side that you tighten with a pin spanner. You want to tighten it just enough to remove the play, if you overdue it you'll be putting excess pressure on the bearings. I have all the Hadley tools if you want to come up sometime and we can do it here. I'll be in this afternoon from about 2-5, and afternoons all week.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    [email protected]
    Larry, thanks for the tip. I will give it a whirl first and see if I can adjust it properly. If not I will drop by this week. Thanks again for the reply. I figured it was something simple.

-Jason

Members who have read this thread: 0