H-bars and rigid forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

H-bars and rigid forks

Hi Guys,

I am riding a rigid Karate Monkey with a salsa cro-moly h-bars and it really rattles my hands in the chop and in downhills. What kind of bars to people use with their rigids? Carbon? Titanium? Anyone have some advice for me? thanks!!!

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Get some carbon MaxM MX6 and forget about them. Stinking strong, nicely damped, cheap (for carbon), and less than half the weight of your current bars! They're the most comfortable bar I've ever used, and I got them to cure the same thing that ails you - achey and numb fingers.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

carbon good, ti even better

carbon bars definitely take the edte off the high frequency stutter bump stuff better than any al or crmo bar. but ti does this as well, and in addition, ti bars have a slight "give" that carbon bars don't so they not only take the edge off stutters like carbon, they also damp bigger hits better'n anything else. well worth the price.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by scarface
    Hi Guys,

I am riding a rigid Karate Monkey with a salsa cro-moly h-bars and it really rattles my hands in the chop and in downhills. What kind of bars to people use with their rigids? Carbon? Titanium? Anyone have some advice for me? thanks!!!
    Drop bars. They put your hands/wrists/elbows in a better position to absorb bumps and it is easier to grip the bars in the rough.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I use carbon bars no matter what. why carry an extra 1/2lb if you don't need to.
    As far as dealing w/ bumps... looks like you want a suspension fork, not handlebars.
    Even the first Model-T Ford had suspension...don't be a hater..... =)

Quote Originally Posted by scarface
    Hi Guys,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Sounds like you need a bigger/softer tire

Sounds like you need a bigger/softer tire instead of different bars. there isn't much that will smooth out big d/h besides a big soft tire and/or a suspension fork. That Karate Monkey will take 3" gazzi (26" wheel) that you can run much less than 20psi. It's diameter ends up being almost the same as a 29" wheel/tire combo.

I'm currently running a 3" Gazzi at something less than 20psi (probably around 12psi) and a Surly Karate Monkey fork. Lots of clearance, plenty of squish, not a huge amount of inefficiency (just makes me stronger) and that rotating weight is great for getting up over hills with.

Just a thought...oh, I also use H-bars, but they are made by Jeff Jones.

bike ON

bob

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    Sounds like you need a bigger/softer tire instead of different bars. there isn't much that will smooth out big d/h besides a big soft tire and/or a suspension fork. That Karate Monkey will take 3" gazzi (26" wheel) that you can run much less than 20psi. It's diameter ends up being almost the same as a 29" wheel/tire combo.

I'm currently running a 3" Gazzi at something less than 20psi (probably around 12psi) and a Surly Karate Monkey fork. Lots of clearance, plenty of squish, not a huge amount of inefficiency (just makes me stronger) and that rotating weight is great for getting up over hills with.

Just a thought...oh, I also use H-bars, but they are made by Jeff Jones.

bike ON

bob
    Yup. The Gazzi 3.0 makes for a wonderful ride and traction. I use mine with my KM fork (it will not fit in my sussy fork). I have ridden it with as little as 8 psi.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I am not doing any serious epics, just that i get the numbness and sore hands on longer rides. Prolly go with the MaxM MX-6, or if I am feeling rich, the Moots Ti. thanks!