GXP crank with BB30 direct mount ring?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Gigantic Hawk
    Reputation: dubthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,563

    GXP crank with BB30 direct mount ring?

    Is it possible to use a BB30 direct mount ring on a GXP crank? It appears that the BB30 ring has less offset than a Boost ring (flat vs 3mm) which would provide me with more clearance between the ring and the chainstay. Anybody have any insight on this? Thanks.

  2. #2
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Is it possible to use a BB30 direct mount ring on a GXP crank? It appears that the BB30 ring has less offset than a Boost ring (flat vs 3mm) which would provide me with more clearance between the ring and the chainstay. Anybody have any insight on this? Thanks.
    Short spindle bb30 yes. You summed it all up in your post.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  3. #3
    Gigantic Hawk
    Reputation: dubthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Short spindle bb30 yes. You summed it all up in your post.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Thanks. It makes sense in my head, but having never physically seen it, I wanted to ask.

    Is there any compatibility issues between the GXP crank and the BB30 ring (assuming both are using the Sram direct mount standard)?

  4. #4
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Thanks. It makes sense in my head, but having never physically seen it, I wanted to ask.

    Is there any compatibility issues between the GXP crank and the BB30 ring (assuming both are using the Sram direct mount standard)?
    No they both use the 3 torx. Ill post up a pic of a wolftooth short spindle bb30 DM on a XO gxp crank on a RDO later today or in am. Now we are speaking specifically about ss where chainline is important but not as much as gears. Geared id say could have issues. Its the same as some using gxp boost like you said. Basically focus on the offset then decide how you want to get there. Gxp,boost,bb30.

    With the biocentric thats exactly why its a bb30 on a gxp so that can clear the stays better.

    To add. Chainline is important on ss but you only have to line up with one cog. Thats what i mean. Geared have to be a range.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  5. #5
    Gigantic Hawk
    Reputation: dubthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    No they both use the 3 torx. Ill post up a pic of a wolftooth short spindle bb30 DM on a XO gxp crank on a RDO later today or in am. Now we are speaking specifically about ss where chainline is important but not as much as gears. Geared id say could have issues. Its the same as some using gxp boost like you said. Basically focus on the offset then decide how you want to get there. Gxp,boost,bb30.

    With the biocentric thats exactly why its a bb30 on a gxp so that can clear the stays better.

    To add. Chainline is important on ss but you only have to line up with one cog. Thats what i mean. Geared have to be a range.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I originally bought an AB oval boost ring for my new Canfield N9, but it doesn't clear the stay. I can either buy a lower tooth count or a BB30 ring for better clearance. I run a Lunar cog out back, and I believe I have plenty of space to push it outboard.

  6. #6
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Thanks. I originally bought an AB oval boost ring for my new Canfield N9, but it doesn't clear the stay. I can either buy a lower tooth count or a BB30 ring for better clearance. I run a Lunar cog out back, and I believe I have plenty of space to push it outboard.
    What size you trying to run i have a never used 32?

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  7. #7
    Gigantic Hawk
    Reputation: dubthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    What size you trying to run i have a never used 32?

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    I put on a 32 (30 small, 34 power) and it would catch the stay as it entered the power zone. A regular boost 32t may clear, but I don't have one to try. Ordered up a BB30 30t oval ring instead. I have several cogs so I can make it work, and it'll have more than enough clearance. I'll throw the 32t onto my fattie.

Similar Threads

  1. Which direct mount chain ring for bb30
    By mxracer394 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2016, 03:13 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-13-2015, 06:06 AM
  3. North Shore Billet Direct Mount BB30 Chain Ring
    By ALS650L in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
  5. Homebrewed ring direct mount on xo crank?
    By yeti-j in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.