GT Peace whaddya think?- Mtbr.com
    solid gold plated

GT Peace whaddya think?

a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da_eddio

The Peace 9er was on my short list of 29er singlespeeds. I eventually chose something else, but the GT spec looks pretty nice, and the price is great.

The drawbacks of the 9er were that it isn't disc compatible (although I currently don't use discs, I want to have the option to upgrade later if I choose to), and I'm not a fan of EBB bikes (but that's just a personal prejudice of mine).

I went with the Monocog.
    “The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there”---Robert M. Pirsig

Poorly Disguised Poser

only one problem...

The only problem I know of is actually getting one. They seem to have underestimated the rate at which these things would sell at the price they put on them.

I have no idea if they are any good at all. I know a bunch of people that wanted to find out and couldnt get one, because they sold out fast.

The lack of brake options is a turn off for me personally, but for the v/canti brake lovers out there, it ought to be a great budget bike.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The GT Peace 9er has good geo and nice fork for money I think.
    Lack of rear disk tab is questionable (and it come with front disk hub!),
    but one of my friend got it with Magra HS-33, so no more worry for braking.

While on our local trails, he had serious EBB slippage. After fighting with it
    and we found crack at the fixing bolt hole area of BB shell.
    I'm no expert for EBB, so don't know how it come to these trouble but my friend got it
    back to LBS and now he ride Kona Unit 2-9 (no more EBB for him).

-Aki

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i rode the GT peace 29 at interbike, slowest handling of all the 29rs i rode. positives: cheap. negatives: EBB, no disc tabs, slow handling.

Live Free Or Die!
    One more thing to consider: Maybe they changed it by now, maybe not, I am not sure. This bike has a much higher gearing ratio on it than most single speed 29ers. Most have a 20t cog in the rear, but this one has a 16t.

Poorly Disguised Poser

not really...

Quote Originally Posted by GCG199
    One more thing to consider: Maybe they changed it by now, maybe not, I am not sure. This bike has a much higher gearing ratio on it than most single speed 29ers. Most have a 20t cog in the rear, but this one has a 16t.
    Many of your lower priced 29er SSs have funny gears. The Jamis Exile comes with a 33x16. Laughable for many ares of the country....but a freewheel is 20 bucks or less (for cheap ones like you might expect on a bike of this price)...and that is hardly a deal breaker. You will probably find yourself changing saddles, stems and bars on a lot of bikes you buy...just to customize the fit/control preference.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    I considered the Peace but couldn't wait so I just built up a Zion.
    I am CHEAP

mtbr member
    I just got a second hand 26" version from Ebay. I'm a fan of the triple triangle and didn't think they'd ever make a steel one. I liked the earlier Ruckus frame but haven't liked the recent changes.
    The Peace is a sharp looking bike. I think the parts spec is a bit average but it's built to a price and I'll change what I don't like. The 26" has disc brakes and an okay set of WTB/GT wheels. The Tektros have gotta go.
    Its definitely not as fast as my monocog but the monocog is far from standard.
    At the end of the day you've gotta ride it. Buy something that grabs YOU. If someone else says its crap that's not your problem but theirs. I've wanted a Peace since I first saw one. I'll modify the crap out of it and I reckon it'll be fantastic.

Members who have read this thread: 0