GT Peace or Haro Mary?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GT Peace or Haro Mary?

I've got a GT Peace (26"), and don't have any problem with it, but I've got the chance of getting a used Haro Mary frame (29er).
    Leaving aside the obvious differences with the wheel size, is there any difference in quality/weight/strength between the two?

Low Rep Count
    I can only speak on the GT Peace. I have one and I have replaced absolutely everything on it except for the frame and seat clamp! If I could do it all again, knowing I was going to end up swaping everything, I would have just gone with the 29r to start with.

I think the Haro may have better paint than the GT. The matte finish on mine seems to scratch really easy due to a lack of a nice clear coat on it. I also had quite a bit of rusty water leaking out of mine every time I roade through some water or cleaned it. Bought some frame saver stuff and have not seen it since.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    keep the peace

Low Rep Count
    Ok, I just took a look at the Mary. I think the two bikes are very comperable. Wheels/cranks are pretty much the same. Both ahve chromo frames/forks. Mary has a nicer stem. GT comes with Easton bars/seat post (I bent my seat post). So, if I was starting from scratch, sure I would probably go with the 29r. But seeing how you already have a Peace, I would keep the money you would be spending on the 29 and upgrade the Peace! Just my .02

Here's a pic of mine after several upgrades. New photos coming soon as I have gone back to a rigid fork among a few other changes. Peace OUT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Peace or Haro Mary?-peace.jpg  

Apr 2007
    As 1SPD said, they're very similar in quality and strength. I say go for it. Especially since you're looking at going from a 26" to 29". Always better to have tried and loved than never to have tried at all.

Low Rep Count
    If you are looking to make the move to a 29r then yes, its not a bad option. You could always sell the 26r. In fact I am sure that folks might even be interested in the frame right here on the board if not on your local Craigs list.

Totally up to you bro. But they are pretty much spec'd the same to answer your question.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I'll stick with my Peace!
    It's already fully blinged up, like 1spd, the frame (& forks) are just about the only standard parts left. The only thing I was looking for on the Mary was if it was a better quality frame, I'm not bothered either way about changing to 29er. Maybe if I could afford both?

Low Rep Count
    Glad to hear it. I know that if I did have the funding, I would certainly go ahead and build a 29r w/ my choice of parts and set them to as close as identical sizing as possible and ride them back to back to see what really makes me happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0