GT Peace 9r - can I use a 100mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GT Peace 9r - can I use a 100mm fork?

I just got a 2010 GT Peace 9r and I want to upgrade a few things. Among the upgrades I am looking at getting a suspension fork and in particular the Tora SL 100mm. I know the frame is corrected for 80mm. Is 100mm going to work?

Thanks,

Robin

mtbr member
    Why?

It will slow the steering down. Adding a 20mm longer fork is like making the head angle a bit over a degree more (I read that somewhere) hence making the steering slower. It will also raise the handle bar height. So if you like riding a "chopper" style bike ie goes good in a straight line and you like the "sit up and beg" riding position go for it.

I notice Niner bikes are starting to use shorter forks. Maybe a lesson to be learnt there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It'll work fine, but as mentioned it'll steer slow. This will make it more stable through rough stuff, but will make tight turns harder. It's just a matter of what you want to use the bike for. I ride a Banshee Scirocco with a 160mm fork (Fox Float 36 RC2). It steers like a truck but I love being able to plough into things with an abject lack of finesse and have the bike just figure it out.

It'll also put more strain on the headtube. Being a steel frame, this should be fine so long as GTs welds are up to scratch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would go for it. On the trails that I like to ride and the way that I like to ride them, a slightly slacker head angle makes things more fun. You may notice the front wheel wondering on climbs a little bit more than the stock fork, but totally worth it on the way back down.

EDIT: I also want to mention that 20mm is not a very big difference when it comes down to it. U-Turn/Talas/ATA... all of the travel adjustable forks have way more than a 20 mm range.
    Last edited by DanD; 03-27-2010 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I talked to the guys at my local LBS (bought the bike online) and they had similar suggestions. They said that the 100mm will make climbing a little more squirly, but it will actually improve the handling on the way down.

Gigantic Hawk
    Head angle is 72* on the M and the L. Changing it to 71* with a fork change won't be that big of a deal. The Peace is a quick steering bike to begin with.

mtbr member
    I have a small frame...

Loving it so far...handles great. Ordered new brakes, saddle, seat post, headset, fork...today. I have a nice stem to stretch me out a bit. A little bit of bling to make her sweet.

So much fun!

Thanks! I will post pics once she is complete.

Gigantic Hawk
    I replaced my seat, handlebar, stem, and tires so far. I also switch between 18 and 20 out back when needed.

The seat, I replaced with an ISM Adamo because I needed a short nosed saddle.

The bars were swapped for a Gnar bar. Truely a sweet handlebar.

The stem was swapped because I wanted something shorter.

I recently put on a set of Bonty FR3's for tires. These things are massive-ly awesome.

I have a set of Blunts being built up, and will hopefully have a new rigid fork for it soon (have a new headset waiting for the fork.)

The Peace is a great platform, and is plenty fun. It is a bit heavy, but it is quite stable while hauling as s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbybird
    I just got a 2010 GT Peace 9r and I want to upgrade a few things. Among the upgrades I am looking at getting a suspension fork and in particular the Tora SL 100mm. I know the frame is corrected for 80mm. Is 100mm going to work?

Thanks,

Robin
    Nice. Was that the Peace that you had borrowed when I saw you last?

You should bring it up here to Annadel!

Members who have read this thread: 0