Grips and bars for rigid fork SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Grips and bars for rigid fork SS

Enlighten us on your choice of bars and grips for rigid fork single speeding.

Last month I did a long hard ride on my Ti 26" rigid fork SS. There was one long steep and chunky downhill in particular that put the hurts to me.

I am still feeling it a month later.

Now it's not so bad I won't ride the rigid bike, but it's the first time I have been punished in this manner. Punished for thinking I could get away with it; get away with no suspension and slim hard grips.

The grips on have on that bike are some lock-on types, with metal rings to hold them on tight. I like this kind of grip, on an FS bike because they are so easy to service.

I put these on this SS bike over a year ago because of some sort of available convenience, and have been wanting to change them for a long time because they are too hard and those metal compression rings, bug me, particularly on the outside edge.

The other issue is that my wide bars, feel like they need more sweep. The hinge of my wrist doesn't match the bar angle and the pressure spikes behind my thumb on the big hits.

I did well on the DH, survived at the least, but actually thought I could damage my wrist badly as I descended more and more, even though, at the time, I didn't feel any pain. The soreness manifested the next day.

So I am probably going to try some sort of ergo grip and not swap the bars. My thinking is that in theory, it would be possible to change the feel a great deal with just a grip, and go from there.

In the past I have shunned ergo grips with the "palm flap" because they don't feel good to me for a secure grip. But I have noticed there are varying degrees of this available now. (I have full on Ergon grips on my fat bike, and have grown to trust them, on the other hand).

I was even thinking, kind of along the lines of the angle-set headsets, it ought to be possible for a company to design and manufacture grips that could turn any bar into a deeper sweep by rotating around a parabolic core. But I have seen no such thing...(Maybe a patent on this design someone?)

Anyway, show us, or tell us about your grips and handlebar combinations
    Likes and gripes please.

I will show photos of my set ups later in this thread.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

jl
    climb
    oury lock-on grips
    soma clarence bar
    YMMV

Grips and bars for rigid fork SS-img_3117.jpg
    Last edited by jl; 07-14-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    • Kona Project 2 fork (soon to be replaced with a correct original Specialized Direct Drive cro-mo fork!!!)
    • Chromag FU40 bars, 780mm wide (I may take an inch off of each side eventually, just evaluating that now)
    • ODI Vans lock-ons (because Vans)

This is my "smooth singletrack" bike, so I don't encounter a ton of chunk, I have my SC 5010 for that. This is merely a training tool as well as a reminder of why I fell in love with mountain biking to begin with back in the late 80's.

Grips and bars for rigid fork SS-img_1392.jpg
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    I'm using ESI Extra Chunky grips and like them a lot. The bar is just a Crank Bros aluminum that I got on sale for cheap. Works but nothing special. I'd love to try carbon someday.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    i use ergon grips and love them. i'd like to try out some togs too. i run some random chromag bar that the previous owner installed.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I use ESI ergos, the ones with the thicker outer section.

These always seemed a bit crazy to me, but they do exist: https://revgrips.com/
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Those adjustable sweep grips you wish for are a real thing
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/producti...it-review.html

jct
    mtbr member
    fork: Ti
    wheel/tire: 39mm internal with 3" chupa
    bar: RF haven 35mm
    grips: ESI extra chunky

i initially tried to use some Easton lock on grips but was experiencing a lot of numbness a little too frequently even with gloves. the chunky grips helped to alleviate that problem but i can still get numb on long descents or really rough trail. my rides are up to 30 miles with up to 4500ft climbing.

shown below with older easton grips.

Grips and bars for rigid fork SS-chubb.jpg
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oury "mountain" grips. Glow in the dark version if you're rad

mtbr member
    Wow great replies everyone. Keep them coming.

On my commute to work on a cross bike I was enjoying the foaminess of the bar tape and began to think about custom wrapping the grips for the shape I think I need. But also, it would be very easy to over do it and make the grip much too fat.

Here's the grip on the SS I was talking about in the OP:

mtbr member
    Both of these ar Ti bars with ESI Chunky grips. I'm 57 and I have wrist issues.This combo is great

And yes, there are rocks everywhere i ride

Grips and bars for rigid fork SS-img_2360.jpg
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Regular oury grips, Forte carbon low-rise bar. I run Oury/carbon low-rise on my SS hardtail & geared fully as well.

JMJ

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Imho: Esi Grips with a carbon bar. That's it. Nothing less nothing more. I have a Niner one Nine alum. frame with rigid niner carbon fork on my SS. I could not ask for more. I tried ergons with the SS, they are good with other "suspension" bikes. However with SS, I am "all over the grips". Meaning on Steep pulls , I stand up and wrap my hands under the grips for extra leverage, other times I am relaxing my hands and letting them ride in different places. You can't do that with an Ergon. Ok. I've laid the gauntlet down, let the ERGONITES light their torches!

IN other words: If you want to ride your SS in the City Park around tennis courts using Ergons will work beautifully, however if you are riding Single track up mountains, you will appreciate the ESIs. No I am not employed by either manufacturer. I will add that Ergons are the "Best Grips" for Mtbs with suspension. ENJOY your SSpeed, I think they offer the most fun per pound of any mountain bike!
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I am using ESI Extra Chunky wrapped with silicone bar tape, Easton Haven carbon bar, 3" barends for climbing and alternate hand positioning for flats, Niner carbon fork, 2.6 Nobby Nic (cushy and light), Salsa Ti frame, Ti swept back seatpost, knees and elbows and making fast lines smooth - all adds up to a smoother ride - at least for rigid.

WillWorkForTrail
    Ergon grips with a low rise carbon bar. Eventually rigid got to me anyway, and I put a suspension fork with a bar mounted lockout on my SS. Although it's "one more thing to service" on the bike, I don't feel like it diminished my manhood any. The bike is still fun.

Always in the wrong gear
    S-Works Carbon flat bar,
    Red Monkey Klampz grips. They're basically lock-on ESIs. I'm trying these at the request of my LBS owner friend. I've had them for a few months; they're neat (and HUGE), but I'll go back to ESI chunky or extra chunky soon.
    Grips and bars for rigid fork SS-img_0554.jpg

(yes, I know the bike has a suspension fork in the pic. My bike is rigid 2/3 of the time). You mentioned "the FS bike"- I've found that my first ride back on a rigid fork after a long time on the Reba is rough because I don't ride as 'loose' as I should be. Technique could be playing into it as much as grips. All the same- cushy grips sure are a help.

I've used Oury, 3 kinds of Ergon, 2 kinds of ESI's, 2 kinds of ODIs and now these. I think ESI extra chunky is my favorite.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Enlighten us on your choice of bars and grips for rigid fork single speeding.
    Last rigid SS I set up was my 2007 Raleigh XXIX. It currently has ESI chunky grips (extra chunky would be better if you don't have small hands). That bike always killed my wrists even with a carbon fork/2.4 tire/ESI grips/carbon bar setup. At that time I still had a couple of bikes with 25.4 bars and noticed they had considerably more flex to them so tried it on the Raleigh and was the best thing I did for wrist comfort. Not sure if it's feasible to go that route now because of limited stem and bar (wide enough) availability. A bit more flex was the key and having a rigid carbon fatbike I'm considering converting to SS I hope to find some good ideas here for a bar with more modern stem clamp size and 750mm width. Thanks for starting this thread!
    Mole

Grips and bars for rigid fork SS-004.jpg

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post

...even with a carbon fork/2.4 tire...... having a rigid carbon fatbike

Excellent points I hadn't noted- tire volume. I could probably ride with duct tape around the bars and get reasonably comfortable ride with a 3.0 tire at 10psi up front.
    I've gotten way too soft for that level of manliness. Somedays I still opt for a 3.0 tire AND a 100mm suspension fork.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

EXORCIZE
    The other issue is that my wide bars, feel like they need more sweep. The hinge of my wrist doesn't match the bar angle and the pressure spikes behind my thumb on the big hits.

I did well on the DH, survived at the least, but actually thought I could damage my wrist badly as I descended more and more, even though, at the time, I didn't feel any pain. The soreness manifested the next day.

So I am probably going to try some sort of ergo grip and not swap the bars. My thinking is that in theory, it would be possible to change the feel a great deal with just a grip, and go from there.
    Trying to fix bar sweep with new grips is a dubious strategy. There are those eccentric grips someone posted. And you can make sure your bar is already rotated toward you as much as you'd like (increases backsweep but decreases upsweep). Or you can try a bar with more sweep (hardly uncommon among rigid SSs).

In the past I have shunned ergo grips with the "palm flap" because they don't feel good to me for a secure grip. But I have noticed there are varying degrees of this available now. (I have full on Ergon grips on my fat bike, and have grown to trust them, on the other hand).
    The "enduro" grips from Ergon (GE-1) have a bit of "flap." They're super popular, I love them, and are my second favorite for a rigid SS (hard to beat ESIs). You can rotate the GE-1s a bit to dial in personal fit (hand position and how much you want it to encourage an "elbows out" position) which sorta feels (?) like changing your bar's back sweep.

For a bar, I like an uncut carbon riser with at least 9d backsweep, currently running an Easton EC70 720mm (no longer available).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Running a stock kona xc/bc 780 bar with ODI ruffians. Now that I have callouses on my palms I don't see ever wanting to change grips.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    5-6° up, 8-9° back and 750mm wide carbon bars and 110mm wide ESI Chunkies with TOGS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am using the Niner RDO... ow top bar I think it is. The one with the wonky advertising saying it is for shorter female riders, that most people thought was an afterthought when they realized it wouldn't have wide appeal. Well, it didn't, so $80 got me a carbon bar with some bend to it! I don't currently have a built up rigid SS, but a ROS + is waiting on wheels right now, and it'll have the aforementioned bars and probably a set of Ergon's with bar ends to start, and if those don't work, Red Monkey Sports grips that are on my ROS will be what I use.

As for the pain you are feeling a month later, a ride down a washboard jeep trail... 4 or 5 years ago on a fatbike with a rigid fork caused me to develop periodic tendinitis, so this is an area I focus on quite a bit. I am only trying rigid again because I'll have 29x3 up front, carbon bars this time, and better selected grips. It'll be an experiment for sure, but I am hoping it keeps the vibration down a little bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Watson Cycles Parkerino Ti bar, ESI chunky grips.
    29x3" tires.

That setup replaced a niner carbon bar and ergon grips. For me it's a winner.

mtbr member
    A whole panoply of grips and bars being put to good use out there for sure!

Lots of good ideas.

BTW, Today, on another forum thread I bumped into some grips that people were absolutely raving about called Revolution Grips, which had something like 1/8" of suspension in them. (revgrips.com).

Before I put on the thin Origin8 lock on grips I used to always run a variety of finned BMX grips, which I will probably be using next on that bike.

The minor wrist pain I received was exacerbated by running too high of an air pressure on my 2.5" front tire. On a previous DH that morning I flatted due to the tire rotating and shearing the valve stem base of the inner tube. Because of that, on the much longer and more technical descent, I paused at the top and put more air into the tire in order to increase the pressure of the tire bead against the rim wall to prevent tire slippage.

So yeah, I should be running tubeless. In fact, I already have an i35 Scraper rim, spokes, hub, etc, to mount up a 2.8 tire on the front, and had intended to have that on that bike before that ride, but didn't. So I do think there is reason for hope.

If I have some bar tape around, I will try to wrap the bar for sweep and ride it. I do have tape, because I can use the commuter bike's old remnants after I replace them soon.

This weekend a did a pretty good ride on another SS, this one with a steel fork, going off some drop offs, and crossing some deep ruts, and felt fine. So I'm feeling happy and grateful that my wrists are recovering well.

A third SS is being built as well. This one has a suspension fork. It also has the Answer 20/20 bar. So I will be able to experience that sweep. It appears to be a good choice to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Mutt View Post
    Watson Cycles Parkerino Ti bar, ESI chunky grips.
    29x3" tires.

That setup replaced a niner carbon bar and ergon grips. For me it's a winner.
    That Parkerino looks like one of the best bars out there! It's not cheap either. But he'll, it's worth it no doubt.

Nutrailer
    I can't comment on bars but I experienced wrist pain with previous 'skinny' grips and those that support your hand like Ergons. My current grips on my rigid forked Cooker are cheap rubbery BMX style that have a shoulder and over these I have over sized foam grips that are advertised for motorbikes but fit perfectly and again are cheap (is there a theme here..)
    The wrist pain is gone and that combined with experimenting with the front tire pressure has cured my wrist pain.
    I've now added these same foam overgrips to my fat bike's lock-on grips and find them much more comfortable.

Name:  PHOTO_20170717_091552.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  22.4 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just to add (and I think you've already alluded to this), but grip preference is incredibly personal, just like saddle preference. Lot's of people have experienced wrist pain or discomfort (myself included) with thicker grips, as well as with thinner grips.

When it really comes down to it, I believe things like bar position, fit, and riding style are far more significant in how your body feels. Moving to really soft or squishy grips may be immediately satisfying, but could be glossing over another issue that will still show up mid-ride.

Riding rigid exacerbates these potential issues, especially because you have to ride higher tire pressure even with a tubeless setup if you ride your bike hard. I found this out first hand when I destroyed my front rim last weekend because of low tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ibis Lowfi carbon bars
    ESI Chunky Grips wrapped in Lizard Skin Bar Tape

The Lizard Skin bar tape adds a little extra padding but more than that it is a very grippy material it allows me to relax my hand grip on the bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm riding a rigid 2017 Unit SS with stock bars and grips (2.8" 27.5+ Nobby Nics tubeless ~19psi, LEV Dropper and SLX brakes) but getting some hand and fingernumbness on descents. Also seem to be aggravating some tendon pain in 1 finger but no wrist pain. I ordered a RF Next 3/4" riser bar and Oury mountain grips and I'm excited to try them out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Enve SWP bars with ESI Racers Edge grips on my rigid. Love the setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    also remember there is a lot of subtle technique to mastering riding rigid. Sounds like you are holding on too tight maybe; trying to hard to guide the bike instead of letting it ride? working on rigid downhill technique takes time; i think a lot of folks throw a suspension fork on before they ever really "get it". you gotta let the bike do it's thing and try to get loose enough so your body can get out of it's way...

sorry for the rigid bike technique sermon; on topic, i use generic silicon grips cause i cant afford the esi's when i regularly tear the hell out of them. the metal outer collar of the traditional lock-ons doesn't work for me at all; but i got friends whom it works fine for.

mtbr member
    I prefer bars which are close to parallel or with a big sweep. We really work our wrists on a single speed and to my thinking using a straight bar (a hangover from the days of inadequate stem clams) puts our wrists at an unnatural angle.

I like dropbars for the parallel positioning, but bar ends do the same job, and I'm also happy with a swept bar like the On-One Mary which I use for 24 hour events and more technical stuff.

But everyone differs.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is gloves. I have a pair of gloves that has me in great discomfort after an hour while the other pair are fine. They look very similar.

Maybe it's just the gloves?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use an old 25.4 bar and some ergonomic grips

mtbr member
    Been liking my Red Monkey Klampz silicon lock ones. Meaty, cushiony grip, with 780mm Niner bars
    Last edited by socal_jack; 07-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    A friend of mine bought a pair of bars, carbon, made in France, that flexed like a leaf spring, some years back.

He's a total weight weenie, and went back to road riding. He pretty old but is the top of his category on local climbs.

His mountain bike was a super light old school aluminum 26" Giant with a rigid Trigon carbin fork.

This handlebar flexed on one axis only, the vertical (although you rotated it inside the stem clamp to preference) obtaining perhaps up to 1 1/2 inches of travel on severe impact.

I tried the bars by pushing on them from the side. The bike was much too large for me to ride. Felt actually good.

He could descend in perfect control.

At the time I chuckled to myself about these handlebars and how they were merely a manifestation of his peculiar personality.

But now I would like to try them, and even buy them off him, just for the novelty, if he no longer used them.

Seemed like they might be dangerous.

mtbr member
    I've gone through a number of tire/bar/grip combinations over the years, and have settled on moderately swept bars with ESI Extra Chunky grips. before the ESI grips, I thried a few different styles of Ergons, and while they were comfortable for easy riding, I found they were not ideal for techy rocky trails, as they are harder to hold onto. I had a couple of close calls where my hand almost slipped off the bars. I never tried the 'Enduro' version with a smaller wing though. I decided to try the ESI Extra Chunky and really like them. At the same time I started experimenting with 'Alt' bars with extra sweep, and decided I really like those! I also figured out that the Ergon grips don't match well with swept bars. I currently have on different bikes: Ti Groovy Luv handles, Ti Jones Loop bar, carbon Origin8 Space bar, & aluminum Origin8 Space bar, and like them all. The Luv Handles have a bit less sweep than I would prefer, and the Jones have more sweep than I prefer for techy riding, but the Jones bars are awesome for longer less techy rides. My favorite are the carbon Origin8 which are unfortunately not made anymore. They all have ESI Extra Chunky grips, although I need to change out the grips on the fatbike because they are too fat for me when riding with winter gloves.

Also, I always gravitate toward fat rubber in front, I'm a big Plus tire fan!

viva la v-brakes!
    Ritchey WCS TruGrips are a durable foam that are very shock absorbing. Much better than any rubber grip I've used, cushier and much tackier than ESI. I think people discount them because they are foam, but I get two seasons out of them on average.

I use carbon bars on my SS, usually whatever I can get on discount blow-out pricing... but lighter bars are more flexy. In a perfect world I'd have bars with a 12° sweep.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jones Bends and Ergons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jones 710 H Loop Bar
    ESI Extra Chunky Grips

The grips are nice as they are tailor cut for the Jones Bar.

bike me, then beer me
    Jones 710 Bend H bar, aluminum.
    Ergo grips.

This puts my body shape in a very neutral position and makes it easier on climbs and decents. Hands are very comfy by distributing weight on the wide grip pattern.

mtbr member
    Hey folks, I read an article the other week on the Radavist which brought a website devoted to a graphic comparison of handlebars to our attention:

http://whatbars.com/

It's actually very cool, and anyone reading this thread would probably enjoy checking it out.

The database on it is not entirely complete, and as such something like it is always going to be that way. It's a work in progress I suppose. However I did see some bars on there I'd never heard of.

The central graphic feature allows the overlaying of handlebars on a grid to compare their shape. The view doesn't allow 3D rotation so you can see the effects of rise and other subtleties. It is still a great website.

The perfessor
    - ESI Chunky on an Easton carbon bar........does well.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Here's a screenshot from whatbars.com

I've selected 4 different bars. One is obviously the Jones loop and the integrated stem is the Ritchey Carbon Bullmoose (which is super expensive).

Try to guess the other two.

Downcountry AF
    I really like my Enve bars and ODI Rogue grips. Handlebars are nice and compliant and have good angles. Grips are big and grippy.

I also have SQ Labs Carbon 30X 16 degree handlebars on my SS Krampus. Nice and wide and nice and sweepy. Same grips.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.