great idea.............or so i thought- Mtbr.com
    -arschloch-
    Apr 2004

great idea.............or so i thought

well, since my last post got chewed up in cyber space, i'll try again.

I put a marzocchi MX comp air fork on my paramount series 90 SS tonight. i had the fork laying around and i felt i was getting a bit too beat up riding fully rigid on the paramount. well, as it turned out, the fork slacked the headtube angle waaaay the hell out. duh, non-suspension geometry frame + 85 mm fork = slack azz head angle.

the ride of a slack head angle doesnt bother me, in fact i like it for bombing, but i worry that i am gonna rip the headtube off frame. off my beloved-been-through-thick-and-thin-lived on-three-different-continents-with-me paramount. yes, i just might be a bit too attached.

you might say that i should just through a fatty fat tire up front with the rigid fork and be done with it. unfortunately, the old paramount fork only takes a 2.1 tire max! damnbit!

what to do? i see three options:

1. ride with the 'zoke. i've ridden the frame with suspension forks in the past, albeit 50 mm travel units. (imagine 50 mm. looks kind of funny in type these days doesnt it?)

2. ride with the paramount forks and 2.1 tire. in other word stop being such a damned wussy. SSers are tough guys and gurls.

3. find a non-susp corrected rigid fork that can handle a fatty fat tire. does such a thing exist?

i am kinda leaning toward number two. what do you all say?
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    1) ride with the 'zoke... if the frame means so much to you, have the headtube welded back on after it breaks off... and at steeper angle with gussets.

Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    ...the ride of a slack head angle doesnt bother me, in fact i like it for bombing, but i worry that i am gonna rip the headtube off frame. off my beloved-been-through-thick-and-thin-lived on-three-different-continents-with-me paramount. yes, i just might be a bit too attached.

you might say that i should just through a fatty fat tire up front with the rigid fork and be done with it. unfortunately, the old paramount fork only takes a 2.1 tire max! damnbit!

what to do? i see three options:

1. ride with the 'zoke. i've ridden the frame with suspension forks in the past, albeit 50 mm travel units. (imagine 50 mm. looks kind of funny in type these days doesnt it?)

2. ride with the paramount forks and 2.1 tire. in other word stop being such a damned wussy. SSers are tough guys and gurls.

3. find a non-susp corrected rigid fork that can handle a fatty fat tire. does such a thing exist?

i am kinda leaning toward number two. what do you all say?

paintbucket
    4 -- Have #3 built.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Expert Pushing SSer

Go fer #2

Slap a carpet fiber bar on it too. Assume the rigid fork riding position; hangin your elbows out way outboard (watch the narrow tree spacing) . I expect there is a suppleness to a rigid fork from 1990. I know there was in the mid 80's anyway.

Cheers,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Planet X Superlight 400mm axle-to-crown
    2.5 lbs... $115 from webcyclery.com...
    ask meantodd about max tire clearance.

....3. find a non-susp corrected rigid fork that can handle a fatty fat tire. does such a thing exist?.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    thanks for the input fellas.

i rode it around a bit last night after posting and it didn't seem all that bad. I'll give this setup a couple of rides before i make a deciSSion.

maybe I'll eventually bring the whole frame to a builder and get it refurbished, painted and outfitted with a new fork. or maybe i should just hang the thing up and get a new modern SS frame sometime in the next decade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You could always modify the fork for short travel. Thus returning the headtube to normal.

Medium?

Beware

I converted a beloved Paramount frame for a buddy. Changed it (back?) to a rigid fork and a wide bar. It was beautiful, and rode very nicely. I rode it for a month, and finally he pried it out of my hands and rode it for about a year. Then the head tube developed a crack.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it's your beloved frame, convert it, by all means, but get another modern SS frame to ride as your everyday ride to make the Paramount last.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    I converted a beloved Paramount frame for a buddy. Changed it (back?) to a rigid fork and a wide bar. It was beautiful, and rode very nicely. I rode it for a month, and finally he pried it out of my hands and rode it for about a year. Then the head tube developed a crack.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it's your beloved frame, convert it, by all means, but get another modern SS frame to ride as your everyday ride to make the Paramount last.

what year paramount was it? schwinn used a couple of different factories for fabrication over the years...

I suppose you are also right though, it might be time to pick up a modern SS frame. i needed something to spend those heaps of cash they throw at us post-docs anyways.