Got the SS done... almost- Mtbr.com
    Gotta pay to play

Good job! Got the SS done... almost

Had this bike for about a month and a half now. I've been riding the **** out of it and loving it. A few days ago I got all the stuff from HBC to make it complete.

09' GT Peace 9er (New Old Stock)
    Titec J-Bar
    ESI Chunky Grips
    Jagwire brake cables
    Wellgo MG1 Pedals
    Home Brewed Components 1/8th 32T chain ring and 18T cog
    KMC Z510H BMX chain
    Purely Custom chain ring bolts, valve covers, brake end crimps
    Mandarin Orange Brooks B-17 saddle
    Incredibell Jellibell Bicycle Bell (Brrrinngg!)

I've got the Purely Custom Soft Touch Bash guard but I don't know if I want to put it on yet. I need longer chain ring bolts and I kind of like the look of the exposed blue chain ring with the orange chain.

I've also got a pair of orange HBC nut tuggers but they are too large for the Peace's drop outs- and will have to be grinded down. It's a job for a weekend when it is raining.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice ! Howzit ride ?

dirtbag
    Cool, I dig.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Nice sled! I dig as well.

Dig the grip/chain/cables accent....nice touch

Gotta pay to play
    Thanks for the compliments! It rides awesome. The J-Bar is really nice. The grip placement gives me some great leverage to pull my body down into the pedal strokes when I am mashing.

I've got to get better fitness and flow. But that is the never ending story to a rigid SS eh?

mtbr member
    At least you have a great ride to obtain that fitness and flow on! Well done!

Ahhh the pain....
    Michael...sweet ride....
    You must be a Broncos fan.....

banned
    Yeah, go Boise State!

Those J-bars are really interesting. I like the idea of different hand positions.

Gotta pay to play
    I don't really use any varied hand positions. But I've only been on sub 25 mile rides with the bike.

Gotta pay to play
    Hey guys,

Put a little under 600 miles on the bike so far. Gone up and down some pretty ridiculous stuff and have done some technical rock gardens that I would have thought impossible to do when I first got the bike.

Only had a couple of problems:

One is that my mashing kept ripping the rear tire forward into the track ends. I finally installed the homebrewedcomponents nuttugger a few weekends ago and the problem seems to have gone away. The Peace has very shallow and short track ends so I had to grind the nuttugger for a few hours to get it to fit. The ends of the drop out are also pretty thin, so it looks like the screw on the tugger can't get that good of a purchase and I'm worried that it is going to slip... But so far so good.

The only problem I've really had is the BB/crank arms. I really have to torque the **** out of the crank arm to get it to lock into the BB. Even then, it seems to only stay put for a dozen or so miles before coming out again. According to this review it seems to be a common problem with Truvativ Blaze cranks (I checked the chain line and it seems to be good). Lock tighted the chain ring bolts and the crank arm into the spindle of the BB but alas, it only gives me 40 or so miles before it shakes loose.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to some of the orange RaceFace Atlas cranks and BB. But that might be a little too orange with the bolts and pedals. Maybe blue? Maybe another brand? Maybe just deal with the maintenance? Have a $250 budget, what do you all think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Hey guys,

Put a little under 600 miles on the bike so far. Gone up and down some pretty ridiculous stuff and have done some technical rock gardens that I would have thought impossible to do when I first got the bike.

Only had a couple of problems:

One is that my mashing kept ripping the rear tire forward into the track ends. I finally installed the homebrewedcomponents nuttugger a few weekends ago and the problem seems to have gone away. The Peace has very shallow and short track ends so I had to grind the nuttugger for a few hours to get it to fit. The ends of the drop out are also pretty thin, so it looks like the screw on the tugger can't get that good of a purchase and I'm worried that it is going to slip... But so far so good.

The only problem I've really had is the BB/crank arms. I really have to torque the **** out of the crank arm to get it to lock into the BB. Even then, it seems to only stay put for a dozen or so miles before coming out again. According to this review it seems to be a common problem with Truvativ Blaze cranks (I checked the chain line and it seems to be good). Lock tighted the chain ring bolts and the crank arm into the spindle of the BB but alas, it only gives me 40 or so miles before it shakes loose.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to some of the orange RaceFace Atlas cranks and BB. But that might be a little too orange with the bolts and pedals. Maybe blue? Maybe another brand? Maybe just deal with the maintenance? Have a $250 budget, what do you all think?
    Good work so far.

As for the crank, I would tend to go with something slightly more generic, like an SLX crank (maybe polish it) or X7/X9 crank and then fit a chainring in your colour of choice. HbC do some great ones. Also, if you go the X7/X9 route, you have the option of going spiderless chainring.

Personally, I tend to stay away from RF, as I have had more issues with their crank interface rounding than on any other crank. And before I get crucified, that is with proper installation.

Anyway, my 2c...

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike -- I like the Mandarin Brooks and the J-Bar.

Apr 2007
    As the resident Shimano-homer, I'll suggest XT cranks. Zero issues with mine. They're stiff, light and cheap.

Shimano XT M752 Crankset at JensonUSA.com

Members who have read this thread: 0