HIKE!

Got some 21 tooth Surly Cogs today....

.....missed out on the few 20t and 22t cogs that appeared to float right in and out again from QBP, but I did manage to get a few 21t Surly Stainless Steel cogs. Look fine, seem SOLID, and smooth running. Worth the wait? Well I suppose so, won't be wearing these out very soon I'd expect. And under $30.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was in the same boat trying to find a cassette cog for my DX hubs...my LBS ordered me a cheap 20-tooth cog from QBP. The Surly cogs (IIRC) were drilled and looked pretty swanky...but the cheap cog wholesaled for less than $3; I think my LBS charged me $4 (all I know is I walked out with the cog and a Park 15/16 spanner for $9 + change).

I'm, of course, assuming you're talking about a standard cassette cog and not a 21-tooth freewheel But if I wasn't such a cheap bastard, I might have considered giving the Surly cogs a try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

surly cogs vs.dx

the surly cogs have a wider base and so wont ruin the freehub body on some hubs (some hubs have aluminium or titanium free hubs and the thins teel with gouge out the splines) The surly cogs are the latest and cheapest wide base hubs out there (range goes from under 30 for surly to well over a hundred dollars for a a singlestar cog from germany) Im currently running a king kog, but will replace it with a surly when it wears out...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My generic 20-tooth is the same width as the other Shimano cogs designated for the DX (3/32"), so I wasn't thinking there'd be any issues. However, that is good info to know about the wide-base cogs. I'll look for them in the future.

HIKE!

Novatec, Shimano, others...

I think Shimano stops at 18t, and Novatec makes a 20t. All of those are fine on steel freehub bodies. The BMX cogs are made for high rpm bmx use, so a high torque, low rpm single speed application can flex the bmx cogs and cause a derail at times, too.

So the Surly Cog option will be nice (once they are again in stock) for SS use, wide base for aluminum or titanium freehub bodies, and the availability of 13t to 22t sizes! and a bit less $$ than King or Boone and others. No flexy/flexy either.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I've been running a 21t form surly since it was available. It works very well on a monkey/cck setup. the wide base is really nice, the finish is great, and the base is offset to help fine tune chainline problems. As with other surly stuff, these live up to the whole, nice stuff, no bull**** creedo. Buy a few and enjoy!