Got the single speed hardrock going- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Got the single speed hardrock going

Got everything together and took it for a ride...the damn thing is skipping like hell. I tried adjusting my surly singulator but it still skips. Upon inspection I noticed that the singulator is slightly at an angle to the chain line. I assume this is causing the problem, the rear derailer mount looks sort bent or maybe thats the way specialized made it..Idk. I also noticed the cog was slightly off, so I naturally moved the spacers around to try and correct this..the damn shitty tool to screw the lock ring stripped out So now I'm stranded and can't ride it till monday when the bike shop opens. Ok /end rant. Heres a few pics. The chain isnt on bc the cog still needs to be tightened.

Out spokin'
    In my experience, sprung tensioners are finicky. And yeah, chainline is critical. Best of luck.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    see if you can install it in a push up position, only after you dial in the chainline. It will give you more wrap for the cog in the back.

What's that smell?

mtbr member

Did you ride the bike with the tensioner that far out of alignment?

The hanger might be bent (Specialized didn't make it bent, but they did make it soft so that it would bend instead of your frame). Even if it is slighly bent, it shouldn't prevent you from lining up the Singleator.

First you need to position the spacers so that the cog is directly in line with the chainring. Then you need to loosen the 4mm pinch bolt on the Singleator so that you can slide the pulley over so that it is directly in line with the cog.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath

Did you ride the bike with the tensioner that far out of alignment?

The hanger might be bent (Specialized didn't make it bent, but they did make it soft so that it would bend instead of your frame). Even if it is slighly bent, it shouldn't prevent you from lining up the Singleator.

First you need to position the spacers so that the cog is directly in line with the chainring. Then you need to loosen the 4mm pinch bolt on the Singleator so that you can slide the pulley over so that it is directly in line with the cog.
    No, it was lined up but I took it off to try and figure out the hanger. Thanks for the help guys, when I can get another tool I'll figure this stuff out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ok, today I figured out that the surly singulator is a pos. Put an old derailer on the back to tension..and what do ya know? Works like a charm. No skips or anything. Here are some pics.

one chain loop
    nothing beats an old derailleur, you can make your chain shorter to reduce chain slap.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the same problem with my rockhopper. The deraileur mount is tilted inward. I have a forte chain tensioner thats is useless since no matter how I position the cog and moving spacers to line up with the chain ring the chain just kept on skipping. I finally put the old deraileur hanger and it lined up perfectly but now my kmc 1/8" ss chain will not fit thru the hanger chain guide because of kmc's 3 plate last link.
    Dirt Sweat and Gears is only 4 days to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by treadlight
    I have the same problem with my rockhopper. The deraileur mount is tilted inward. I have a forte chain tensioner thats is useless since no matter how I position the cog and moving spacers to line up with the chain ring the chain just kept on skipping. I finally put the old deraileur hanger and it lined up perfectly but now my kmc 1/8" ss chain will not fit thru the hanger chain guide because of kmc's 3 plate last link.
    Dirt Sweat and Gears is only 4 days to go.
    My chain had a hard time fitting through the deraileur also. I just loosened up the screws holding the little gears on. Just loosen them a little bit and it should slip right through. Also I had an extra hanger from another bike laying around, I have it sitting through the skewer.

mtbr member
    The derailleur hanger is the part of the frame that you can mount either a derailleur or a tensioner too. In many cases, this is a replaceable, meaning that it can be removed and replaced.

A derailleur hanger should be properly aligned. If it is tilted, it is bent and should be replaced if replaceable or re-aligned if it is not replaceable. This does not differ between frames.

Some cheap tensioners have a habit of tilting when they are tightened. I have seen this on later generation Surly Singleators, but I don't know if this is a universal problem.

If you have to settle for using a derailleur to tension the chain on your singlespeed, you are better off using a 3/32" chain.

Members who have read this thread: 0