Is a good tensioner any match for other tensioning methods?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Is a good tensioner any match for other tensioning methods?

Okay, so I hope this isn't going too far over into tensioners in general which I'm sure has been covered a lot.

Basically what I want to know is whether a GOOD tensioner is truly a reliable way to run a ss long term.

I've used a Gusset, DMR, and old derailleurs in the past and never been totally pleased. For this reason I specifically sought out a frame that had sliders for my current fat bike.

However, I've now picked up a frame that I had every intention in the world of putting a 2x10 setup on until I realized that all the components I want to use will not work.

I had originally wanted to ss another bike for road and gravel riding but figured with vertical drops, this wasn't the one.

However since I can't go the direction I wanted to begin with, I'm re examining making it a ss.

Tensioners I'm considering are the Rennen rollenlager, Paul Melvin, Blackspire stinger, and Soul craft (if they're still made).

Are these really feasible long term ss options when compared to sliders, ebbs, track ends, enos, etc?

Thanks. Sorry for the long post!

mtbr member
    Why not an Exzentriker rather than a energy sucking tensioner? Trickstuff

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Downcountry AF
    ^ that thing is super cool, i'm just having a hard time envisioning how it works? never knew that existed, thanks for posting!!!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ that thing is super cool, i'm just having a hard time envisioning how it works? never knew that existed, thanks for posting!!!
    It's the bb. It only works on 24mm spindles. Had one with a middleburn crank. Will be using it on a Highball going forward. Its Chris King level machining. It is the bearings and the ebb all in one. Fits threaded bb. 24 only. Np gxp or raceface 30 etc.

You buy them from Kenny in Oregon he is the distribution for them in the states.

Edit, so it appears they can take gxp with the adapter from Chris King. Learn something new everyday!

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Since I'm going down the same road right now, I'll give my $0.02 (which may be worth less)...

I want to convert my Trek Crockett to SS for gravel. It has vertical dropouts, a goofy Press-Fit BB standard, and cantilever brakes. My desire is to be able to switch rear cogs over a small range (like 16t to 20t) to suit course conditions without needing to switch the chain length each time or dork with adjusting the brakes.

EBB is a no-go due to my frame.

ENO is a no-go due to needing to adjust the brakes.

Rubber roller style tensioners are a no-go due to drag and having to switch chain length with a cog change.

Single pulley tensioners are a no-go due to chain length.

That leaves either using a rear derailleur or dual pulley tensioners. Since I've had issues with mud destroying rear derailleurs in gravel races, I want something beefier. From my research, both the Paul Melvin and Rohloff (not DH version) fit the bill. I'm going with the Paul Melvin due to price and reviews. It shouldn't have any more drag than a rear derailleur, which is negligible. It also has more than enough range to take up the slack with cog changes without the need to switch chains. The only real downside is the (possible) slightly more cumbersome process of removing the rear wheel. That really depends on cog size though.
    Last edited by The_Mickstar; 12-10-2016 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That BB is a nice looking bit of kit that I've not seen before. Definitely food for thought. At roughly 150 euro's it runs a bit on the pricey side. What does the US distributer charge? I can't find pricing or anywhere to purchase them here....

Mick, your situation is nearly identical to mine. Something you mention that I may be interested in is switching cogs without having to use a different chain.

I'm really not concerned with drag as long as it's reliable.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    That BB is a nice looking bit of kit that I've not seen before. Definitely food for thought. At roughly 150 euro's it runs a bit on the pricey side. What does the US distributer charge? I can't find pricing or anywhere to purchase them here....

Mick, your situation is nearly identical to mine. Something you mention that I may be interested in is switching cogs without having to use a different chain.

I'm really not concerned with drag as long as it's reliable.
    Just under 200 to your door. Kenny at radsport is the us distributer.

Its the same price as a King bb but its an ebb and the bearings in one. Its aerospace quality.
    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm not totally sure on the trick stuff yet. 200 is a bit on the spend side (though totally worth it I'm sure).

A concern I have with the Paul is cog size as it sounds like 18 is the max. I'm not sure yet what I'd be running but hate to be limited.

Honestly the Rennen looks great. However on my Gusset Bachelor my chain actually cut through the roller. That would concern me with that type of tensioner again...

mtbr member
    I'm not totally sure on the trick stuff yet. 200 is a bit on the spend side ...
    It will last you forever. The only wearing part is the same bearing that you would be using in an ordinary external BB, and there's no drag from a pulley, or more importantly for me, nothing hanging down at the rear to get caught in the shrubbery or on rocks. Plus you save weight.

It's a no brainer and makes every frame with screw in BBs a singlespeed frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A concern I have with the Paul is cog size as it sounds like 18 is the max. I'm not sure yet what I'd be running but hate to be limited.
    That's not true. Where did you get that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Various posts on mtbr have mentioned the upper pulley be in too close on 18+ cogs. Of course after that I checked the Paul spec and they say 20t max so who knows...

Edit: of course now I only find one post in this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/p...er-800945.html

I think I'm over reacting anyways. 20t should be plenty big seeing as how it'd wrap 20 teeth up front. Dingle is sure looking like a potential option too.

But that excentriker is awesome....

I have till January to decide anyways.

mtbr member
    Shimano Alfine tensioner!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm using a Soulcraft Convert and have had no issues with it whatsoever. They still list them on their website, but don't have any instructions on how to order. It may be worth a phone call. Sean is always helpful.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    No love for the eccentric Eno?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    No love for the eccentric Eno?

I have one. Nice hubs.

There's a couple of gotchas though.

First is you need a dropout with a substantial flat area for the axle ends (take a look at an ENO and then think of adjusting it, and you'll understand). This works best with old fashioned flat plate dropouts.

Second is every time you adjust you also have to reposition your brake blocks/pads. A minor hassle, not major.

I fiddled around with just about every combination of tensioners, magic ratio (which I still use on one bike) and ENO hubs. Of the tensioners my favourite was the DMR.

That is why I settled on the Exzentriker which = end of problem.

mtbr member
    Good to know Velo.

I will be building one for my RMB Blizzard, one of the skinny 2.0" kind not the newly envisioned fatties. It has the flat plate vertical dropouts so hopefully there will be good contact to keep it in place. As far as the necessary adjustments for disc brake calipers, I already do that for the MUSS so no real issue there, at least for me. Worst case scenario is that if I don't like it I can always swap for a standard axle use it for the MUSS.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ...Worst case scenario is that if I don't like it I can always swap for a standard axle use it for the MUSS.
    Good point. That's an advantage I should have mentioned as well as the gotchas. It means you can move your wheel to another bike and use it just like an ordinary hub (with the appropriate ends on it).

WI make very nice hubs.

mtbr member
    What frame are you building up, and what kind of bottom bracket does it take?

My opinion is that any bolt on tensioner is a temporary solution. The various styles all have their ups and downs, but none are as good as a SS specific frame, be it EBB, sliders, or rockers.

I asked about the BB on the frame, because if it uses a PF30 or BB30, you can get a cheap eccentric that will work great. That Trick Stuff unit will also work great, but it's pricey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Old school: a Schwinn Moab frame from 1997. I won't have the frame in hand until the end of the month but it should have a standard threaded BB. The trick stuff would be the best solution but this is a $40 frame I'm building and can't quite swallow the cost of that (yet).

Thanks everybody for the info and suggestions.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm using the Soulcraft on my '01 Homegrown. The nice thing about the Convert, is that it doesn't rely on spring tension and it can be used in either the push or pull direction.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I have a frame that's not friendly with any solution except tensioners, so I settled on a fixed Blackspire Stinger -- and I love it!