Good rigid fork for SC Chameleon??- Mtbr.com
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

Good rigid fork for SC Chameleon??

Hey
    Quick Q and thanks to those for helped me out in my last post about making a Santa Cruz Chameleon single speed. I have two Chameleons and would like to break one down for a more winter-friendly commuter. To me, that means ditching the shock and throwing on a rigid fork. It's a blue bike so I'd love a black one. Any good suggestions on solid/affordable rigid shocks out there? I know none...Thanks!

mtbr member
    How about a Kona Project 2 steel fork . Or a Mosso aluminium one.

mtbr member
    Salsa CroMoto.
    Stainless dropouts, and better build quality than my original GT Peace jobs.

mtbr member
    Soul Cycles will soon have some of their new rigid forks available at good prices. Their Hooligan fork would probably be a nice match to your Chameleon.

mtbr member
    I've read positive reports of running the Surly Instigator fork (only comes in black) on Chameleons. Stick a 29" wheel up front!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ran a surly instigator(4" suspension corrected) on a chamaleon for the better part of a year, worked great! This was an older chameleon (circa 2000) so I'm not sure if the newer ones have a drastically newer geometry... However, it was definitly shorter then a 4" fox... Which isn't nesasarly bad...but I'd say it's closer to a 80mm fork... of course it does not sag or get shorter when you hit a rock so maybe it is closer to a 100mm in practice... Anyways it rode great. They're super cheap, and easy to get through QBP, albeit a little heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cockroach
    Salsa CroMoto.
    Stainless dropouts, and better build quality than my original GT Peace jobs.
    I'd second the Salsa forks - excellent quality for not that much money - and, as was suggested in the recommendation for the Surly forks, if you get the 425mm Cromoto's you can fit a 29" wheel with the biggest tyre you would want to use in there and with room to spare.

I'm using that set-up on my '95 Explosif and it's the best thing I ever did.

mtbr member
    I'm using a 420mm A-C fork on a chameleon and it definately needs a taller rigid fork. I'd look into a 29er fork since the Chameleon frame wants a 120-140mm fork. If you're running discs the extra height wont matter.

If you run a shorter fork you'll get a lot more pedal strikes and BMX-like twitchy handling at any speed. Out of the saddle climbing often requires steering adjustments because the steering is so sensitive with a shorter rigid fork.

Members who have read this thread: 1