Thread: Good Rigid Fork

mtbr member

Good Rigid Fork

I need a good rigid fork to replace my old Judy TT. Its 80mm travel, so I'm looking for around 425mm. I think? Big$$$ = Bad. I don't care how much it weighs as long as its under the 5 pounds my fork currently weighs. Thanks for any help.
    Trust me, I'm lying.

meh... whatever
    the surly 1x1 fork is excellent bang for the buck. 2.4 lbs, and under 65 bucks.

tange also makes a nice steel fork for a little less than $50. the tange is a little more flexy imho.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Currently in Exile
    I second the Surly fork. you might also check out Ebay. The 1X1 fork is "suspension correct for an 80mm travel fork. The axle to crown length is 413 mm. You have to remember to account for sag. Which the Surly fork does.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Offtime3123
    I need a good rigid fork to replace my old Judy TT. Its 80mm travel, so I'm looking for around 425mm. I think? Big$$$ = Bad. I don't care how much it weighs as long as its under the 5 pounds my fork currently weighs. Thanks for any help.
    kona p2.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The Salsa Cromoto fork has an axle to crown of 425mm. I have one on my Salsa Ala Carte now; it's a great tracking fork, much better than the Tange Prestige Direct Drive on my Stumpjumper.

In the rear with the gear
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    the surly 1x1 fork is excellent bang for the buck. 2.4 lbs, and under 65 bucks.

tange also makes a nice steel fork for a little less than $50. the tange is a little more flexy imho.
    Or you can get the Instigator Fork. While its a little heavier, closer to three pounds I think, its suspension corrected for 100mm. AC is similar to the 1x1 fork. Been riding with one for a couple of months and I love it!
    Get some Cycle Snack!

Iron Horse MKIII
    Q Ball 29er
    Fetish Fixed-ation 69er

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

+ 1 Salsa CroMoto

Straight blades look good. Good quality and rides "smooth"

mtbr member
    I love my Pace RC31, sure is light and has a little give. Expensive though

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replys (sp?) I was wondering if this was going to be one of the "ask too many times" question that never gets answered. Is the 1x1 suspension corrected for 80mm? I love the price on that fork and have heard great things about anything with the surly name on it.
    Trust me, I'm lying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

get the Surley, great value for low $

I replaced my Judy T2 80mm with the Surley 1x1. Taking boinger sag into account, and wanting some give up front, I calculated that if I put a fat 2.5 inch tire up front, the resulting set up left the rigid bike geometry unchanged from the boinger fork set up. The 1x1 is a no brainer - does the job and I like the curved fork look. I never worry about the 1x1 fork when I hit stuff (which I do with alarming frequency).

Members who have read this thread: 0