Good ratio for tight woods?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Good ratio for tight woods?

Hello. I have a stock Bianchi b.u.S.S. I think the gear ratio is 36x18. Well when I bought this bike I was living in the city and it was my daily driver. Now I'm in the mountains of New Hampshire and I'm finding it's hard for me to ride, let alone keep up with anyone in the woods. I have a geard 29er. But I miss my S.S. I would like some reccomendations for gearing for tight technical woods riding? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh tire reccomendations for my area would be cool too. I've been out of the loop for a few years and I'm excited to be getting back into biking again.

Out spokin'
    Can't help you with the tire selection as I don't live near you, but as for gearing, I recommend you gear for the climbs. You'll coast on the downs and spin out on the flats regardless, so choose a gear that allows you to walk as little as possible whenever the terrain tilts upward.

Tight woods... have some here in Oregon but personally this is not a factor in how I gear my bike.

Best of luck,
    Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Many factors and preferences on gear ratios, but for starters I would try something in the 36x22-24 range, (I'm usually on a 38x25 in Vermont, which is similar to a 32x21).

Same thing on tires, I'm currently running the Ardents, 2.4 front, 2.25 rear.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Go ride? Eventually you'll find it. If the ~50ish gear inches are killing you, I'd drop into the low 40s.

Apr 2007
    32x18.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    try a 22T cog and then maybe go down to a 20T (or even your 18T) when you get your legs back under you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd go to a 32 chain ring first, maybe even 30 if you have a lot of steeps.

Members who have read this thread: 0