Is this as good as it gets? (EBB chain tension)- Mtbr.com
    Rocket Boy

Is this as good as it gets? (EBB chain tension)

Hey folks:

I tried searching this forum as well as the web before posting this question here so I apologize if I'm missing something...

BUT... I am having some chain tension problems. I ride a GT Peace 26" singlespeed. It has an EBB and regular/quick release dropouts. My problem is that even when the EBB is positioned in the optimal spot for the greatest amount of chain tension, my chain still has a lot of play/slop.

Now, I haven't ever dropped the chain, but I would love it if I had a much tighter chain. Here's a video I took which shows the amount of slop I have. I rotate the EBB around so that you can see where I have to settle.

Video: https://www.phattire.net/blog/2009/problem.MOV

Thanks for your help,
    Arby

~Disc~Golf~
    is there enough slack at the rearmost position to remove a link (possibly a half link?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Rocket Boy

I have to try that...

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    is there enough slack at the rearmost position to remove a link (possibly a half link?
    I see what you're saying...

I could position the EBB such that I have the most slack and then see if I can get a link out of the chain... I'll give it a shot.

I've been avoiding removing links because I have this mental stigma about it... I feel that once you start removing links and reconnecting the chain that you'll have a weak spot in your chain that wants to break in the middle of your next epic ride.

Thanks for the advise,
    Arby

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Yup, you need to lose a link. Do you have a master link of some kind? Most chains do, you want to remove a link adjacent to the master link and then simply put the master link back together. That avoids any weak spots in the chain. If it is your original stock chain and you don't have a master link, you should probably get one. They are cheap and a heck of a lot easier to use than re-installing a pin, and will also avoid the weak spot you talked about.

Rocket Boy

Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    Nice bike.
    Thanks, I love it!
    Arby

Rocket Boy
    I understand completely now. Yeah, I'm definitely going to order up a half link and give this a shot. I've never worked on a bmx chain before though. I don't think I have a chain tool that can handle this. I'd prefer it if my chain were a regular ol' 9 speed chain. Here's a picture of the type of chain I have. Is this a 3/8 chain? Is a 3/8 chain what you call a "bmx chain"?

I'll post the results when I'm done.

Thanks for the help,
    Arby

nothing to see here
    Before you purchase anything, loosen the EBB and move it totally rearwards, and you should be able to maneuver the chain on the bottom part of the chainring to see how many links you can remove. You can do this without having to take the chain apart.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

holding back the darkness
    If there is a master link in your chain and you remove one of the links the chain will not lose any strength as you will not have removed/replaced any of the pins currently in the chain. SRAM makes a nice singlespeed chain like the one you have pictured with a pretty bomber master link that just takes horizontal flexion to open.
    I have also used the powerlink connectors that SRAM uses on their geared chains. I, personally, have never had a failure in a powerlink connector in the 8 years or so I have been using them.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    I understand completely now. Yeah, I'm definitely going to order up a half link and give this a shot. I've never worked on a bmx chain before though. I don't think I have a chain tool that can handle this. I'd prefer it if my chain were a regular ol' 9 speed chain. Here's a picture of the type of chain I have. Is this a 3/8 chain? Is a 3/8 chain what you call a "bmx chain"? I'll post the results when I'm done.

Thanks for the help,
    Arby
    FYI, you probably don't need that BMX chain; and it's 1/8" not 3/8. Generally a 7/8/9 speed 3/32" chain will work fine on most SS drivertrains. Only those drivetrains with an 1/8" chainring and/or cog would require a 1/8" chain, and I'm not seeing that. Also, a 1/2 link will be the weakest link in your chain. Your EBB is usually designed to take up enough chain without a half link. So, if you want to use a 9sp chain, then do so, but I would only use a half link as a last resort.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Rocket Boy
    Everyone:

Just wanted to thank you all for your advise. All I needed to do was buy a master link, remove a couple of links, put the master in and ba-da-bing! I now have a nice taught chain!

Thanks!
    Arby
    crappy iphone picture:

~Disc~Golf~
    word up dawg! .... yo

first image in a "word up" google search

~Disc~Golf~
    crap...now I gotta post the vid

Members who have read this thread: 0