Going ss on old raleigh- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Going ss on old raleigh

I have an 02 raleigh mountain scout that im converting to ss. In addition im exchanging the omni fork for a rigid fork and putting a new front wheel with a front bb7 and a 160mm rotor, but leaving the rear linear pull since it doesnt have rear disc mounts, anywho for the ss im just taking off the first and third chain rings and putting a bmx cog in the rear, but im relatively new to this so does anyone have any reccomendations as to anything else i should do? Singlespeed or otherwise, im gonna put some bmx style wheels on it since its gonna be mainly for riding around town
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How are you going to tension the chain? Magic Gear?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    There is a bunch of good reading in the Single Speed FAQ. I would check that out if I were you. Good luck, and post some pics.

mtbr member
    Well i got tge cassette off to find this threaded hub

Not quite sure about how to go about putting on a rear cog, and what parts ill need
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can thread on a BMX freewheel, but you will have to re-dish the wheel.

mtbr member
    I understand the bmx freewheel part, but i dont get what you mean by redishing the wheel
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

Dive Bomber
    Adjust the spoke to center the rim after you have the right chainline.

mtbr member
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    I guess then im gonna have to go see the b*tch in the lbs again or risk another one...i only go to the one i do bc i like the owner...ohh and i need a reccomendation on a crankset, i decided its highly unlikely ill be able to get the first and third chainring off without breaking anything, ill keep the same bb if i can, just need cranks and a chainring, ohh and what size cog and chainring combo should i get??
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Love my old Raleigh SS. I went crazy and did a complete overhaul on it. It helped that I got the bike free from a coworker. It's a '96 M-50 cro-moly frame. Weighed a ton before the conversion. Now it's a lot lighter, but still relatively heavy. It's a hoot to ride and it's fast! Ladies love me for it :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't do either one of those. Number 1 won't even work on your hub, and the Dicta freewheel sucks - you will want more engagement pawls. Minimum, an ACS or Shimano freewheel.

Re-dishing the wheel involves a truing stand (best, although I have done it on the bike) and a correct spoke wrench. When you remove the cassette freewheel, you will notice the rim will be out of line when it sits in the frame. To get it re-aligned, you will need to re-dish, or move the rim over (usually by an inch). Otherwise, the wheel will need to sit in the frame crooked for the rim to be centered.

It is the process of loosening one side, incrementally (like 1/4 turns) of the spokes and tightening the other side, which will "pull" the rim over until it sits center in the frame. You will also need to re-center the hub axle, because the drive side will be too long. Truing the wheel is always necessary when re-dishing the rim for an SS conversion.

If you replace the rear wheel with one that has a free hub body, then you can use DMR SS conversion kit. Otherwise, the thread-on wheel will take some work. If you stick with the threaded hub conversion, it appears you will still need some kind of tensioner.

Sheldon Brown (RIP) goes through this process. You should go to his site and look up "single speed conversion" before opening up a can of worms. It appears you're not sure of what to do.

As far as the crankset is concerned, just yank the big and small chainrings, leaving the middle, and you're gold. Understand that you will need to probably get SS chainring bolts, since the stock ones are too long once you yank the big ring.

I'd tackle this wheel situation first. Work big to small.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If I were you, I would just buy a rear wheel that accepts a casette instead of freewheel. Craig's list is your friend.
    Suspension and gears are the bastion of the proletariat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakBear View Post
    If I were you, I would just buy a rear wheel that accepts a casette instead of freewheel. Craig's list is your friend.
    Almost This... I bought a SS rear wheel(Surley hub, ACS freewheel and a WTB dual duty on Fleabay for $32.00) I would also get a chain tensioner.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Ok ill start humting a new wheel, or a hub and ill relace it myself and get a store to true it for me...in other news i bought an 08 trek ex7 and found a murray road bike in the garbage that im gonna cleanup and tuneup, ohhh and im debating ssing the ex7...i took it around the block and on some hills and never shifted....just gotta find that combo again
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

Members who have read this thread: 0