Going single speed with a Cannondale F700- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Going single speed with a Cannondale F700

I am frustrated. I am making myself ride just so I "don't waste a good day".

I need a change.

I have an '02 Cannondale F700. I love this bike. Fits like a glove. I made the leap this spring and went from XT to XTR and have had nothing but problems. Go for a tune up, a day later I am jumping gears and screaming 4 letter words. I tweak, tweak again and back to screaming.

I want simplicity, I want new with old. I want single speed.

Can anyone please show me some pics of Cdales being run as singles? (and not 1FG's)

Also, any insight that anyone wants to share with this bike and going single speed please do!

Thanks!
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

LA CHÈVRE
    Mine is an urban SS but still...

This is an old picture, the downtube logos now say CAN O' ALE and I now have a Rennen tensioner. Those wheels are now dead so in a few days, it will have Bontrager Race Lite Disc wheels that I had laying around, I got some BB5 brakes for real cheap and knobbies are going back too since I will probably ride the thing all winter long...

Edit: winter mode:

Last edited by Dan Gerous; 11-25-2007 at 05:12 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Here ya go. That's an eBay'ed frame (a CAAD5 F1000 if memory serves) and the shock from my busted Scalpel. My first SS had a fork that couldn't be locked out so a Headshok-equipped bike was on my mind from early on in my SS career. I liked the result so much that I had this beauty built around it. My only gripe with the Frankenbike was that the relatively low BB caused a few issues when I switched to 200 mm cranks. The only advice that I'd offer to someone converting one would be to run your tensioner in push-up mode if at all possible. For me on this bike that meant putting a half-link in the chain.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    am I going to have to run a tensioner or can I get away without one? I don't quite get the whole thing of needing one and not needing one. but I do understand why you don't need it for horizontal drop-outs.
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

mtbr member

Cannondale fixie

Quote Originally Posted by gibsygoldtop
    am I going to have to run a tensioner or can I get away without one? I don't quite get the whole thing of needing one and not needing one. but I do understand why you don't need it for horizontal drop-outs.
    I had a Cannondale road frame I had gotten repainted, carbon fork, etc. from a good friend.
    Put on an ENO hub and made it a fixie. If I can find the pictures I will put them on here, but it was a light bike to say the least, and looked so clean.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsygoldtop
    It depends of the gearing you put, you can be lucky and not need one but with vertical dropouts and a regular bb, chances are you'll need one. You can always find a gear combo that will not need one but it might not necessarily be a good gearing for you... You can use this magic gear chart to see if you can get away without a tensioner.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Im almost done converting my 01' F600 to SS. I copied Dan Gerous' SS using a Rennen tensioner, Rennen threaded adjustable cog spacers and an 18T KickAssCog. You could skip the Rennen adjustable spacers and just source some cheaper spacers at the hardware store. im looking forward to seeing how 32TX18T works on our local Florida trails....probably should have bought a 16T cog.

Members who have read this thread: 0