Going 1x9, will a chain guide help?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Going 1x9, will a chain guide help?

I'll be going 1x9 soon with a truvativ stylo 1.1 up front. I'll be taking the FD and shifter off. Is there anything else I need to be doing during the change?

Will a chain guide of some sort prevent any problems with the chain slipping off? Is that even really a problem with a properly adjusted drivetrain?

Lastly, is there a need to shorten the chain at all after removing the large chainring?

organically fed
    My chain dropped like a hot potato on the bumpy stuff when my bike was a 1x9.

Then I bought the N-Gear Jumpstop and a BBG ulralight bashguard and together they eliminated the problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The stylo already has a sort of bash guard but that jumpstop looks like a good idea.

What's the easiest way to figure out what seatpost diameter you have? I can't find what my bike is spec'd with. Which diameter would I have to measure to find out?

edit: Just found out I have a 27.2mm seatpost. Which size N-gear jumpstop would I be looking at?

organically fed
    My seatpost is also 27.2 and I got the 1 1/4" Jumpstop.

The bottom of my seatpost clamp is stamped 31.6, the outside diameter of the seat tube, which is essentially a gnat's ass from 1.25".

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll have to measure the seat tube OD when I get home. I'm thinking the 1 1/4" is probably what I'll be needing but I want to double check.

you do this at my size
    I used a Dog Fang to stop the drop.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I guess the question is which one is more durable and lighter?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My seat post is a 27.2 on my Rig, but it would take a 34.9 mm Front derailleur. You should check your front derailleur diameter or measure the seat tube where the jumpstop will clamp.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I use a XT FD minus the shifter and cable. I adjusted the high and low so it cant move. It is light and it works well.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

V-Shaped Rut
    How does a 1x9 qualify as a single speed????!!!!!

Just kidding.

I lost my chain like crazy when I did my tracer 1x9. I solved the problem temporarily by jamming a piece of metal in the front deraileur so it performed the same function as the jump stop. I have now ordered a jump stop, should be here today actually.

mtbr member
    this is an easy way to measure directly from n-gear. i used this method, and it worked fine.
    Sizing
    In most cases, the needed Jump Stop clamp size will be the same as the front derailleur clamp size. If there is no size stamped on the front derailleur, or there is no front derailleur, the easiest way to determine seat tube diameter is to cut a strip of paper 4 inches (100 mm) in length, and wrap it around the seat tube. If the ends overlap by more than a quarter inch (7mm), it's probably 1-1/8 (29mm). If the ends just barely meet, it's probably 1-1/4 (32mm). If the ends have a gap between them greater than a quarter inch (7mm), it's probably 1-3/8 (35mm).

Members who have read this thread: 1