Glove recommendation - for full rigid bikes on extremely long rides- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562

    Glove recommendation - for full rigid bikes on extremely long rides

    Can someone recommend some full fingered padded gloves?

    I am riding a full rigid bike in Arizona. My gloves are worn out and I prefer a pair with some good padding on the palms to help reduce hand and finger fatigue.

    • full fingered
    • padded palms
    • not blazing hot...AZ summer is approaching


    thanks!
    Last edited by urbanseeds; 04-15-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: because people are crying like little babies

  2. #2
    3.14159265358979323846
    Reputation: velocipus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,846
    I should probably ignore this, but I gotta know.
    Are you kidding?

  3. #3
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,212
    I think it is better to have grips with soft rubber, instead of padded gloves. The padding seem to get in the way of holding onto the bar, and might even make the glove warmer.

    Gloves: I always just walk into the shop, try a couple of pairs, and buy if I like the feel.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,004
    hey man, whatever floats your boat. I ride with REI gloves, standard padding. Road and trails.
    Sometimes, when I drive at night, I wear them for that race-car feel.

  5. #5
    Category Winner
    Reputation: teamdicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,045
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I think it is better to have grips with soft rubber, instead of padded gloves. The padding seem to get in the way of holding onto the bar, and might even make the glove warmer.

    Gloves: I always just walk into the shop, try a couple of pairs, and buy if I like the feel.
    Agreed. I've tried padded gloves in the past, and I always ended up riding with minimal to none.

    Ritchey WCS grips with Fox Inclines or Mechanix most of the time.
    If you gotta have the padding try these:
    https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEq...jsp?spid=33330
    They are nice and cool, but realize thin material = shorter than expected lifespan.

    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

    I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

  6. #6
    Bored
    Reputation: bigwheelboy_490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,982
    I'd recomend these gloves. They're stylish, and the silver works like radiant heating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

  7. #7
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,212
    I've been using the locking "Multi Function Grip" from Shimano's "Pro" accessories brand. Nice soft rubber, looks OK, does not cost a fortune, and the LBS always has them in stock. Might not last forever, though.

  8. #8
    Master of None
    Reputation: presslab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,462
    I've noticed that on my SS if I have too much padding or material on the gloves it causes chafing and calluses. Make sure your glove fits tight. I just use dirt biking gloves cause they were cheaper.

  9. #9
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,360
    this one will match your SS pants

    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  10. #10
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Agreed. I've tried padded gloves in the past, and I always ended up riding with minimal to none.

    Ritchey WCS grips with Fox Inclines or Mechanix most of the time.
    If you gotta have the padding try these:
    https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEq...jsp?spid=33330
    They are nice and cool, but realize thin material = shorter than expected lifespan.


    Thanks Team Dick, this is exactly what I was looking for. I currently use the Spec. XC. I appreciate your help.

  11. #11
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    this one will match your SS pants


    fishycrotch...they don't match my pants, but if they had rhinestones they would!

  12. #12
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    I should probably ignore this, but I gotta know.
    Are you kidding?
    Yes I'm kidding, I'm an Effing Clown and enjoy wasting your time.

  13. #13
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,360
    this one looks like the one i use for scrubbing my crotch

    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  14. #14
    Welcome to the Gem...
    Reputation: Mallanaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    811
    mechanix makes some really nice gloves.

    i have the fastfit, and they're really nice
    Ibis Tranny 29


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    820
    Know what I like best? For anything short of winter riding, I like the cotton crocheted, mesh backed, traditional roadie gloves, with leather padding on the palm. Rivendell has them, as does I believe Perfomance. All organic, no polyester funk. Cool, comfortable, grip well. Not full fingered, but hey, In AZ, think I'd really prefer they not be. Besides, that way, you can leave 'em on, while retaining fine finger dexterity, like when you're fixing a flat.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fancy Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    189
    I've spent a fair amount of time riding rigid in AZ myself. I could never ride a glove with a lot of padding. They always bunched up and I just found them to be very uncomfortable. I found fat squishy grips to be much better. How long a ride are you talking about?

    The combo that seemed to work for me was Oury grips with either Dakine Ventilator or Fox Ignitor gloves. Both are a light weight full finger gloves. I found either combo to be comfy up to 3-4 hours and tolerable to 5-6 (speaking in actual ride time), add a carbon bar to the mix and add 2 hours or so.

    I also found bar position was important on really long rides, even more so that grips or gloves. Just because the position is good for 2 hours doesn't mean it is for 8+. Just rotating the bars back and forth a degree can make a big difference. If your hands are bothering you play around with small changes until they don't. I always found making these adjustments well into a long ride was easier. When your hands hurt they really feel a small adjustment. Also, like the rest of you body, your hands need time to build up and get used to long rides.

    Those classic crochet gloves that Doggity mentioned are great, but off road in AZ means a lot of sharp brush at handlebar level... full fingers help a lot.

  17. #17
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Hat
    I've spent a fair amount of time riding rigid in AZ myself. I could never ride a glove with a lot of padding. They always bunched up and I just found them to be very uncomfortable. I found fat squishy grips to be much better. How long a ride are you talking about?

    The combo that seemed to work for me was Oury grips with either Dakine Ventilator or Fox Ignitor gloves. Both are a light weight full finger gloves. I found either combo to be comfy up to 3-4 hours and tolerable to 5-6 (speaking in actual ride time), add a carbon bar to the mix and add 2 hours or so.

    I also found bar position was important on really long rides, even more so that grips or gloves. Just because the position is good for 2 hours doesn't mean it is for 8+. Just rotating the bars back and forth a degree can make a big difference. If your hands are bothering you play around with small changes until they don't. I always found making these adjustments well into a long ride was easier. When your hands hurt they really feel a small adjustment. Also, like the rest of you body, your hands need time to build up and get used to long rides.

    Those classic crochet gloves that Doggity mentioned are great, but off road in AZ means a lot of sharp brush at handlebar level... full fingers help a lot.
    Thanks, well put. The other issue is I am riding full rigid. I am talking about 50-100 mile rides. I am getting hammered when the trail turns to miles of rock gardens. I realize a nice Fox shock would shut me up and end this thread. I'm using a carbon bar, carbon stem and carbon fork and that seems to be helping reducing fatigue. I think I have an extra pair of Oury grips in the garage, I'll try them. Currently I am using Specialized Enduros and I really like them, so switching is tough. My fingers start to fatigue at about 20+ miles on rough trail.

  18. #18
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    Can someone recommend some full fingered padded gloves?

    I am riding a full rigid bike in Arizona. My gloves are worn out and I prefer a pair with some good padding on the palms to help reduce hand and finger fatigue.

    • full fingered
    • padded palms
    • not blazing hot...AZ summer is approaching


    thanks!

    I use Specialized gloves, and ride rigid in Arizona for many hours. I used the Ridges, and they are very nice. Quiet cool for a full finger, and available in not black! I recently got a pair of Specialized Radiators to replace the old pair. They have a bit more fabric on the knuckles and fingers, which I was missing in the land of volcanic rock and cacti. Hotter, but not too bad.

    Rode 60 miles in Sedona with 'em Sunday, and all was well.

  19. #19
    3.14159265358979323846
    Reputation: velocipus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    Yes I'm kidding, I'm an Effing Clown and enjoy wasting your time.
    easy dude... ain't cryin'.
    Before you changed your title it looked like you were looking for SS specific gloves. Thought maybe you were havin' a littl efun with us slow thinking SSers.

    I've been a big fan of Oury lock-on grips and fox gloves with no padding. padding tends to wad up under your palm

    hope this helps clown.

  20. #20
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Hat
    ... to be comfy up to 3-4 hours and tolerable to 5-6 (speaking in actual ride time)...
    5-6 hours is not a long ride.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    5-6 hours is not a long ride.
    Sure would be, for me.

  22. #22
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,212
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    I'm using a carbon bar, carbon stem and carbon fork
    Fat tyres?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Treybiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    easy dude... ain't cryin'.
    Before you changed your title it looked like you were looking for SS specific gloves. Thought maybe you were havin' a littl efun with us slow thinking SSers.

    I've been a big fan of Oury lock-on grips and fox gloves with no padding. padding tends to wad up under your palm

    hope this helps clown.
    Same combo here.

  24. #24
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse

    Rode 60 miles in Sedona with 'em Sunday, and all was well.
    SBFL?....I am envious. I'll be in your hood this weekend and next!!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fiddlr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    299
    Search threads on Ergon grips. That's what I use with unpadded gloves. Not for everyone -- hand size seems to make a difference in how they feel, but for those of us who like them, they are great.

  26. #26
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    SBFL?....I am envious. I'll be in your hood this weekend and next!!

    Good luck in the Whiskey. 25 or 50?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    359

    Second the Ergons...

    I know this is not exactly what you asked, but I have to second some type of grip such as the Ergons. I have tried Perl Izumi's gel full finger versions, but the gel hardened on not too much time at all, then became irritating. The specialized tended to shift. I finally tried the Ergons, and will not go back. I have them with a very lighly padded set of 10 year old Rocket Power Parts gloves, or my newer set of Specialized full fingered gloves (no padding whatsoever). They did fine on last year's KTR, Laramie Enduro, and a few other long rides during the season. I have larger hands, yet still prefer the smaller size (sometimes referred to as women's). Best of luck...
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.