GF Rig vs Redline Moncog Flight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GF Rig vs Redline Moncog Flight

Hey guys and gals,

Looking at what people think of the differences between a Gary Fisher Rig and a Redline Monocog Flight (07'). The Flight would be the 26er. The local shop has these two bikes in stock and a friend is considering them. They are on the shorter side, 5'-4", and have test ridden both bikes and likes them both.

I'm kind of bias towards the 29er as I really love my Vulture, but I am also 6'-4" and the bike was built for me.

They have a couple Gary Fishers and love the geometry, but it looks like the Redline is similar.

Anywase, kind of curios on thoughts, experiences, etc... I looked through the threads on the SS and 29er boards and found some info already.

Thanks, Richard
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    I think that the type of trails the bike is going to spend the majority of its time on needs to be given top consideration. There's some undeniably cool qualities inherent in 29" wheels, but in my experience they come at a cost. I can't speak to the issues of someone smaller in stature since I'm 6-4 too, but I can definitely say that in tighter stuff where my Rig (with the stock Reba) needs to be told, often forcefully, where to go my 26" Vulture just knows where to go.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    get the flight 29er, it's better and cheaper than the rig. i own a rig and want a flight.
    the time is right for violent revolution

Recovering couch patato
    Yeah, the LBS will order the Flight29. Rig's a great bike if you like suspension though.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input so far.

Is the Flight not a good front suspension bike? My friend won't go rigid and I have a sussy fork for them to put on the Flight if that is the route they pick.

The bike's are both in stock and a good deal because of that, so it is between the Rig 29er or the Flight 26er, if they order a new bike than the cost will be more and right now it's not an option for my friend.

The Rig seems to be a pretty good spec, they are concerned about the size of the tires being so short. though your preaching to choir here

Richard
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Thanks for the input so far.

Is the Flight not a good front suspension bike? My friend won't go rigid and I have a sussy fork for them to put on the Flight if that is the route they pick.

The bike's are both in stock and a good deal because of that, so it is between the Rig 29er or the Flight 26er, if they order a new bike than the cost will be more and right now it's not an option for my friend.

The Rig seems to be a pretty good spec, they are concerned about the size of the tires being so short. though your preaching to choir here

Richard
    The Flight 29 is designed for more fork offset than current suspension forks offer. A sussy may make it "sluggish." Not an issue with the Flight 26.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins

they are concerned about the size of the tires being so short

Richard

Is there overlap? That'd be a deal-breaker for me in an off-road bike. Otherwise, I'm guessing that some tight figure-8's in the parking lot would be the best way to compare the relevant handling qualities of the two bikes given the limited scope of a test ride.

Or, they could just do what I'd do: dither until someone bought one of the bikes and made the decision for me.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A friend of mine has both so I went over and test rode them. From what I gathered, the Redline is much easier to throw around tight trails, kinda feels like a big BMX bike. The Rig did feel sweet on wider, faster trails though.

velofix
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    Is there overlap? That'd be a deal-breaker for me in an off-road bike. Otherwise, I'm guessing that some tight figure-8's in the parking lot would be the best way to compare the relevant handling qualities of the two bikes given the limited scope of a test ride.

Or, they could just do what I'd do: dither until someone bought one of the bikes and made the decision for me.......
    Overlap doesn't seem to be an issue with the MC Flight 29er. I've got the 15" frame, with eggbeaters, size 44 shoe. And even with winter booties on there's plenty of space.

Members who have read this thread: 0