mtbr member
    Aug 2004

GF Rig drive side dropout wear

I have a GF Rig and have noticed that the rear wheel is no longer straight when I lock it in with the QR. After furthur insepection I found that the drive side drop out is worn enough to allow the axle to move forward slightly. Has anybody else had this problem on this bike or any other? Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks

Bored
    Can you replace the bolt on hanger?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had this problem on my X-Cal. I bought a new bike. I think I was looking for an excuse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The dropout is not replacable on the Rig.

mtbr member
    take it to your LBS and have them check your frame alignment, it should take like 10min. My shop has had one bad frame like that. Otherwise check the ends on the QR and make sure there not full of paint and make sure you re grease the QR axle. look at the drop out,where the hub sits up in the frame, is all the paint gone? Now check the other side, my frame did this and I just cleaned the paint out from the other side and it was ok.
    Last,does it always feel like your disc rubs no matter what you do? Then I'll bet you frame is out of wack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mine was the one bad frame mentioned above

At least they warrantied the frame. I think they use cast dropouts that are too soft to hold up to the rigors of a singlespeed application. The axle on the stock wheels is steel and threaded, and I think a wheel with aluminum ends on the axle wouldn't cause that problem.

At any rate, take it to your shop. If the guys at Gary Fisher/ Trek try to say you had the chain too tight, be sure to argue the point.
    Profound esoteric sentence encapsulating my philosophy and world view here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

JB Liquid Weld

If you don't get any solution at the shop you can use JB Liquid Weld to fix it. Clean the dropout very well and put a little JB in the front part of the dropout that is worn. Let it cure for the recommended 24 hours and then go in with a round file and take out just enough of the JB to get the axle straight again. JB is pretty tough stuff and this fix should last quite a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I was going to try the JB weld stuff but have decided to order a bolt on axle and replace the QR axle. I will still use the JB weld to build up what is worn.
    Thanks again,
    Jim S

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I installed the new bolt-on axle yesterday and put it to the test today. I would recommend that anybody who has a GF Rig consider this fairly inexpensive upgrade. My rear wheel is perfectly centered and the rear is noticably stiffer. The cost for the new axle was around $20.00 and that included all seals, bearing, and axle. It did not include the outboard axle nuts.

Members who have read this thread: 0