Gett'n dirty!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gett'n dirty!

Low Rep Count

Gett'n dirty!

So I'm having a new set of wheels built up and ordered an HBC 18t cog for them. Since no one really knows when their HBC stuff will show up I went ahead and ordered/received in less than 5 days a Surly 17t cog. Knowing that the gearing would be a little more challenging I decided to go ahead and swap out my current 18t freewheel for a 16T shitmano one I had in my tool box. I figured I would try to get a few rides in on it and then go to th 17 when the new wheels are done later this week. My thinking is that this would make the 17 feel easier if you will. Ok besides all of that I ordered the 17 so that I would have some gearing options down the road. At this point i am thinking that I will probably get a 16 and a 19 as well (down the road).

I couldn't get the stupid fw off with normal tools (yes I have the correct tools) so I ran over to the shop to use their vice. 3 different people (counting myself) later, we got the damn thing off! I ran out of the shop and as soon as I turned the car on it started sprinkling! I got home and took my time putting the bike together and the rain/sprinkles had stopped maybe 20 minutes earlier. I decided I would take my chances since it looked like things had blown over. I was at about mile 2 when it opened up on me.

Needless to say, without a second set of wheels, I was rolling on my Maxxis Ikon and Bounty 29.3 tires that are really designed for dry/packed surfaces. But things got wet quick and was wet enough that the mud didn't stick to the tires at all! It was awesome! Aside from some slick roots I really had no traction problems what so ever!

I thought for sure that riding the 16t would be a challenge, especially when you add in the poor conditions. But to my surprise I still held a 10 mph average speed for my 10 mile ride! Yes, I felt it a little bit on the climbs and had to stand a little more than I normally would on some of the climbs but other than that, I felt great! The temperature was perfect and I stayed cool from the rain and trail spray. In the end, it really was an awesome ride! I had a blast, my legs felt great, and I had traction!

So, here's a couple quick shots of the bike. I was hoping to have the wife get a couple pictures of me but no one was home when I got there so I tried to take a couple picks of myself. Unfortunately, I could not get one of my back which was heavily coated in mud/spray but I'm sure you guys get the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gett'n dirty!-rsz_1wet_jabber.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Cool! I haven't been on here in awhile but looks like a totally different ride than what you had last time I checked in (Motobecane ? w/some way nice components).

So what wheelset are you having built?

Also, nice yard!

Low Rep Count
    New wheels:
    Hope Evo Pro 2 (SS rear) in red
    Crest (black)
    Sapim spokes (Black)
    nipps also in black
    HBC 18t cog in red (already have a Surly 17 on hand)

Should work out to be considerably lighter than what is pictured above.

As far as the rest of the bike goes, I picked up the Vassago frame back in Dec I believe. I just got the new brakes a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, its pretty much all the stuff off the Moto.

Holy Land Rider.
    May 2008
    nice pics.
    riding in the mud is fun isn't it ?
    i love it - make me feel like a child again, especially when i come back home dirty and get yelled at. LOL
    by the way, how do you like the rear tire on the mud? it's bonti 29-3 isn't it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    I couldn't get the stupid fw off with normal tools (yes I have the correct tools) so I ran over to the shop to use their vice. 3 different people (counting myself) later, we got the damn thing off!
    Little off topic, but did the LBS charge you to remove the FW? I ask because my local LBS tried charged me $10 to remove the lockring on my M951 cranks. I had broken my vice trying to get it off and asked if I could borrow theirs real quick (brought my tool and crankarm). The owner said I couldn't go behind the counter and offered to do it, then turned around and tried charged me. Pissed me off and ended up in a yelling match where he just tightened it back up and I stormed out...

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirby10 View Post
    Little off topic, but did the LBS charge you to remove the FW? I ask because my local LBS tried charged me $10 to remove the lockring on my M951 cranks. I had broken my vice trying to get it off and asked if I could borrow theirs real quick (brought my tool and crankarm). The owner said I couldn't go behind the counter and offered to do it, then turned around and tried charged me. Pissed me off and ended up in a yelling match where he just tightened it back up and I stormed out...
    I usually plan to pay around $10 for it. Usually free if I'm holding a handful of Gu packs or something. I'm surprised you that mad over the guy doing a service on your bike for you...

edit,

Back on topic - same thing with the rain happened to me not long ago. Started to rain the minute I pulled up to the trail head but also managed a decent ride in the end with a little perseverance.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by talknopf View Post
    nice pics.
    riding in the mud is fun isn't it ?
    i love it - make me feel like a child again, especially when i come back home dirty and get yelled at. LOL
    by the way, how do you like the rear tire on the mud? it's bonti 29-3 isn't it?
    I actually like the tire but it is only a 2.1 and is a little narrow on my current rims. I will tell you that aside from riding in the wet like yesterday, it sucks in the mud. It clogs up really quick and just doesn't shed well.

edit: Yes it is the 29.3. I just happened to go into a new shop when up at the inlaws and they had it on the shelf marked down to $29! Bought it on the spot! New wheels will have Maxxis Ikon 2.2's front and rear.
    Last edited by 1SPD; 05-09-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirby10 View Post
    Well that sucks! My LBS didn't charge me. Then again, they are the ones that installed it a year ago. I have also known the owner since like 93 or so. He is also in the process of building my new wheels and was actually pulling out the spokes for it when I walked in. I went ahead and gave him a bunch of money as a deposit so nothing was said about the freewheel that took 3 of us to get off!

None the less, I can understand the guy charging you but I would have hoped that he would have told you that they would have to do it and that there would be a charge. Not hitting you up afterwards.

Kicker of Elves
    That's true, acting like it was just helping you out then charging for it is pretty lame.

Members who have read this thread: 0