Getting warmed up????- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Getting warmed up????

Ok, so we have touched on this a little bit in some of the winter riding threads. My question is what sort of warm up are you guys doing prior to actually riding. Here is my example of no warm up if you will and it seems to be a pattern I have been stuck in but need to change.

I get on the bike, start riding down the street towards the trails. I hit the trails at about 1.2 miles and then I am riding the trails. I have noticed that the first 3-4 miles just feel like death. I mean the air is cold, my legs feel like lead, I am breathing hard and then my lower back starts getting sore. Then at the 5 mile mark, I start feeling better, the back pain goes away, I am not longer cold (though my toes start getting cold at this point).

I am just curious how you guys are handing some sort of warm up prior to a group ride. I mean everyone meets up in a parking lot or what ever and then hits the trails. As we all know, there never seems to be much of a warm up in a group ride.

I don't have a trainer to bring with me to hook up in the parking lot so the only thing I can think of is to try to get their early and start riding a little bit ahead of everyone to get everything loosened up. At home, I guess I could hop in my spin bike for a good 10-15 mintues, then finish getting dressed and head out on my ride which is something I will probably give a shot tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

surly inbred
    No offense, dood... but you seem to lead a pretty complicated ss existence.

Low Rep Count
    Well, I know it should all be pretty simple. Get on the bike and ride. But I seem to be struggling with the first few miles of my ride and believe that perhaps I am not warming up well enough.

Just like you see the road racers out on their trainers prior to the race, I am wondering if any of you guys do this sort of thing before you go out on a group ride or if you just jump on it and go.

In the summer I did not have much of a problem with this. At least I don't recall. But now that the weather has gotten colder, it seems like it is harder for me to get started if you will.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Do some yoga, then some jumping jacks and then look outside. Then remember the Blazers are probably playing. Speculatively turn on the TV, but it is Nets v. Timberwolves. So you do some push ups, look outside and move into some burpies. Work over to the fridge, because some basketball is better than none at all and snag a beer. Stop lookingoutside.

Low Rep Count
    I'm not much of a basketball fan. I used to be but have gotten out of it and hardly know who anyone is anymore.

I like the idea though! But that is the habbit I am trying to get out of. Gotta get back out on the bike while I can. I really don't want to be suffering when the weather breaks this year. I hate going through that phase.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Pull trainer out of car, ride bike on stationary for 1/2 hour, then group ride...lol. j/k

Uusally when I go out on a group ride, I just jump on it and go. I prefer to do a mile or two of easy riding for warm up, get there a little early and walk around, ride around the parking area.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

SSOD
    Harsh guys, don't you guys know 1SPD is like in his sixties and once you get that old your bones and muscles ache a lot and it requires an appropriate amount of warming them up before riding.

But in all fairness, I'm in my twenties and it usually takes me several miles to get loosened up before I hit my stride.

openwound
    I like Umarth's suggestion. Do some simple calisthenics before you get on the bike. Maybe ride in the opposite direction for a little ways, then turn around. Whatever it takes to get warm before the first hard effort.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    At group rides, I do pushups (ideally out of sight) and pedal around the parking lot riding my brakes. By myself, I just head for a big hill right away.

Low Rep Count
    Ok, I may be older than some but I am only 39! Close to 40 but not 60.

I am a personal trainer part time so I know a lot of exercises was just curious what others were doing. I will more than likely do some jumping jacks, plyometrics, pushups, quick looks around on the bike once I figure out where I am at. I should be fine. Apparently two of the other guys haven't been out on their bikes for a few weeks and said that we would not be riding too fast anyway. So I am good to go.

On a side note, I swapped out my cog back to the 16t since I had some time to kill when I got home.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I stretch and ride a little slower at first if it's cold. This is largely to avoid an asthma attack since cold is a trigger for me. But, it makes a big difference as does stretching. For me, I warm up pretty quick before I can hammer.

And then, there are days where I just don't go as fast because it's an off day. Regardless of the day it's way better when I'm on the bike.

Out spokin'
    Relax and do whatever your body wants to do. It's the off-season. Try to ride 2-3 times a week to keep your base or build one if you're coming off a slack year. If you have competitive ambitions in '11 then start hitting it harder Feb. 1st. Go for 12 in-the-saddle hrs/wk through Feb. then pick it up to about 20 hrs/wk by end of May. This will cure your warm up blues within one year.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ... It's the off-season...
    --sParty
    Bah. Screw dat. Giv'r.

Did you see what happened last night in the Canada-US WJHC game?

The Americans came out of the gate in "warm up" mode. The Canadians came off the bus "red lined". Canada won.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    Bah. Screw dat. Giv'r.

Did you see what happened last night in the Canada-US WJHC game?

The Americans came out of the gate in "warm up" mode. The Canadians came off the bus "red lined". Canada won.
    In season, Sport.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire
    I stretch and ride a little slower at first if it's cold. This is largely to avoid an asthma attack since cold is a trigger for me. But, it makes a big difference as does stretching. For me, I warm up pretty quick before I can hammer.

And then, there are days where I just don't go as fast because it's an off day. Regardless of the day it's way better when I'm on the bike.

Yeah I have the same issue with the asthma, I've found if I take my inhaler a good 30 before I ride and start easy I can keep it under control. Also it seems the more water I drink the better I can control my breathing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I am a personal trainer part time so I know a lot of exercises
    You should have the "warm-up" covered then

I usually just do some easy stretching, I usually get warmed up pretty quick....I've heard other guys in my group complain about this though, I tell em they just need to ride more!

Low Rep Count
    I hear you. Over the summer this did not bother me as much but the colder seems to be hitting home this year. Maybe it is just age. Either way, I will make sure I do some cardio to get warmed up and then do some quick stretching and a little riding if I can get there early enough.

mtbr member
    My 50+ yo knees do much better when I put a little Icy Hot or other such rub on them and wrap them in neoprene knee braces before I leave the house. I take them off at the trail head, stretch a little and take it easy for the first 10 minutes or so. I then put the wraps back on as soon as I get back to the car for the ride home.

I find that they ache much less that night that the next day if I follow this regimen.

HTFU!
    I am about your age (41) and I like to start out slow, then do some quicker spin rotations, then slow down and stand up and pedal; after all that, (which is done in the first couple minutes) I feel ready to go...still, for a fast paced ride, I will get some muscle burn until I settle into the pace, but for an endurace ride I don't even worry about a warm up when I am going to be on the bike for 3-5 hours.
    Different things work for different people. I sometimes ride with a guy that starts out easy, then after the first good climb he stops for about 2 minutes to stretch. After that, he is good to go.
    You will find what works for you, or you realistically may find, after trying different methods, nothing you do makes it any better so you will just show up, ride, and have one less thing to worry about.
    Good Luck.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub
    Yeah I have the same issue with the asthma, I've found if I take my inhaler a good 30 before I ride and start easy I can keep it under control. Also it seems the more water I drink the better I can control my breathing.
    2 to 3 puffs on the inhaler as I hit the trail head parking lot and I'm good to go.

In the winter, the cold and extra clothes mean your pace will be different. Don't sweat it. Just be glad you can ride and enjoy it. Some folks are snowed in. Lap records aren't going to happen this time of year. Here we are dealing with mud. I rode 18 miles yesterday in some pretty sloppy stuff. Parts were treacherous. I enjoyed it as much or more than most rides and it was a lot slower than when it's dry and fast.

Just go with it and try to relax. You'll probably go faster in the process.

mtbr member
    I'm 46 and ride SS only and have a long history of various past injuries, blah, blah, etc..

Before I leave the house I do 5 minutes or so on the foam roller, then another 5-7 minutes of prehab mobility (ankle mobility, hip mobility, shoulder, low back structural work). You know the drill since you're a trainer.

Then when I start riding, I start at a moderate / low pace and gradually ramp up. If I'm riding with hammerheads, I just let them go and I go at my own pace...I usually reel them in on the climbs. ; )

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Cold air makes the warm-up for any activity more important. I spent time working up around GlenAllen AK and other places in the interior like McCarthy. We worked outside in -45 degree temps at times and I can tell you it hurts to breathe at all in that environment. When you go from breathing warm air in your vehicle or house and immediately start to inhale lots of cold air it can be pretty harsh to your system. Cold air has a much higher density of oxygen molecules than warm air. Ever run a 2-stroke dirt bike in the winter without a proper warm-up and without re-jetting? The old engine will lock right up from running lean if you aren't careful. Our bodies learn to adjust and compensate based on the familiarity of our envrionment, but I knew a guy in Iowa that ran every morning religiously and one morning he headed-out in sub-zero temps and not far into the run he died of a heart attack. He was in his 30's and a pretty fit guy. The doctors told his wife that he had exerted himself too much too quickly in the cold weather which contributed to his heart attack. Who knows, but I can tell you that I try and never push hard in really cold weather until I know I am warmed up right. Just my .02 and I am a 52 year old guy that sure feels the cold, but can handle it as much as you younger whippersnappers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I get on the bike, start riding down the street towards the trails. I hit the trails at about 1.2 miles and then I am riding the trails. I have noticed that the first 3-4 miles just feel like death. I mean the air is cold, my legs feel like lead, I am breathing hard and then my lower back starts getting sore. Then at the 5 mile mark, I start feeling better, the back pain goes away, I am not longer cold (though my toes start getting cold at this point).
    Any thoughts?
    Sounds pretty much like me - as soon as I leave the house it's all climbing, even if I take the route that starts with a mile of asphalt. Then the real climbing starts, which varies between 10% - 25% and some of it pretty technical, especially when it's wet and greasy.
    I find it best if I make a concious effort not to push too hard for the first two or three miles, just enjoy the scenery and let my body sort of "get into it" without worrying about pace or speed.
    Then usually, without really being aware of it, I'm feeling about 300% more comfortable and set up for the rest of the ride, which for me is usually anything between 2 and 5 hours.
    When I was younger and racing, and doing these same loops as training rides, I'd push a lot harder from the word go, but now as long as I can make the climbs, get through the technical sections "feet up" and enjoy being in the forests and hills that does it for me.

Low Rep Count
    Well, we got a dusting of snow this morning around 4AM. Some of it melted off when the sun came out for a little bit but it has pretty much been cloudy since lunch time. I am sure there will be some snow out there on the trails but not enough for me to be concerned about swapping out my tires or anything. It is about 35 out there right now so I suspect that by 8 PM it will be closer to 30 or less so I will need to make sure I do a little bit to get myself warmed up. Hopefully, the other guys are thinking the same thing and don't try to drop the hammer right off the bat. I don't know any of them and have not ridden with them before or on these trails. So if you guys don't here from me in a couple of days, call the police and have them come looking for me! (Little Bennet/Black Hills trails) Seriously, it should be a good time. Pretty excited actually!

WNC Native
    Pop in one of the DVD's by the Collective and hop on the spin bike, stay nice and toasty the whole time.

Or just plan some easy stuff for the first part of the ride and take it easy until your warm.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

T.W.O
    Take the bike off the rack and go.

At Work
    I start out at a moderate-easy pace, hit the first short difficult section, pop out and then make a loop to get my breath, then head back into the next section. this helps to get loosened up, at this point i am at about 1.5 miles in. it takes me a few miles to loosen up
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Members who have read this thread: 0