Getting my wife a Surly 1x1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Getting my wife a Surly 1x1

SO I came across a screaming deal on a Surly 1x1 frame and fork that I am pick up today. I know I will need new bars, a new headset, a new seat post, and a new saddle for the bike. Aside from that, I think I can piece it together with extras that a friends and I have laying around.

Anyone have any deals they know of on these items? Or, recommendations?

Also, I am thinking about what gear ratio to put her at.

I am thinking a 32:17, or maybe a 32:18. I ride 32:17 on a 29er, so I am thinking on the 26er that maybe 32:17 would be OK for her. I just don't want it to be too heavy that she doesn't like to ride it and gives up on it before I can swap the cog out...

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I set my lady friend up with a 1x1 and used 33-16. She never really has any complaints and she is definitely not an avid rider by any means.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I suppose 33:16 on a 26er is about the same end ratio as the 32:17 on my 29er...

She says that one is too stout for the riding we do. Hmmm... will run the numbers. What kind of riding is this for?

We ride several places. Some very flat and non-techy so a high ratio like that could be good. Others are hilly and techie, so I don't know.

Two Surly 1x1s?

Apr 2007
    Got my wife an On One Inbred earlier this year and initially had it at 32:16. Too much for her (hilly around here), so I changed it out to 20 in the back and she's happy. When we ride flat trails, I'll probably switch it out to an 18".

But judging from your gearing on your 29er, it mist be fairly flat where you're at, so 32:16-18 would probably be good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut

But judging from your gearing on your 29er, it mist be fairly flat where you're at, so 32:16-18 would probably be good.
    No way dude, I just got mad legs.

And I live in Florida.

Low Rep Count
    32:18 will probably be fine. I'm riding that and we have some hills around here. I should probably start looking at either a 33t front or a new 16t freewheel for the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    We split our riding between two trails. One is disgustingly flat, but fast and flowy single track.

The other actually does have hills and climbs. I think we'll start at 32:18 and go from there.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well, picked up the 1x1... turns out we're gonna start with a 32:17 since it will be free. HAHA

Great deal on the new frame and fork for $250. I can't get over how nice the welds are on this thing. Maaaannnnn.... it's so sexy. I can see me selling my Origin8 Scout 29er for a Surly Karate Monkey... (Not gonna happen in the near future (as in the next couple years).

Apr 2007
    That's a good price. Surly does make good products (currently have a fixed road bike of theirs). Now get rid of that hideous saddle!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    mmmmm....puke orange. surly's next frame color better be purple
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The orange is my favorite part! HAHA

The seat will go. This is just what'll be on there until we replace it. Like I said, it's gonna be a frankenbike for a while...

Members who have read this thread: 0