Getting my feet wet!- Mtbr.com
    Always in the wrong gear

Getting my feet wet!

After threatening for almost a year to pull the trigger and add (something) to the stable to compliment a 5" FS bike, and a road bike, I snagged this last night.
    Getting my feet wet!-scandal-pic.jpg
    A gently used 2011 On-One Scandal with a 100mm Reba and some Flow/Paul wheels.

I'm super psyched to get the cockpit sorted and hit some trails!

Downcountry AF
    nice! welcome to the club.

i wonder how long it will take before your curious about a rigid fork.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Your squish is gonna get sad. And I second rigid.

Always in the wrong gear
    My squish was already sad. I'm really burnt out on "shreddin' the Gnar" so I've been riding road mostly all the time. Now I can hit the trails again and see all the dirt in a new light!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice bike!

Stop clamping it in the stand like that, or I take it away.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Nice bike!

Stop clamping it in the stand like that, or I take it away.
    Interesting. Why? Seems like the perfect place, there's no cables there to smash, and it's not hanging by the seatpost.

That stand is a low-end model with mediocre clamping force, eventually a post-clamped bike creeps down an rests on the post head, leaving the cranks about 6" off the ground.

Downcountry AF
    aluminum frame right? your clamping the tube at the thinnest point. it was not designed to handle the stress of repeatedly being clamped there. your also scratching your paint.

clamp it on the seatpost, it's a much stronger tube. if it's slipping clean both surfaces, or put a rag in the clamp first, or increase clamp pressure. generally speaking it's not a good idea to clamp the frame. especially aluminum or carbon.

edit: do i need to throw an IMO in there?
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 03-17-2016 at 07:22 AM. Reason: IMO
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Nope!

But opie needs to throw a 6-pack of brew in the mail for me.

mtbr member
    aluminum frame right? your clamping the tube at the thinnest point. it was not designed to handle the stress of repeatedly being clamped there. your also scratching your paint.

clamp it on the seatpost, it's a much stronger tube. if it's slipping clean both surfaces, or put a rag in the clamp first, or increase clamp pressure. generally speaking it's not a good idea to clamp the frame. especially aluminum or carbon.

So that's how your seat tube cracked

I agree with the above, use the seat post with a rag in the clamp if you are worried about scratches.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    So that's how your seat tube cracked
    ugh, my replacement frame showed up with a bent dropout and the hanger was broken off. (shakes head) whatever, i give up.

i made $150 selling the fork. moving on...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Always in the wrong gear
    Thanks for the tips, I guess I'll be doing it differently in the future. Not defending the practice, but it wasn't really 'clamped' more resting on the lower jaw, with the top one just snug enough to stabilize it... I honestly think it was about as much 'pinch' as if I were picking it up by the top tube. I'll still start using the seat post.

As for scratches.... thats the beauty of raw aluminum. On-One actually calls the color 'Super Raw'. its basically welded, and then clear coated. Scratches are not an issue.

I took it out for the Maiden voyage today after flipping and slamming the stem so the bars were finally *slightly* lower than the saddle.

O.M.G. I'm in love. 18 miles, of shit-eating grin. Only like 950ft of elevation gain, most of it in a single 450ft climb, but I did that on purpose for my first SS ride to know how quick my legs would blow-up.

If this keeps up, my old Prophet is gonna be a CL ad in the near future.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Welcome to the club.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Enjoy the new SS!

Is this better or worse way to clamp the frame? I'll switch to the seat post if that is better for the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting my feet wet!-img_0449.jpg  

Downcountry AF
    IMO there is no good way to clamp the frame. plain and simple. especially aluminum and carbon.

clamp the seatpost. it's stronger, cheaper, and more resistant to wear. no part of your frame was designed to take the stress of being clamped repeatedly.

if necessary replace the stand with a better model. it too is cheaper and easier to replace than your frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

MaxTheCyclist.com
    IMO there is no good way to clamp the frame. plain and simple. especially aluminum and carbon.

clamp the seatpost. it's stronger, cheaper, and more resistant to wear. no part of your frame was designed to take the stress of being clamped repeatedly.

if necessary replace the stand with a better model. it too is cheaper and easier to replace than your frame.
    IMO, if clamping is a big deal you either have your clamps too tight or your frames are pretty weak.

Has anyone actually done any damage to a frame by clamping in a bike stand?
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

EXORCIZE
    That's a nice find. Looks like it has everything you need, plus a nice stiff front end.

It's got some scandium mixed in with the aluminum, right? Another of On-One's name puns?

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    IMO, if clamping is a big deal you either have your clamps too tight or your frames are pretty weak.

Has anyone actually done any damage to a frame by clamping in a bike stand?
    the key point here is that it was not designed to be clamped.

it may not cause immediate visible damage, but the next time you land hard you could wake up in the hospital only to find out your frame is in two pieces.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/c...on-636733.html

we are getting off topic and that's all i'm going to say about it. if you have any more questions i suggest you do your own research
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's funny people are even questioning clamping a bike frame. JUST DON'T DO IT!!

I clamp my parts pretty hard in the stand, as I don't want the bike moving around when I work on it. A seatpost is an easily replaceable item, whereas a frame not so much.

Actually go ahead and clamp your frame in the stand, I don't really care. Just don't post pics of it and make yourself look stupid.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    That's a nice find. Looks like it has everything you need, plus a nice stiff front end.

It's got some scandium mixed in with the aluminum, right? Another of On-One's name puns?
    It is Sandium and Aluminum, and it seems to be a lot nicer than the last 'double material' frame I had- a 96 Spec SJ M2, alloy and ceramic. That thing ride like a steamroller.
    I'm super pleased with it so far. Still sorting out the stem/bars, tweaking parts selection from my bin/other bikes to get them low enough that I don't feel like I'm on a BMX bike. Also chain tugs are new to me, and I'm struggling a little with them.

all the same, maybe is just 'new bike syndrome' and anything would make me happy, but it's definitely re-lit my fire to ride as much as I can.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    After threatening for almost a year to pull the trigger and add (something) to the stable to compliment a 5" FS bike, and a road bike, I snagged this last night.
    A gently used 2011 On-One Scandal with a 100mm Reba and some Flow/Paul wheels.

I'm super psyched to get the cockpit sorted and hit some trails!
    Congratulations, ride, repeat, enjoy as needed!

nice! welcome to the club.

i wonder how long it will take before your curious about a rigid fork.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    ..I'm super pleased with it so far. Still sorting out the stem/bars, tweaking parts selection from my bin/other bikes to get them low enough that I don't feel like I'm on a BMX bike. Also chain tugs are new to me, and I'm struggling a little with them.

all the same, maybe is just 'new bike syndrome' and anything would make me happy, but it's definitely re-lit my fire to ride as much as I can.
    Amazing what SS and rigid can do for your ride point of view...it's so zen and makes me want to ride...sometimes fast and sometimes just watching the scenery go by.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Always in the wrong gear
    Maybe (a BIG MAYBE) can see a rigid fork in the distant future, but probably not for a while. I can see the appeal in terms of weight and climbing ability. The Reba Lockout makes a noticeable difference. I still want some front suspension though.
    Since this bike has a giant head tube, a Lefty would be really easy to fit. Maybe next year. Drop some weight, small increase in stiffness, and still have a lockout. I feel like this bike is a long-term keeper.

According to my Garmin (and Strava) i've logged 130 miles on the SS since my first ride on March 17th. So, yeah. It's definitely gotten me out on the trails.

All I've really done to it was tires- Vittoria Barzo, and a new chainring- AbsoluteBLACK 32T oval. I used bars and a stem I already owned and knew I liked. Everything else is pretty dialed in.

Now I'm just trying to wear out those new tires and chainring.