Getting an inexpensive single speed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Listen! Getting an inexpensive single speed?

First off I am a high-school student looking to get into mountain biking. I am active and I do a lot of running, hiking, sports, etc. I have looked around and I think I would enjoy a Single Speed bike.

The question I have is; is it possible to inexpensively get a bike and convert to a single speed? Or is it cheaper to buy a SS bike in the first place? The only bike I have now is a roadie, so I do not have a mountain bike readily accessible to convert. I have looked around on this site, and enjoyed the search function.

I am on a small budget due to still being a student... Should I buy a geared bike and convert it? If so, what kind of bike? Ex: Specialized, Giant, Trek..or do I just need something with a functional frame? I would like to spend $500 or less if possible.

I don't really want to buy a brand new bike and then rip stuff of it to make it a single speed, but Craigslist in my area seems to be pretty limited when it comes to mountain bikes... If ya'll could give me some advice, I would definitely appreciate it.

Take care,
    Andrew Coleman

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    There are quite a few singlespeed bikes out there in the $500 range. I think the Redline Monocog is somewhere about that price, and gets raving reviews from anyone who has one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you are not in a big hurry, you could scavenge parts from eBay and other sites (ex: Truvativ crankset, bars / stem / tires etc from eBay, wheels from Bikeisland.com, etc). Nashbar carries frames that you can build as a single speed. There are other places like Pricepoint that also carry frames. If you start off with a rigid fork, you should pretty easily be able to assemble a singlespeed bike in your price range.

Todd

Ovaries on the Outside
    Hey dude, we have a similar mtbing start. I started off with a GT Taquesta (spelling could suck) and the derailer and shifters quickly died and I converted to SS. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably buy the Rockhopper I have now (89) for around a hundred, upgrade as needed and get a summer under your belt.

Monocogs are fantastic and you can land one for 300 off ebay. Be patient.

Where are you located?

mtbr member
    Check your PM's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks guys, Ebay is the one place I haven't checked on much. I will start looking there.

@ Umarth: I am located 45minutes north of Richmond, VA and 30mins south of Fredericksburg, VA.

@ Flat ark: PM sent.

Apr 2007
    Check the classifieds here, too. I know there are a few cheap SS on there right now.

mtbr member
    check the Nashbar thread going on right now

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by andr3wc
    Thanks guys, Ebay is the one place I haven't checked on much. I will start looking there.

@ Umarth: I am located 45minutes north of Richmond, VA and 30mins south of Fredericksburg, VA.

@ Flat ark: PM sent.
    Given your area, ebay will probably end up working best....

Members who have read this thread: 0