German SS partS Sources- Mtbr.com
    -arschloch-
    Apr 2004

German SS partS Sources

OK theres gotta be a couple of german SSers on here. where do you get your parts LOCALLY?

Specifically I am looking for options for rear cogs for SS-ing a normal rear cassette. (Yes, i know that normal cassette-cogs can be used too, but all of my cogs are shitmano with that damned spider-design so i cant separate the cogs. )
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

used to be uno-speedo....
    You could try www.starbike.com (btw I'm not German)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    OK theres gotta be a couple of german SSers on here. where do you get your parts LOCALLY?

Specifically I am looking for options for rear cogs for SS-ing a normal rear cassette. (Yes, i know that normal cassette-cogs can be used too, but all of my cogs are shitmano with that damned spider-design so i cant separate the cogs. )
    If you cut off all the cogs on a XT spider-cassette you have a nice spacer! You will be a happier man if you buy a KingKog instead of using a shimano thing. I have tried both.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

i agree, but...

i am reluctant to order one from the US. customs here has been nothing but a nightmare for me. i mail ordered from the US once and i wound up paying nearly 100% of the retail price in import taxes!!!! (it was clothing, not bike stuff).

jakerollo: you in germany? have you tried ordering from US mailorder?

as far as chopping up the cassette, i could chock it up in the lathe and do a reasonably neat job of removing the unwanted cogs and cleaning up the unneccessary parts of the spider.

thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by jakerollo
    If you cut off all the cogs on a XT spider-cassette you have a nice spacer! You will be a happier man if you buy a KingKog instead of using a shimano thing. I have tried both.

mtbr member
    jakerollo: you in germany? have you tried ordering from US mailorder?

as far as chopping up the cassette, i could chock it up in the lathe and do a reasonably neat job of removing the unwanted cogs and cleaning up the unneccessary parts of the spider.

thanks fellas.
    I live in Denmark. I have ordered a 17 tooth KingKog from http://www.webcyclery.com. After taxes the price ended on 30 euro if I remember right.

Take a look at my conversion here: singlespeed conversion. I used a ...(I don't know the english or german word for this tool but it is handheld and has a round disk that cuts through metals or whatever you want to cut in). Using a lathe would be overkill - if you have access to a lathe you could just as well make some spacers from anything you have laying around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Try This

I'm not German aber Ich kann Deutsch sprechen. Try these guys http://www.singlespeedshop.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

If you don't mind paying postage from Holland

You could try bike2build
    http://www.bike2build.nl/toonartikel...57b82a596e1665

I've used these spacers to pad out my cassette body. In total I needed 8 for my DX66 cog and one cassette spacer to give just enough overlap to tighten it all up.

I got the cog from B2B aswell
    http://www.bike2build.nl/subgroep.ph...dgroepid=00103

Perhaps not the cheapest way but it works fine and looks nice and shiny!

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ...

hey bob,

i forgot all about bike 2 build, i even have em in my favorites folder.....duh! where in NL are you? i have friends in delft and used to spend a lot of time racing cross right over the border from germany....

jakerollo: i think the tool you used is a dremel. making spacers with the lathe is no problem, in fact i've already got a set done. However, i'd rather have a cog with a bigger foot print so it doesnt tear the chit out of my free-hub body.

thanks all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by English Bob
    You could try bike2build
    http://www.bike2build.nl/toonartikel...57b82a596e1665

I've used these spacers to pad out my cassette body. In total I needed 8 for my DX66 cog and one cassette spacer to give just enough overlap to tighten it all up.

I got the cog from B2B aswell
    http://www.bike2build.nl/subgroep.ph...dgroepid=00103

Perhaps not the cheapest way but it works fine and looks nice and shiny!

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am living in Berlin right now and have ordered a few things from the US, and have had similar problems with rapacious toll-collecting agencies. What you need to do to avoid these problems is to have the box clearly marked with the words " BEZAHLTE PRIVATEIGENTUM- KEINE GÜTER". Theoretically it's only unpaid-for and business goods that get taxed.
    Tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    hey bob,

i forgot all about bike 2 build, i even have em in my favorites folder.....duh! where in NL are you? i have friends in delft and used to spend a lot of time racing cross right over the border from germany....

jakerollo: i think the tool you used is a dremel. making spacers with the lathe is no problem, in fact i've already got a set done. However, i'd rather have a cog with a bigger foot print so it doesnt tear the chit out of my free-hub body.

thanks all for the help.
    Hi,

I'm in Rotterdam and will be working in Delft as of June/July. I'm with Dirty Hill mountain bike club so if they know the club, the may know me/I may know them...

Good luck with the wheel

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Hmmm, I did not know that. Do you happen to have a reference/source for that info. It seems those guys at the zollamt are always raking me over the coals....it would be nice to have something in writing to get them off my back.

thanks for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Theoretically it's only unpaid-for and business goods that get taxed.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Chuffer,
    My source for this is unfortunately non-governmental. I have got a stipend to study here for a year and the commission that distributes has to deal with just these sorts of toll problems with its students all the time. I got my frame shipped from the US in October and got a bill from GLS, a private firm which delivers USPS parcels within Germany, several months later for over 100 euros, which I of course refused to pay. They harassed me for several months, though. The commission that gives out the stipend wrote the firm that delivered my frame a stern later and the problems ended.
    Things to watch out for:
    -When UPS or GLS or whoever delivers your stuff, you might want to get your roommate to sign. Why? If you didn't sign, you didn't agree upon delivery and didn't agree upon paying the toll.
    -Keep the shipping receipt and bill from the package, and if problems arise, try to get the company from whom you bought the product to send you a bill and short letter proving that your stuff was personal goods.
    -If you wind up writing a letter to the Zollamt, you have to make to:
    1) make clear that you never signed your name
    2) that what you have is personal goods, and prove it with the shipping receipt
    3) write in a VERY stern style demanding to be left alone. Throwing in a "keineswegs" here and a "Ihr auf den Tatsachen der Lieferung nicht basierend und tatsächlich tollgesetzwidriger Vorgang..." there goes a long way.
    Any personal goods not intended for further sale are toll-free in Germany. It's somewhere on zollamt.de or something. Don't know the site's name offhand. Google should help you out here.
    Tim

Hmmm, I did not know that. Do you happen to have a reference/source for that info. It seems those guys at the zollamt are always raking me over the coals....it would be nice to have something in writing to get them off my back.

thanks for the info...
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

clueless
    ... here you will find the german part numbers for shimano dx bmx cogs which will work pretty fine. your lbs can order these, they will cost you something around 10 euros.

ciao
    flo

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    Here is a place to get everything - even if it shouldn't be on the website - Bike Mailorder Berlin

You could always ask in the IBC Singlespeed Forum - we can answer questions in four languages ...

Einverficktergang!

phaty