Georgia Singlespeed Championships- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Georgia Singlespeed Championships

September 29&30, 2012. All states welcome. Short track and night time trial Saturday, XC race is Sunday. 2 kegs of beer provided by Terrapin, free to everyone. Camping on-site, we have the entire campground to reserved, takes about five minutes to ride to trails. Funnest weekend of racing in the southeast! For more info visit: Georgia State Single Speed Championships
    Last edited by beautox; 07-15-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I think I'm going to compete. I need to double check my schedule though. My sisters wedding is somewhere around that date.

I'm from Alabama so I couldn't win the title but it'll still be a fun race.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Robtre
    Thats my birthday weekend. Im in. I was getting kegs of my own, now I have friends!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hell Yeah!

Got my dates wrong, it is the 29th and 30th of September(sat&sun). Bring your friends!

mtbr member
    dang, I missed this last year due to work and I'll be out of the country this year. I'll have to get out to those trails some time soon though. have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Does registration usually fill? I what to do it but I won't know if I can make it for sure until next month.

I am sure I will get my ass handed to me too, but I want to do it just for fun and to see how I measure up.
    Stuffing our faces at an ever smaller table.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You should be OK OdinOrion. You do get a Commemorative pint glass if you register early though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Your $45 dollar entry fee includes camping on Saturday night (full facilities with showers) and three races(short track, night time trial, XC). 7 weeks out!

If you are in the area, roll through!

Register now at Georgia State Single Speed Championships.

Bro Mountainbiker
    This race is the same day as Bamacross race # 1.... I havent totally made up my mind yet.

I would rather race MTB but the cross race is closer, cheaper, and will contribute to my season points...

Im pulling my hair out

Robtre
    Man Im booked. Many of the people here on this thread alone are many people I respect from mtbr and would like to meet. Sign up!
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    hey sheepo,

bamacross doing that night race in Anniston again this year? Got to make it up to that thing this year if it is happening.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yep! We are looking at 11/17 and 11/18 double header of two night races. This is mostly tentative at this point.

The Anniston race last year was our state champ race... Dont know if it is this year.

As of now, Im leaning toward the GA SS state champ race. I love MTB way more but I also have been itching to start the CX season... I get 2 drop races so I think it will be okay if I skip one. Not like Im going to win/place in the 1/2 cross series anyway.

Robtre
    Can anyone give me some honest data on the terrain there? I have never ridden there before and I would like to have some idea of what gears to be runnin'. Im thinking 32x20
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Robtre-

There are no extended climbs and trails are fast and flowy as is de rigueur these days (machine cut by Athens Sorba just about two years ago). I have heard it has gotten a little more rooty over the last year, but still, think fast. with the ability to carry speed into the short climbs. I am hesitant to recommend a gear, but 32x20 on a 29er will be too small for most folks. Hope this helps.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Is this the complete race loop? Are we racing clockwise or CCW?

How many laps for open males?

***edit*** its not letting me link the strava segment. But the strava segment shows a 6.8 mile loop. Is that the race course? Can you log into strava and check it out?

Or if you have a garmin file or even map of the race course that will work too.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sheepo-

I did not look at the loop, but I am sure that is it, as that is all the trail there is out there as of now. Race will include the little lolly pop out and back segment. 3 laps for open males, it is going to be fast.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thanks,

Clockwise or CCW?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Should be clockwise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What will the short course be/like and night time trial? I am still waiting if I'll be working that Saturday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Short track is going to be a little different this year. 4 person heats of one lap, top two qualify to next round. Laps should be around 3/4 to one mile long, with technical shortcuts an option (logs/stairs/etc.) This should be pretty fun as we will have a big bracket up, with the heats labelled and the riders who have advanced. If you get knocked out early, you will be fresh for the night time trial, which is one loop of around 6 1/2 miles. This will be held when it is completely dark out, so a decent light is mandatory. Hope to see you there, getting pretty excited the closer it gets.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, sorry we left some of the details off the website.

Alex

Bro Mountainbiker
    The STXC Eliminator race Sounds hella fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yeah, the short track eliminator will be a good time. we should fill out brackets and do a little betting on the side.

Robtre
    Whats the clydesdale race going to look like? Im outta shape and I need to know what Im in for.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Robtre-

The clydesdale race will be three laps, somewhere around 20 miles. If we ran it at two, it just would not be enough racing(riding) for most folks to justify driving out for. It's a pretty quick 20. See you in a few weeks.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Plan on preriding tomorrow at Noon! That time isnt fixed yet but PM me if you want to come along and ride.

On my 1x bike though. So Im gonna be kinda lame. Just want to figure out the best gear ratio.

As for the short track, any climbs on the 1 mile lap? Or is it all fast and flat? Im probably going to bring out my tools and a bunch of cogs come race day and get it dialed on the spot.

Bro Mountainbiker
    The course is fun and very fast. Kinda like a 7 mile roller coaster/pump track. It has a many great berms and a lot of semi-sketchy off camber turns. Pretty much a perfect ratio of each.

Kind of monotonous though. Zero tech and all smooth fast clay/ hardpack. A great trail has sections like this^^ but also has technical parts and tricky lines. It may wear in to have some sections like this in the future.

Gear is gonna be 32x17 on a rigid 29er. Supposedly, some ran bigger gears last year but I prefer to "spin to win".

Still clueless about the shorttrack. Gonna bring a 14 15 16 17 and 18 just in case.

Hope they dont do the "chug a beer shortcut" out there either. I want to race a bike race and drink beer after.

Robtre
    [QUOTE=Sheepo5669;9652045]The course is fun and very fast. Kinda like a 7 mile roller coaster/pump track. It has a many great berms and a lot of semi-sketchy off camber turns. Pretty much a perfect ratio of each.

Kind of monotonous though. Zero tech and all smooth fast clay/ hardpack. A great trail has sections like this^^ but also has technical parts and tricky lines. It may wear in to have some sections like this in the future.

Gear is gonna be 32x17 on a rigid 29er. Supposedly, some ran bigger gears last year but I prefer to "spin to win".

Sounds like my home course at Lake Norman State Park! 32x17 it is.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0