geometry- Mtbr.com

Thread: geometry

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. geometry

Hey guys,
    As many of you might know I am in the process of designing a single speed frame. I am looking for the ultimate geometry. I want something that I can race on, but will be comfortable enough to rack up some miles on. I was looking at the inbred geo. Doesn?t seem to have full blow race setup, I want to run a ridged, but if I become a sissy then I would probably want to run a 120 (such as a marathon or something cool)
    What frames should I look at to "steal" (or ask) for the geo?, like the 1x1? or what else is cool, is there much difference?
    Thanks
    yungracer

Retro Grouch

Sarcastic responce (meant in a kind way)

Quote Originally Posted by yungracer
    Hey guys,
    As many of you might know I am in the process of designing a single speed frame. I am looking for the ultimate geometry. I want something that I can race on, but will be comfortable enough to rack up some miles on. I was looking at the inbred geo. Doesn?t seem to have full blow race setup, I want to run a ridged, but if I become a sissy then I would probably want to run a 120 (such as a marathon or something cool)
    What frames should I look at to "steal" (or ask) for the geo?, like the 1x1? or what else is cool, is there much difference?
    Thanks
    yungracer

Yes, I too am looking for the perfect frame. It should weight about 2.5 lbs, be made of steel (cause steel is real) and weight about 20lbs built up. It should handle like a XC bike with an ridged fork, handle like a free ride hardtail with a 5 inch fork and still be able to handle a 24 hour marathon. (end sarcasim)

yungracer,

Every bike is a compromise of geometry and components. When Paul Sadoff (Rocklobster Bikes) made my Single Speed he built into the geometry that I have a 32 inch inseam, was going to use a 4 inch shock, and like a flat bar with bar ends (amoungst many other things). I told Paul I wanted a bike similar to my old Bonty but with more layed back geometry and slower handling. He hit it spot on. Change any of those factors and the bike will not handle as it does. As mentioned earlier Keith Bontrager has an article in the new Dirt Rag about the effect of shock length on cornering (never mind climbing and decending).

No one bike will do it all. Not even if all you want is a the perfect Single Speed.

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    There is a huge difference and 120mm is a very tall fork so you may have trouble finding a rigid that tall without going custom. I don't know exactly but I'd say a Marathon 120mm is probably somewhere around 470mm axle-to-crown with sag (don't take my word for it though, i'm just estimating). If you put a 120 on a Surly it would be completely choppered out. If I were doing it and wanted reasonable handling with a fork that long I would probably be checking out the geometry of something made for longer forks like say the Santa Cruz Chameleon. On the other hand, if you just want generic NORBA geometry, go to the JensonUSA website and take it straight off of their 853EBB frame. However, it is not going to feel nice with that long of a fork. I'll let some of the other guys chime in to see what they think now.