GENIUS ( or a lame idea?)- Mtbr.com
    PSYCHOLUST

GENIUS ( or a lame idea?)

Ok, had an idea while out riding.
    I have all the bits and pieces to build an SS for my girlfreind.
    She loves riding and racing and has always riden a traditional geared bike...

The idea:
    In place of a single COG, use a portion of a cassette, I have an 17T/20T pair from an old Dura Ace cassette, and run a 34T ring up front.
    I'm using her old GIANT XTC frame so in place of a tentioner I'll use an old deraileur with a peice of brake cable ( anchor in the barrel adjuster ) to align it.

Here's the weird part..... use the barrel adjuster to realign the deraileur to run the 20T if need be..........

Sort of a BEGINNERS SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    edit because I failed to actually crunch the numbers.
    Last edited by markj2k4; 07-06-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    here's an even better idea:

White Double Double: 35:19 or slide the chain over and 38:16

mtbr member
    Couple of issues I see here.
    1. your're biggest problem is going to be chainline. Even if it's just a little off, you might have problems dropping your chain. Dinglespeeds will usually change the ring up front as well as in the back to maintain good chainline. Once you start shifting in the back without a guide/ front d. in the front, you are looking for problems.
    2. using a derailler to to tension is fine. You'll need longer screws to set your high/low limits. Easy to find at the hardware store. you might run into an issue of whether the barrel adjuster will give you enough adjustment to jump between the two cogs.

I would just skip the headache and put her on the 34/20 to start with. Cool idea though.

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    here's an even better idea:

White Double Double: 35:19 or slide the chain over and 38:16
    werent you slamming white industries stuff just the other day?
    Winter is coming.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    lots of people swear by them. i was only slamming on their freewheels. i have ENO cranks on my 26er, and absolutely love them.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Use the rear derailer and two (or three!) chainrings. Downshifting can be done with a foot and it takes moment to get the chain back up to something larger. It would be the simplest set up- somewhat similar to what my friend used to get into SS (and no, he didn't stay- he's back to fully geared.)

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    just use the 17t and apply redline when necessary:

http://www.vpxsports.com/sports-nutr...gy=REDLINE-RTD

that stuff will get you going
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    just use the 17t and apply redline when necessary:

http://www.vpxsports.com/sports-nutr...gy=REDLINE-RTD

that stuff will get you going
    hell yea.

but really, to op. i dont think its a great idea. i tried something similar and when i wanted to change gears it did just suck to do so so i said screw it and stuck with regular ss.

although the dinlge option is pretty rad.

Single Speed Nation
    You would need a chainguide/derailler at the chainrings to keep the chain in place. I ran a 1x9 for a few monthes without anything to keep the chain in place up front. A derailler just doesn't supply enough tension to keep the chain on when you're bouncing all over the place on rocks and meaner terrain. It was actually dangerous at times, what with my chain falling off at the most inopportune moments.

Other than that, I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would be the most budget singlespeed conversion ever.

Also, instead of using a cable to set your derailler, try to find longer set screws. That way you can just set your H & L so that your derailler is locked in place.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I've tried similar set ups in the past and it didn't work well. You could maybe dial it in but I doubt it would ever work real well. If you want her to have 2 gears, set up a dingle. I personally would like to do this.

Half the beauty of SS is the simplicity/reliability. Just set her up with a low gear (like sub 50 gear inches) and she will probably do fine.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule

so was it our idea or hers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i was only slamming on their freewheels.
    Ok, so who makes a better freewheel than WI?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    perhaps nobody, but that does not mean they are the best.

ACS and Shimano freewheels are 1/3 the cost, and perform just as well or better than WI.

[waits for the typical subjective fanboy rebuttal that WI is the bee's knees]

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If nobody makes a better one, then aren't they, by definition, the best?

ACS and Shimano freewheels are 1/3 the cost, and perform just as well or better than WI.
    I would agree that Shimano freewheels work just as well, but I also know for fact they don't last nearly as long. I like having as many set-and-forget parts on my bikes as possible.

PSYCHOLUST
    so was it our idea or hers?
    I'm not sure what you are actually asking, But I, meaning "ME" or "MYSELF", Had thought an SS would be the next obvious addition to her quiver . Most training rides I ride an SS and she rides a geared bike and she has doubts that she would be strong enough to ride an SS in the areas we ride.....Building a bike with a 2:1 default gearing with a lower "get out of trouble" gear that she could use rather than start walking climbs on the way out, seemed like an idea worth considering

singletrack bound

I have blown through a couple of ACS and Shimano freewheels and when I went WI I put five years on the 18T and sold the bike. saw it last week and it's still going strong.
    just sayin'

Axles of Evil

Paul Melvin

Quote Originally Posted by scyule
    She loves riding and racing and has always riden a traditional geared bike...

The idea:
    In place of a single COG, use a portion of a cassette, I have an 17T/20T pair from an old Dura Ace cassette, and run a 34T ring up front.
    I'm using her old GIANT XTC frame so in place of a tentioner I'll use an old deraileur with a peice of brake cable ( anchor in the barrel adjuster ) to align it.

Here's the weird part..... use the barrel adjuster to realign the deraileur to run the 20T if need be..........

Sort of a BEGINNERS SS
    An easier way:
    Double up front, 30-32 small ring and 34-38 big ring, or whatever ratio you like/need. Single cog in the rear. Again, figure out what gearing you want. Use a front derailleur and shifter for front end duties. Mount a Paul's Melvin in the rear hanger. It keeps tension on the chain when using a single cog and two chainrings.

Done. And you'll get to look like a genious.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

ACS and Shimano freewheels both operate as freewheels just like the WI. They don't continue that operation for as long and the cost to replace them far exceeds that of the WI if you plan on running the WI for more than a couple years. Much less if you ride your bike through any mud or water. I've trashed a Shimano freewheel in a month of riding. My WI is like brand new after a few years now.

Back to the OP.... you could try the derailleur set between the two and see if it skips or anything. If not, you may want to try getting really creative by having a cable hooked up and hooking it on a cable stop for the big gear and letting it slip and hit the limit for the other gear. I have a feeling that adjusting the limit is going to get old fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0