Gears on an SS hub- Mtbr.com
    hmmm.

Gears on an SS hub

I've seen a couple people've gone 1x3 on their SS hubs, and thought it was a pretty cool idea. But is this something that works on all SS hubs? Do some have more space than others? And I suppose this isn't an SS question, but how much of a jump can a derailleur handle from gear to gear?

Peace & Love
    yes, i will be doing so for my new project. there are a variety of ways one can do it, some far more robust than others (ie, work better) and there is some variability across hubs with how many gears you can run.

Some cassettes used for said project will require modifications as well that are beyond my skill level but there are for sure options. For example, a very good way to do it is to have a modified 9-speed XT cassette hub "converted/modified" to a 6-speed cassette. This requires some machining but will work on several SS cassette hubs. I am going to run mine on a King SS hub. Here is a picture of a cassette just like mine but in this case, on a DT Swiss SS cassette hub.

In this case there is required machining both on the length as well as a bit of machining inside the carrier by a spline in order for it to fit properly on SS hub. Some people also use SRAM cassettes - I just didnt trust myself to do anything right and went with Jeff Jones' recommendation via XT M770 cassette as I KNOW for sure that will work as JJ has done so for many folks.

Also important to note...some rear ders will be more of a pain in the ass than others to accomodate this setup. SRAM actually does not work as well, but can be done. A longer stop screw may be required as well. "Shadow" Shimano stuff also not optimal. The recommended rear der is a Shimano non shadow rear der (e.g., XTR M971 is what i am going to use but XT fine too of course).

Since spacing on cassette is still 9-speed you just use a corresponding 9-speed shifter.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 11-08-2009 at 07:23 AM.

hmmm.
    Unfortunately machining isn't my forte.. Is it possible to locate a 5-speed sized freehub that'll just bolt on and fit? Or if I can't machine should I just go with a normal geared hub with spacers?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by David9999999
    Unfortunately machining isn't my forte.. Is it possible to locate a 5-speed sized freehub that'll just bolt on and fit? Or if I can't machine should I just go with a normal geared hub with spacers?
    LOL...nor is machining mine! I can barely fix a flat. I ordered mine directly from Jeff Jones a few weeks ago to make sure it was done perfectly

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you have a hope trials hub the m770 cogs will fit directly and even an extra cog. 6 speed is doable without any modifications.

You could also buy a cheap deore cogset and tear it apart. That way you can even create custom cassettes.

Peace & Love
    yeah, i do think hope is a smidgen longer than some other SS hubs, with some folks as you say even using 7 cogs from cassette after machining down XT (or perhaps SRAM with no machining on a Hope?), though the small (e.g., 15t) will be running directly on the cassette as opposed to the other 6 splined together, but would be ok

and per plagirization from others' comments, a few extra comments that may help the OP:

For SRAM setup:
    1. use a bolt from a SRAM gripshift (M4 x 16 .70 pitch) as the low limit adjustment screw.
    2. use a small retaining ring for spacing out the rear derailleur from the dropout.

https://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php?cat=1656

Another success story, which sounds rather easy, is as follows based on using 5 cogs from a SRAM PG990 with an XTR M953 rapid rise and XT shifter

Last edited by FoShizzle; 11-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yups I think that seven speed is doable when machining down the carrier. A friend of mine works at a machine shop and he's gonna try to machine one down so I can get a 7 speed.

hmmm.
    Cool. Sounds like a Hope hub would be best, with XT derailleur eh?

Members who have read this thread: 0