Gearing suggestion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Gearing suggestion

OK folks, I know this has been posted quite a bit but I want to get more specific with my criteria in the hopes that I will get some consistent suggestions (not, it depends on your riding style, etc.).
    I am converting a donated Campy road frame to single speed for commuting only. I am looking at riding mostly rolling paved bike paths with a little smooth dirt thrown in (no huge hills) in the Boulder, CO area. I want to put a little fatter tire on the bike (if that's possible) for bad weather days and the occasional dirt ride.
    Having said all this, and knowing the bike is now essentially just a road frame (so the suggestion to test a few gears to see what I like is out of the question) what would those of you experienced in riding a SS road bike suggest would be a good gear ratio?

By the way, I am an OK rider strength wise, and not afraid to mash if need be on these short commutes to build up some endurance. Thanks in advance

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I ride a 38 x 15 on the road with 32 x 700c tires through the rolling hills of Connecticut.

Members who have read this thread: 0