Gearing for SS cross bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Gearing for SS cross bike

I rode with a guy with a SS CX the other day. I never would have considered it before, but now that I'm spending more time on a SS mtb, the thought crosses (pun intended) my mind. The fact that he made the conversion with a ENO hub made it seem too easy since I could use my Redline.

I currently race a 13-26 and a 42 up front. When I think about it, I probably spend most of any race in the 16-21 range, so 2.63 to 2.0. In a boggy course (rare in mid-Atlantic) I may spend some time in the 26t and on a really fast section I may go into the smaller cogs.

What type of gear do CX SS'ers run? I run 34/18 on my SS mtb and 42/16 on my fixed road bike but the I don't think either is much of a basis for gearing on a cx bike intended to be raced.

Steamroller

I don't race mine

But I cruise trails, commute, and pose well with 42X20. It seems like a good all around gear. I have not really tried any long steep climbs yet.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    32x18 SS MTN
    44x16 Fixed RD
    42x18 SS CX this is working the best for most of my Trail/road riding

Most Delicious
    I used to race on a 43-18, except for one course that had a long climb, where I geared down to a 38.

Run the biggest gear you can get away with for the hills that you can't run faster.

mtbr member

ss cross

mountain: IF deluxe 32x16 with 2.1 tires
    fixed-offroad: Surly CC 34x17 with 44 ritchey tires
    cross race bike: Gunnar crosshairs 44x20 with 35 irc tires

The Gunnar's 44x20 gives me a 60" gear which is just about right for me in cross racing. Needs vary depending on the course but it has vertical dropouts so I'm pretty limited in my gear selection unless I want to run a tensioner.

SO far it's been good but we're just at the start of the season and the courses have not had lots of flats to spin out in.

- a

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

depends on course

Quote Originally Posted by happygofun
    mountain: IF deluxe 32x16 with 2.1 tires
    fixed-offroad: Surly CC 34x17 with 44 ritchey tires
    cross race bike: Gunnar crosshairs 44x20 with 35 irc tires

The Gunnar's 44x20 gives me a 60" gear which is just about right for me in cross racing. Needs vary depending on the course but it has vertical dropouts so I'm pretty limited in my gear selection unless I want to run a tensioner.

SO far it's been good but we're just at the start of the season and the courses have not had lots of flats to spin out in.

- a
    I've recently started riding in some CX races, and i would really think that an optimal cx race gear could be much different from course to course. That is my observation. I rode in one a couple weeks ago on my 29er w/ a 32X18, and I am racing this week (same course) w/ a 32X16. it might be a littlbe big, I maybe should have got a 17, but we'll see. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0