Gearing Selections for Racing Sea Otter on a SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gearing Selections for Racing Sea Otter on a SS

I'm thinking of riding the beginner / sport single speed class at Sea Otter. Does anybody have any thoughts on gearing? I don't have a feel for it looking at the profiles. My current setup is a 34x20. If anybody's familar w/ Skeggs, I can make it up the El Corte de Madera Creek trail to the Skeggs parking lot, but it's a real struggle towards the end. I don't get in as much dirt riding as I used to, but I kick in about 65 mi/week on my road bike. I have 32T, 34T chain rings and an 18T freewheel that I can play with.

thanks.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by lml1x
    I'm thinking of riding the beginner / sport single speed class at Sea Otter. Does anybody have any thoughts on gearing?
    I don't think it much matters what gearing you choose. From all I heard about last year... everyone on an SS loses a bunch of speed on the pavement stretches and the flats..and there is a considerable amount.Personally? I would stick w/ what I run all the time....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I'm thinking of riding the beginner / sport single speed class at Sea Otter. Does anybody have any thoughts on gearing? I don't have a feel for it looking at the profiles. My current setup is a 34x20. If anybody's familar w/ Skeggs, I can make it up the El Corte de Madera Creek trail to the Skeggs parking lot, but it's a real struggle towards the end. I don't get in as much dirt riding as I used to, but I kick in about 65 mi/week on my road bike. I have 32T, 34T chain rings and an 18T freewheel that I can play with.

thanks.
    I would put the 18 on. There are plenty of places where you are going slightly downhill and a slightly higher gear is nice.

I usually run a 36 x 21 at home and will go to a 36 x 19 or 41 x 21 for Sea Otter.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ride what you want!!
    I'm thinking of riding the beginner / sport single speed class at Sea Otter.

thanks.
    Well, if you ride skeggs you're not far from Sea Otter, go ride the course.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Close as 2 to 1 as possible

it's a fast course.

mtbr member

36/18...

That's what I used at SOC back in 2001. Just so you know, the last major hill, yes, the loooooong one is a beoatch. But after that and possible cramp, you're home free on the pavement, which will be a cause for much spinning. Have fun! I did. Oh, and you should preride it during the fun ride...for free.'

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    it's a fast course.

I'll second that- Hollywood and I raced beginner SS last year with a socal-friednly 34:19 for me, and close to the same for him (i think), and we got our butts kicked...

yeah! it was the gearing! that was the reason we didnt do so hot!

(wow- nearly a year later and I finally have a good excuse for nearly DFL-ing)

seriously- closer to 2:1 would have been ideal- if you're strong, there might be one hill that you might walk....unless it rained for 12 hours the previous night and then you'll be walking a little more. that mud was hellish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Those *******s started "sanitizing" sections of the course yesterday

mtbr member

sanitizing?

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Those *******s started "sanitizing" sections of the course yesterday
    What do you mean by sanitizing? Like bleaching it with Clorox? Like wearing space suits against E.T.?

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    What do you mean by sanitizing? Like bleaching it with Clorox? Like wearing space suits against E.T.?
    no- making them EASIER to ride (those trails needed that? damn- be glad they dont ride in socal! we actually leave some rocks embedded into the trail!)

gnomer:
    thanks for the ET mental image. I hated that movie.

mtbr member

sons of b¡tches!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    no- making them EASIER to ride (those trails needed that? damn- be glad they dont ride in socal! we actually leave some rocks embedded into the trail!)

gnomer:
    thanks for the ET mental image. I hated that movie.
    sons of b¡tches! I can't believe they're doing that! Man! and all the help I gave them for 3 years!
    I like the course the way it was. I even had 3 friends of mine travel from the midwest to race it and they loved some of the technical sections.

GA!

Sorry about the E.T. thing. Better than using any imagery from "Outbreak"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Like with a bulldozer with a "ripping" attachment on the back. Ewok & Goat trails so far.
    It *should* be a highway this year.....Ya know, we can't have anything too difficult for the Pro Roadies out there.
    I'm riding it tonight to see just how bad they're going to f@%k it up, I'll let you guy's know.

Cracker-magnon
    Like with a bulldozer with a "ripping" attachment on the back. Ewok & Goat trails so far.
    It *should* be a highway this year.....Ya know, we can't have anything too difficult for the Pro Roadies out there.
    I'm riding it tonight to see just how bad they're going to f@%k it up, I'll let you guy's know.
    Bummer, take some pics if you can of what they are tearing up. Bulldozers and mountain bikes do not mix. If they are tearing it up to bad we could always launch a protest to the Otter admin.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    sons of b¡tches! I can't believe they're doing that! Man! and all the help I gave them for 3 years!
    I like the course the way it was. I even had 3 friends of mine travel from the midwest to race it and they loved some of the technical sections.

GA!

Sorry about the E.T. thing. Better than using any imagery from "Outbreak"
    good point on the outbreak part.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    GpSSer - They're not using a Cat D9 or anything BUT, it's about 5 ft. wide and that I don't consider "singletrack"..........

Cracker-magnon
    GpSSer - They're not using a Cat D9 or anything BUT, it's about 5 ft. wide and that I don't consider "singletrack"..........
    Figured it wasn't anything to big, although a bobcat would be to big. 5ft is like double track bike path width....fun
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Are you shitting me? These are the same improvements that created those water bars from hell that sent people to the hospital with broken backs.

mtbr member

thanks.
    I base my selection on the long climb home. I'm spun out on Goat and other sections, but I'd be spun in a few gears taller too, so what the hell. Its nice to be able to climb Hurl Hill too.

I'm stoked they added a women's ss class this year, but disappointed to see its only one lap. We are going to write and ask them to give us the two we have been racing all these years. What are we, invalids? If not, look for us to be in the men's field again.

Sabine

Call 911

New question here. womens ss class at sea otter

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    I base my selection on the long climb home. I'm spun out on Goat and other sections, but I'd be spun in a few gears taller too, so what the hell. Its nice to be able to climb Hurl Hill too.

I'm stoked they added a women's ss class this year, but disappointed to see its only one lap. We are going to write and ask them to give us the two we have been racing all these years. What are we, invalids? If not, look for us to be in the men's field again.

Sabine
    hi sabine,

you rule...and i am wondering when this class was added- i can find it on the reg sheet. Also, what gearing did you end up running last year. Thanks for any scoop...

jessica

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No kidding!

Are you shitting me? These are the same improvements that created those water bars from hell that sent people to the hospital with broken backs.

Amanda did a huge high speed header last year when we pre rode on Friday, she wasn't even sure she was gonna race on Sunday her head and neck still hurt so bad. Than to find out she was pregnant when that happened! She/we got very lucky. And it had nothing to do with "technical" those things were/are just flat out dangerous, especially since they were new.

If the "improvements" they are doing are repairing or removing those waterbars.... good!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How's the casa comin' Sabine???
    I'll post monyanna what the condiciones are like

The race, not the animal!

I ride the Sea Otter trails 5 days a week on a SS

and the gear ratio on my bike is 34 x 17. Depending on the day there are two hills that are tough. One is refered to as Hurl Hill coming out of "Couch Canyon" and the second hill is known by third *****. The three *****es occur just before the single track that takes you down to the fire road where you encounter the long climb (The Grind) back into the race track.

That being said, during the Sport class last year I could not climb the Third ***** on my geared bike as a pile of bikes forced everyone off their rides. If I did the SS category, I would plane of the jump off and run during these two points and run a 2:1 ratio that I could utilzed on the rest of the course.

Good Luck.
    Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount a Single Speed!. This is your moment. Ride On !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica
    hi sabine,

you rule...and i am wondering when this class was added- i can find it on the reg sheet. Also, what gearing did you end up running last year. Thanks for any scoop...

jessica
    They added it about a week ago. I only found out because Stella told me about it this weekend.
    http://www.seaotterclassic.com/_frameset_notices.htm

I'm going to put the word out, one lap or two. You going to sign up?

I used a 32 x 18. It was a little annoying being spun out, but I was happy for it on the 2nd lap. Just find some big clydesdale guy to draft on the fireroad descents and you won't need to pedal anyway.

Sabine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    Amanda did a huge high speed header last year when we pre rode on Friday, she wasn't even sure she was gonna race on Sunday her head and neck still hurt so bad. Than to find out she was pregnant when that happened! She/we got very lucky. And it had nothing to do with "technical" those things were/are just flat out dangerous, especially since they were new.

If the "improvements" they are doing are repairing or removing those waterbars.... good!
    Yes, she is very lucky. We had quite a few local riders that needed Evac'd out in the weeks following that "improvement". Dumbest water bars I ever did see,

Things must be pretty crazy for you guys right now then, huh?

Sabine

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Well then........

"Dumbest water bars I ever did see"

There are now 4 or 5 of those on the Goat going into the G-out and the "Back-Breaker" one at the bottom is Bigger & Dumber (is that a word?).
    Ewok has channels or ridges running down it, the whole length of the trail. Couch Canyon was untouched so far.
    I really hope they're not done with their "improvements" because everything they graded was loose with clumps of dirt/mud and needs to be packed or it will just rut up.
    Silly me.... I thought they were doing a pretty good job of trail building after seeing their work on Barloy Canyon but after seeing what these guy's have done over the last couple of day's is just a complete 180 from the dirrection I thought they were going in .........
    I find it strange that the BLM "sanitizes" the rutty "problem areas" and even some places where there was NO erosion problems to make the course "safer" and then they build these water bars improperly and create dangerous situations for riders/racers.
    I think the best thing we can do is get as many people on the course as soon as possible to pack the "improvements" down, just don't banzai down Ewok or Goat like you used to be able to until you're familiar with the changes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep, we're still in adjustment period

Yes, she is very lucky. We had quite a few local riders that needed Evac'd out in the weeks following that "improvement". Dumbest water bars I ever did see,

Things must be pretty crazy for you guys right now then, huh?

Sabine
    more so for Amanda of course. She's getting back to being active and has been riding the trainer at this point. Me? Still riding plenty but just not racing like I did last year. At this point last year I think I'd done five races (road and mtn)....so far this year....ONE! LOL!

All worth it though.

We'll be at Sea Otter, so hopefully you'll get a chance to see Amanda and Rylan.

See ya soon.