Gearing question/opinion- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Gearing question/opinion

Ok, so as part of the new me in the new year, I have swapped out my 18t rear for a 16t. I have pretty much been riding on a 32:18 set up since being on the SS last year and tested the waters once or twice in the early fall. In any case, I swapped it out last night on my stock wheels. I manged to get in a quick 5 mile ride on the Seneca Greenway trail (for those that are local to me). It is not that demanding of a trail but perfect for nice little rides this time of year.

So, the first thing I noticed was it was harder to pedal of course. I did not get super winded on the one main climb but I was forced to stand more and my quads were definitely burning.

Now my question is this. I did the swap before committing to a group night ride on Friday night on simiar trails (actually a little more challenging-Little Bennet/Black Hills). I don't know how far we will be going or for how long at this point. I am guessing maybe 10-15 miles. I am wondering if I should go ahead and switch back to the 18 for this. My biggest fear is that I will blow up or cause others to ride slower since this is a no drop type of ride. However, at the moment, there are only 2-3 people signed up for the ride so it would utterly suck if I could not hang and they were forced to ride slower than they would have liked.

What would you guys do? Would you just suck it up and give it a shot? Would you swap back to give yourself more of a fighting chance?

I really don't know the trails in this area so I would not really be comfortable with dropping at this point since I don't know where the hell I am going. I guess I am leaning to swapping towards swaping them back out. I mean, I have two sets of wheels, one with an 18 and one with a 16 though I would prefer to swap the cog on the 16 set since they are my cheap stock wheels and I will be riding at night on trails I have not been on.

Low Rep Count
    woops posted in the wrong place.

surly inbred
    I'm sorry, what?

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    woops posted in the wrong place.
    More better.

Low Rep Count
    Yeah, started typing my other question (thread) in the post response box and when I hit post, it showed up here. Don't know how I missed that so I deleted and started the other thread. Sorry about that.

Really am just trying to get a feeling of whether you guys would take the chance on the harder gear or go with what you know as far as gearing.

Low Rep Count
    Heard back from someone that has done the ride and will be making the swap back to the 18t. Oh the joy.

mtbr member
    You think too much, maybe try some gears
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

Low Rep Count
    Yep! But in my defense, the office is slow as hell today!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yup, swap back until you know better...

Low Rep Count
    I may try to squeek out a ride tomorrow with the 16 again before pulling it. I figure it will only help to make me stronger. I also won't feel like it was a waste of my time swapping the cog to only get in one ride on it. They are also calling for snow on Friday so I don't know if we are going to all get out or not on our night ride. We'll see, but I will make plans to have it swapped out by Friday just in case.

Apr 2007
    I usually drop down/move up in 1T increments. Try out a 17T.

Made the mistake of dropping 2 on my road bike last summer on a 30 mile ride (48x18 to 48x16). I thought I was man enough, but was once again, proven wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I usually drop down/move up in 1T increments. Try out a 17T.

Made the mistake of dropping 2 on my road bike last summer on a 30 mile ride (48x18 to 48x16). I thought I was man enough, but was once again, proven wrong.
    48x16 is evil that's what I have on the fixed side of my flipflop and it kills me. I have a 17 freewheel on the other side and it's great....go figure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub
    48x16 is evil that's what I have on the fixed side of my flipflop and it kills me.
    It'll kill your rear tire, too.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah I know it came on the bike. When I do ride fixed I don't skid, I have a rear brake why bother.

Members who have read this thread: 0