Gearing for endurance races- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Gearing for endurance races

Riding the Cascade Creampuff 100 this July on my 29er SS and I'm wondering: I've heard some folks say you should "gear up" for events like that.

What think y'all? Should I get a cog with another tooth on it for the race?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by sheaminator
    Riding the Cascade Creampuff 100 this July on my 29er SS and I'm wondering: I've heard some folks say you should "gear up" for events like that.

What think y'all? Should I get a cog with another tooth on it for the race?
    SS'd the Puff in '02... ran 34x21 on a 26" wheel. That's "only" a 42" gear... by the 3rd lap, with 67 miles and 11,000' elevation gain behind me, I was wishing I could reverse my gears and run 21x34.

At that point, still with 34 miles + 5,500' to go, I probably walked 3-4 miles on that last lap. Was happy just to finish.

The prior year aboard a 1x8, XC FS race bike, I came in 25th overall and set a new Master's record by an hour and a half. Whoa... what a difference a few gears make.

If I was to SS it again, I'd gear even lower. But keep in mind I was 48 back in '02. I've come to believe that SS becomes a disadvantage in ultra events as age progresses. Hate to admit it, but regardless, I've come to believe it.

I'll see you on July 10th. If you haven't heard, Scott (Puff promoter) intends to return to the "classic" 3-lap course again this year.

I'll be aboard a Turner Sultan named "Tingle" for it's 1x10 drivetrain -- 31t chainring (HBC, thank you) and 11-36t cassette. Going for finisher's cap #5 this year.

No, it's not a singlespeed. Been there, done that.

Whatever. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

--sParty

P.S. The year I SS'd the Puff, I came in 4th in my class (Masters at the time)... and was the only Master aboard an SS. Almost podiumed anyway! Grrrr... missed it by thaaaat much.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    tough call...I've seen people burn out on longer rides from running too hard of a gear, yet you always see some of the top pros running them. It's gunna be all about your fitness. I've typically always ran the same gear on every race regardless of distance, however i always wondered how i'd do if i ran a harder gear.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I'd gear low. I don't do endurance events (although I want to start) but I do race cross. I couldn't imagine why you'd want to run a tall gear for such an event unless you plan on walking a whole lot. It's all about your fitness level, but even the pro's that I've heared interviewed are generally running a pretty average gear.

nothing to see here
    Just make sure you do heaps of training miles.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Members who have read this thread: 0