Gearing ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gearing ?

mtbr member

Gearing ?

Is there a big difference between a 16 tooth cog and a 17. I have a 16 for shorter rides and racing and a 18 for longer all day rides and endurance racing. Would a 17 tooth cog be a happy medium so there is no more gear changes?
    Ride & Smile

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    Is there a big difference between a 16 tooth cog and a 17. I have a 16 for shorter rides and racing and a 18 for longer all day rides and endurance racing. Would a 17 tooth cog be a happy medium so there is no more gear changes?
    Personally I doubt you'll notice much difference between the 17t and either of the other two. While I can certainly tell a difference between cogs with two teeth difference, I wouldn't change gears if there was only one tooth difference.

Maybe that's a good reason to go for the 17t. It would allow you to leave one cog on all the time and not have to change back & forth between the 16t & 18t, which it sounds like what you wish to do.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Apr 2007
    As cheap as cogs are, just go ahead and try it. Just got a 20T for the wife for something like $5 at Jenson. If she likes it, I'll get a nice Surly.

Members who have read this thread: 0