Gearing for 12 Hours of Razorback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Gearing for 12 Hours of Razorback

I normally ride 34x17 gearing for SS. I live in Ohio which is vertically challenged similar to Florida. I am running the race solo. I am thinking of swapping to a 33x17 for the race. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    34x17 through grannies revenge will have you busting a lung. Lots of short steep climbing after tight corners. Try 32x18 or 32x20 for the 12 hours. Bring a few choices and pre ride. This is a very tough trail to SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I will be at that race also!! never ridden the trail. I am from NC where we have nothing but tight singletrack it seems, and I usually ride a 34x18. I will probably bring it and try it during a warm up lap(the day before the race), I am also bringing my geared bike as well. Can't wait for this race. I am doing it on a 3 man team so I won't be doing half the work you will be solo, so I will definatly have it easier. Any more advice on this trail. I have just seen pics etc. looks like tons of fun.
    p.s what kind of tires work well there? later, jus

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Just me, but

when I change gearing for races it always seems to not go as well as planned. I spin out way too fast or can't fing my rythem while climbing, stuff like that. I don't change gear for any race at any time except the Creampuff, there is just too much climbing, even then I think in past years I should not have changed and this year will not. Ride what you ride, if it works for you. I run a 34x18 on both my SS the 29er and 26". I have raced 4 24hr races with that gear and a number of marathons, and also would race the SS expert class at local races followed by the Clydesdale or sport class on the SS. I don't know about you, but I just don't see the point in changing what you ride for one race. It doesn't help, because unless you change and get used to the smaller gear you are just hurting yourself. I really don't know what works for you, so this may all be moot, but maybe it helps or not. Ed

mtbr member
    May 2004

Run what you are use to

I'm with Ed run what gear you are use to unless the terrain is totally different from your local trails. When I go to Florida to ride I switch from a 34x20 (in the NW) to a 34x17 or 16. I would say you would be better off to push last 10 feet of a climb in Florida than to be spinning to fast for 12 hours.

Ed are we going to see you at the Puff this year? I thought you were in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by scarkinsmel
    when I change gearing for races it always seems to not go as well as planned. I spin out way too fast or can't fing my rythem while climbing, stuff like that. I don't change gear for any race at any time except the Creampuff, there is just too much climbing, even then I think in past years I should not have changed and this year will not. Ride what you ride, if it works for you. I run a 34x18 on both my SS the 29er and 26". I have raced 4 24hr races with that gear and a number of marathons, and also would race the SS expert class at local races followed by the Clydesdale or sport class on the SS. I don't know about you, but I just don't see the point in changing what you ride for one race. It doesn't help, because unless you change and get used to the smaller gear you are just hurting yourself. I really don't know what works for you, so this may all be moot, but maybe it helps or not. Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBoy
    I'm with Ed run what gear you are use to unless the terrain is totally different from your local trails. When I go to Florida to ride I switch from a 34x20 (in the NW) to a 34x17 or 16. I would say you would be better off to push last 10 feet of a climb in Florida than to be spinning to fast for 12 hours.

Ed are we going to see you at the Puff this year? I thought you were in Germany.
    I sent in my money and had some friends plan their wedding around the event so I would have a reason to fly back. Ed

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeanddrum
    I will be at that race also!! never ridden the trail. I am from NC where we have nothing but tight singletrack it seems, and I usually ride a 34x18. I will probably bring it and try it during a warm up lap(the day before the race), I am also bringing my geared bike as well. Can't wait for this race. I am doing it on a 3 man team so I won't be doing half the work you will be solo, so I will definatly have it easier. Any more advice on this trail. I have just seen pics etc. looks like tons of fun.
    p.s what kind of tires work well there? later, jus
    Tons of fun. mostly nice hardpack and some little areas of mud. choose your tire based on your favorite for those conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Won the solo 12 single speed class at Reddick in 2002. Ran a 32x21 gear on a Giant NRS full boinger SS. Could have used more gear on the flats, but, in the end it worked out well.

Good luck to all who race it!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've placed as well as second at Reddick using 34x18.
    On a 26" wheel. 2.2 tire.

On the 29er, I run 34x20 with a 2.1 Nano. Which a
    19t would be perfect, but I don't have one.

Reddick is one of the best places to SS. It has nice flow,
    with enough tight stuff that big ring gearies can't get away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mondo
    Won the solo 12 single speed class at Reddick in 2002. Ran a 32x21 gear on a Giant NRS full boinger SS. Could have used more gear on the flats, but, in the end it worked out well.

Good luck to all who race it!
    saw you there little bit ago. whats up with the K2.

mtbr member

Run A 34x18

I rode Razorback last November on my single speed using a 34x18 -it worked well. There were only about three small but steep uphills which I had to get off and push. You may want to try a 34x20 on a practice lap especially if you are running solo but I think a 34x18 will probably be the best gear.

mtbr member
    I actually took the trip down from Canada to the 12hr of Razorback last winter. I ran as a soloist on a geared dualie (Scalpel). I was doing well (lead lap and only ~25 min behind Tinker) until an injury took me out of the running at the 9 hr mark.

The course is a riot - quite technical and similar to what we ride up in Eastern Ontario/Southern Quebec. Although there's not much elevation, there's lots of steep & very transitional terrain. It keeps the HR pegged because there's no climbs where you can get into a rythm. The course is quite rocky in places (coral?) but my Python Air Lites with home brew sealant held up fine. Make sure your arms and lower back are up to speed - the course will give you a good pounding, especially if you're soloing. Towards the end of the loop there's a couple of fast sections which will loose some time for a SS.

If I had to ride it SS, I'd run a 32:15, maybe 32:14.

If you're lucky, you'll seen an Armadillo. Looks like a funky prehistoric rat or something.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fritZman; 01-31-2005 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

One More Thing

Thanks for the info. I am coming down unsupported and was wondering if the course passes through the pit area. Does anyone know? Obviously, this would make it easier to grab new bottles, food, etc. Otherwise may have to carry more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Arrive early Friday...

Gates open at 9:00AM and your best chance is to set up camp as close as possible to the scoring tent. The course does not run through the camping area itself.
    "Each man would endeavor to brew good beer, and may God bless his labors" - Hamburg Municipal Law, Germany 1410.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rounder
    saw you there little bit ago. whats up with the K2.

The K2 was a friends bike i used for two weeks to win the races in alifia and reddick. Due to a back problems, i had to sell my hardtail. Will be racing a SS Tomac Relvolver for the
    12 hour.