Geared conversions?- Mtbr.com
    Gone Bamboo

Good job! Geared conversions?

I want an SS. I had planned to convert the bike that I chose but the LBS always talked me out of it. Well after coming back to these subforums I realize I haven't been riding because I STILL Want an SS.

So, I was wondering if a Kona Blast could be converted and can anyone help me go about converting it? I read the FAQs but I am not that savvy with this kind of bicycle jargon (or the numbers).

Please someone else me out.

It is all stock and I posted a picture in the kona "post your pics" thread but can't find them, the fact that it is stock should provide information somewhere. Sorry.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act

Misfit Psycles
    Buy a conversion kit complete with all the fixings.
    16t cog and 4bolt 104 ring of the 32t variety...is that simple enough?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Gone Bamboo
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    Buy a conversion kit complete with all the fixings.
    16t cog and 4bolt 104 ring of the 32t variety...is that simple enough?

Ok so I don't think I will be using the chain tensioner I will just find the magic ratio. Currently I need to finish the back wheel; The hub is Shimano FH-M475 VIA-M and the cassette is a Shimano HyperGlide CS-HG50. I need a lock ring socket to remove it so I will pick that up today (along with a chain whip and chain breaker).

Also this is kind of a necro-post but it has useful information and questions related to the topic that need dire assistance.

And for a bit of off topicness I wanted new pedals that didn't have teeth that literally chew at my shins. Can anyone recommend anything for an FSA Alpha Drive and currently the pedals are Wellgo LU-926

P.S. "else me out" = Help me out, Haha. Can't edit the old post. Also I half ass measured from the chainring to the dropout with a tape measure and from the chainring (From the middle of the chainring aligned to the bottom bracket of the bike) to the rear dropout (the back wheel isn't finish yet) its approx. 18 inches or so. So possibly with the finished wheel on it might be give or take a few. 20-17 inches?

Ok I have put it all on and lined up the chainrings but my father bought a missing link and not a half link so the chain I have is half a link too long or too short. Stuck now at the chain. I need like an in/out (male/female) link or something.
    Last edited by UmbrousSoul; 04-10-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Misfit Psycles
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Gone Bamboo
    Yes sorry I did not update this post I found one on both misfit psycles but we just got one from a local LBS (I know the owners son but not really I guess). It worked wonders and now I don't need a tensioner at all. I posted my SingleSpeed Kona in the "Post Your Single Speed" I will edit my post and put up an "after ride" picture soon.

Perfect straight chain, no need for the tensioner. All it takes is a half-link and a master link. Perhaps you should start packaging that with your deluxe kit, people would love it more then that horrid horrid tensioner.

Members who have read this thread: 0