Gear Ratio Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gear Ratio Help

Did I catch a niner+?

Hope Gear Ratio Help

Now I did read the FAQ about this and used Sheldon Brown's calculator however I am still a bit puzzled.

I have a 1997 Trek Mountain Track 800 Sport that is converted to SS now. The gearing is 38:17 I'm using the middle chainring of the front basically and put a new freewheel on the back.

Well my issue with the calculator is it does not have the ratio option all I can see is Gain Ratio and Gear Inches which to be honest I do not understand call me stupid if you want. So is there another way to figure this out?

Specs for calulator:
    26x2.0
    160mm (this is a guess for now)
    Chainring: 38
    Cog: 18

Thanks for any help on this. I have not taken the bike offroad yet I will on Monday to a simple trail as this is my first SS offroad.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Reading way too far into it

38 divided by 17 =2. something
    38 divided by 19 = 2

If you want a touher gear get a smaller cog, easier pedaling get a bigger cog.

Dont worry about the other factors out there, just concentrate on your chain ring and cog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Here: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.c...it.applet.html plug the numbers in and it gives you everything you'd ever want to know. So easy.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

Members who have read this thread: 0