gear ratio for crested butte- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

gear ratio for crested butte

Hey, sorry if this topic has been beaten to death! I'm taking a trip to Crested Butte and I'm wondering what size cog you mountain people run in the back. I'm running a 32x18 on a 29'er in the flatlands of Chicago now. What do you guys run where there's actually mountains? THANKS!
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOZMTB
    Hey, sorry if this topic has been beaten to death! I'm taking a trip to Crested Butte and I'm wondering what size cog you mountain people run in the back. I'm running a 32x18 on a 29'er in the flatlands of Chicago now. What do you guys run where there's actually mountains? THANKS!
    Never ridden Crested Butte but I am from Ontario which is also flat and had a similar dilemma when traveling down south to ride Fruita/Moab and the Kokopelli trail. I'm sure someone can post back with some first hand experience...

For what it is worth,,,I brought down a few cogs to see what worked and found a 32x20 to be great. There were a few climbs that needed to be walked but that was mostly due to loose terrain. I imagine a 32x21 would be just about perfect (biggest I had was a 20T).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am a local and ride 32x21 on my 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOZMTB
    It depends on you. Can you adapt to altitude? Are you used to standing and cranking (sprinting) even on the flatlands of Chicago? If yes to both then you can get by with 32x18. Just slow your pace. If you expect to sit and spin up hills then put on a bigger cog.

Members who have read this thread: 0