Gear inches- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gear inches

surly inbred

Gear inches

My parts bin looks like a ****ing cassette factory projectile vomited in every corner. What that really means is that these days I tend to count inches, not teeth.

How much change must you input to detect change?

Yes, I'm a ****ing ***** trying to decide how far I can go without losing my mancard. Or, really I just want more climbing ability without giving up too much on the other end. Or, Or... I might want to buy a cog and need the masses to make up my ****ing mind. Anyone else need a beer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not a good rider here. I can feel the difference in 2T. Funny thing is that, I don't feel that big of a change when I was riding geared. I used to pop a few gears at one go.

The need for singlespeed
    I have 16, 17, and 18t cogs and have my favorite for all my local trails, so yes I can tell the diff. But since I went to a threaded hub, I stick with one WI FW since those things are goddamn expensive and a betch to change out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    +1 beer (left hand milk stout)

What gearing are you running? What elevations are you hitting?

Have you thought about "cheating" and running a dingle setup with two different gearings that allow quick swap? The 4 tooth rule could let you swap quickly if you don't need a big ratio change..

Spandex Ninja
    Recently went up 5.5 gear inches (46.6 to 52.1) on my 29er. Roughly equal to subtracting 2 teeth in the rear. It is definitely noticeable. I am doing my typical loop about 10% faster than before with this gearing, but the technical climbs are noticeably harder (but not impossible).

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Bring a sixxer or doughnuts to your local mechanic (*hint* the local mechanic in Canton prefers the latter) and discuss.

+/- on cogs are much more noticeable; rings are more subtle.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Blow out the sand and go for a ride. Repeat as necessary.

Members who have read this thread: 0