FTM

Gear envy - sometimes (long)

Yesterday morning I had to go in to work early and forgoe my usual 6:30am ride. I finished up everything at my office and got out just after noon.

Time for a nice long ride! Didn't have enough time for Strawberry Peak so I figured I would take a look at the Ken Burton trail - it's warm enough and I've got time for all those nasty water crossings. Since Ken Burton is rarely traveled I leave a note for my wife telling her where I'll be an that I'll be back by 4:30 at the latest. I hop on my bike and leave the house at 1:00pm. Nice quick ride to the trail and start the my usual climb up the Brown Mountain fire-road.

Damn, it's not usually this hard!
    Say hi to a guy on a nice new s-works F/S bike who is trying to catch some shade from a shrub by the side of the road.

Keep mashing away.

How hot is it? I'm used to a nice mid 50s. Check my cycle computer...

it clicks over to 110 right after I take the picture.

Keep mashing away.

Hmm, wonder if I can hide and snag that s-works when it comes by? Gears would make this so much easier. Maybe he turned around.

Keep mashing away.

Finally hit the first saddle - 14 minutes slower than my usual ride.
    Find some shade.
    I'm done. I'm going home.

20 minutes later... well I'll just go to the top and then turn around.
    The second part is easier and I'm only about 5 minutes slower than usual. Hmm, maybe I will try Ken Burton. Not sure if I can make it home in time with the unknown conditions at the bottom. I'll just ride it for a little bit and see how it goes.

Heavily overgrown but a lot of fun - I don't care about the gears anymore.

Continue on a little while longer... am about halfway down and I make an incredibly stupid fixed-gear-rookie move and end up with my knee-cap slammed into the top of my fork crown, almost loosing my balance over a really steep and long drop. OK, don't need multiple gears but a freewheel would be nice.

Heat and low blood sugar are not a good combination. Should have had lunch, idiot. Rummage though my Camelbak (which I haven't worn in months but am glad I have now - refer to other thread for Cammelbak debate if you like) and find an old protein bar. Eat it, sit in shade, turn around and head back up.

Decide to hit El Prieto on my way back home. Streams and shade would be a nice end to this ride.

Cooling off a bit in the stream...

Actually, I like my bike just the way it is.

It's the engine that needs to be smarter.

Rode up to the house at 4:27.

Cubicle Fugitive

Good job! Nice.

. . .

[Thinking back whistfully to what I was doing between 1:00 and 4:27 yesterday afternoon. . .]

mtbr member
    You are a super stud. Riding fixed with only a front brake off road. Wow. I want to try it with some cross tires.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by williamf777
    You are a super stud. Riding fixed with only a front brake off road. Wow. I want to try it with some cross tires.
    I do have two amazing daughters but am so far from stud. I also have two brakes - Avid Mech for front and my legs for the back. Would never ride without a front brake except on a track. You should try it, it's fun. I prefer tires with more volume but whatever works for you.

mtbr member
    The only wheels that I can make fixed are 700c. So those with cross tires will fit in my standard SS bike. I am just trying to use what I gots. Fixed off road has a certain sort of allure to it that I must try. If it is anything like fixed on the road, It will be fun.