Gear Clamp- any reviews here???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Gear Clamp- any reviews here???

I'm new to single speed. For those who tried it? Pros and Cons..Thanks

Here it is..GearClamp - Singlespeed Conversion Kit

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I used it and I'm not that impressed. In theory it works well, but I didn't find it to work too well on the bike. With the slop of the cog on the freehub body and then the clamps on the freehub body it would also allow the cog to be out of square or perpendicularity on the freehub body. I tried different ways of tightening the clamps and etc the cog would either be loose right there or it would loosen up and have some wiggle room shortly after. This was with the chainline dead nuts too. If you tinker with it you can get it to work but I don't feel as though it's superior to the spacer method. To assure the clamps and cog are perpendicular to the freehub body you have to use something like spacers to get a reference point, tighten the inner clamp, remove spacers and then tighten outer clamp. Also, I found that the clamp twists at the split when tightening if you're not careful causing play in the cog. Could I make the gear clamp work? Yep, sure could, but is it superior to the other method? Nope, not in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Check out this thread I started a couple days ago. It has more info from users on these clamps.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/s...sy-827082.html

mtbr member
    Thanks sprocket47. I'm going to close my issue or Search could have been my friend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been using the gear clamps on my On One Inbred 26" for the last month. I have noticed no problem with chainline and movement in the freewheel. I would recommend you try for yourself. It means you can change cogs with an allen key. in my opinion easier on the fly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff24 View Post
    It means you can change cogs with an allen key. in my opinion easier on the fly.
    But do you ever need to do that - change sprockets "on the fly" I mean? It only takes two or three minutes using a chain whip and lockring tool anyway and, as in the posts above, I feel the spacer system is a far better way mechanically and looks tidier and cleaner too.

mtbr member
    My only thing about the gear clamp is that it looks like you wouldn't be able to use a cog smaller than a 16t, otherwise it would be something to try out, and if it's cheaper than using a spacer kit.
    Finally rolling on 29" x 2.0" Schwalbe Big Apples

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThundaCrymz View Post
    My only thing about the gear clamp is that it looks like you wouldn't be able to use a cog smaller than a 16t, otherwise it would be something to try out, and if it's cheaper than using a spacer kit.
    To use smaller cogs, just install a 5 or 10mm spacer on each side of the cog between the clamps. This way it gives room for the chain to clear the clamping points.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I use a GearClamp. Yes, a single GearClamp. I use spacers on the inside, then a GearClamp against the cog. No problems so far. Easy to change cogs, and not a lot of fiddling with the inside clamp to get the chainline right.

Before someone asks, "Is it so hard to get out a chain whip and change a cog the traditional way?" Yes, yes it is. Every time I use a chain whip I somehow end up with bloody knuckles. So, yes, for me it is. I prefer this solution.

Members who have read this thread: 2