Which Gear?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which Gear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Which Gear?

Hi,

New to SS and bikeing in general.

I just purchased a Monocog 29er that I use to commute (13ish miles 1 way) 4-5 days a week and want to trail ride on the weekends.

Day 3 on the SS and I know I will need a bigger gear for the commute, I average 13mph with the current gearing. I try to just keep a constant rythm even if there is no resistance on my pedals rather then pedaling like a mad man and try to do no coasting.
    This is the first computer ive had on a bike so no clue what an average speed should be, but people with gears are blowing by me.

I sold my geared Raleigh 06 Mojave 5.5 (to buy the redline) not sure what the gearing on it was but I pretty much stayed with a 2 on the left shifter and a 5-8 on the right shifter.
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...=11&itemid=286

I honestly like not having the skipping of the multi gears and like the simplicity of the SS but I think I will need to go the 1x3or4 route to commute+mtn bike.

Which gear do I change? (front or rear?)
    What size gear do you suggest changing it to?
    Do I need any special tools? (press? torque wrench?)
    What all do I need to buy if I decide to go 1x3 1x4? And can this be done myself at home.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Feclar
    Hi,

New to SS and bikeing in general.

I just purchased a Monocog 29er that I use to commute (13ish miles 1 way) 4-5 days a week and want to trail ride on the weekends.

Day 3 on the SS and I know I will need a bigger gear for the commute, I average 13mph with the current gearing. I try to just keep a constant rythm even if there is no resistance on my pedals rather then pedaling like a mad man and try to do no coasting.
    This is the first computer ive had on a bike so no clue what an average speed should be, but people with gears are blowing by me.

I sold my geared Raleigh 06 Mojave 5.5 (to buy the redline) not sure what the gearing on it was but I pretty much stayed with a 2 on the left shifter and a 5-8 on the right shifter.
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...=11&itemid=286

I honestly like not having the skipping of the multi gears and like the simplicity of the SS but I think I will need to go the 1x3or4 route to commute+mtn bike.

Which gear do I change? (front or rear?)
    What size gear do you suggest changing it to?
    Do I need any special tools? (press? torque wrench?)
    What all do I need to buy if I decide to go 1x3 1x4? And can this be done myself at home.
    Wow. Lots going on here. I switched out my 34 tooth ring for a 44 tooth and ran 44:20, then on the weekend switched it back to my "mountain" gear. This worked well for rolling terrain. Sure competant roadies could blow by me, but I was able to maintain a 16-17 mph avg. with the 44:20 (pretty respectible given it is a MTB with slicks and not a super tall gear). I suggest a 2x2, whereby you run 2 rings and 2 cogs. Separate the tooth count by say 4 teeth for the ring and the cog, eg. 32:20 36:16 (add 4 up front subtract 4 in back). Go commute on the 36:16, and on weekends, drop the wheel, slide the chain to the small ring, and the large cog, reverse on Sunday. Done and done, drink beer.

EDIT: Tools needed: chain whip, cassette lockring removal tool (splined, fits into cassette body), crescent wrench 10-12 inch, allen keys (up to 10 mm), crank extractor (unless you have self extracting crank arm bolts), chain breaker, extra links to adjust gearing etc. No press, torque wrench optional (if you do get one, get an inch-pound first). Simple Craftsman works fine.

I solved my commuting issues with purchasing a commuter bike
    Last edited by Meat Foot; 06-21-2006 at 12:12 PM.
    Tuff Schist

Members who have read this thread: 0